Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I object to today's Republican march.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

breandan wrote:
    As a Republican I dont really care if it is or not!
    This may sound like a horrible thing to say and Im sure Im gonna get a shed load of abuse on this forum for saying it but its my view that its upto the Republican movement to make the ending of partition the number one priority for this country and to force the people to face it by any means necassary.
    And yes at a future date if that again calls for war to acheive this goal then so be it.

Sorry, war with who, precisely? Are we talking death camps to readjust the population of the North so that it'll vote your way? Or just plain invasion? Have you actually THOUGHT about this at all, or did you just blurt it out?

When you invade a country, you're probably going wrong somewhere, generally....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

breandan wrote:
    This may sound like a horrible thing to say and Im sure Im gonna get a shed load of abuse on this forum for saying it but its my view that its upto the Republican movement to make the ending of partition the number one priority for this country and to force the people to face it by any means necassary.
    And yes at a future date if that again calls for war to acheive this goal then so be it.
    I agree with the present strategy adopted by mainstream Republicanism and I sincerly hope the peaceful route works but if not then other ways may again at some point in the future have to be found.

Actually it depends if you want to abide by the laws of the democracy you live in. A Democracy is basically = Majority rule via an electorial system. Of course if you want to ignore this, and dictate where the lines on the map are drawn, regardless of what the people want. Well you won't be the first in history to be more concerned about drawing lines on a map than the needs of the people it effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

breandan wrote:
    its my view that its upto the Republican movement to make the ending of partition the number one priority for this country and to force the people to face it by any means necassary.

You will also accept then, that any Unionist will have the view after unification that its up to them to re-instate partition (or full integration of Ireland into the UK) by any means necessary???

Violence begets violence. If your stance merits "any means necessary", then so should the opposing stance for someone of the opposing viewpoint.

Hardly a smart route to finding a lasting solution, unless - as I suggested on another thread - you're suggesting genocide.

jc

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bonkey wrote:
    You will also accept then, that any Unionist will have the view after unification that its up to them to re-instate partition (or full integration of Ireland into the UK) by any means necessary???
    Why would he accept any such thing? He's a Republican, so he's right. They're Unionists, so they're wrong.

I mean c'mon jc, try to keep up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

breandan wrote:
    I agree with the present strategy adopted by mainstream Republicanism and I sincerly hope the peaceful route works but if not then other ways may again at some point in the future have to be found.

Um, why?

This is something that you are willing to see your countrymen, kill and die for, so I'm assuming you can elaborate on why we should do this. Leaving aside historical reasons, what possible benefit for us and the rest of the this Island could be reaped, in any real sense from reunification?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

breandan wrote:
    but its my view that its upto the Republican movement to make the ending of partition the number one priority for this country and to force the people to face it by any means necassary.

You think a handful of terrorists should force the people of Ireland to accept a position they don't want, the reason being they should want it even if they don't actually want it? That doesn't make any sense :confused: What is the point of unification if no one but a handful of people want it?

It seems to me the reasons for a united ireland have been completely lost to people in the republic movement like yourself. It has become this mystical holy grail that people all must strive for, but most people seem to have no idea why exactly, as if uniting the country will just magically make everyone happy.

And now you are saying that even if most people don't want it we should still fight for it because ... er ... well .. I have no idea ... this has got all very silly indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Sand

And now you are saying that even if most people don't want it we should still fight for it because ... er ... well .. I have no idea ... this has got all very silly indeed

You have to accept that Provos and their theology are rooted in the most violent, anti democratic and sectarian strains of republicanism, beginning with the refusal to accept the authority of the Dail and the majority of Irish people back in the 20s, setting themselves up as a military junta by divine right and rejecting every compromise or peace iniative right up until 1994 when it became apparent to most Provos that they had lost. And the current deal has been sold on a nod and a wink basis to the Provos. The mindset, as demonstrated, hasnt changed a bit. Theyll still murder anyone to move a line on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

oscarBravo wrote:
    I mean c'mon jc, try to keep up...

Sorry. Sorry.

Bit ill at the moment. Not thinking all that well...

jc

Sand wrote:
    ...Theyll still murder anyone to move a line on the map.

Thats what it comes down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Or to move a line of coke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

breandan wrote:

To be honest it is disingenuous of you to show up, dump an arcane and anachronistic view on the world and scurry off again. Defend your position properly and let's what it is really based on.

murphaph wrote:
    Or to move a line of coke
    Low blow....LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Low blow
    :D

Advertisement