Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

Does anyone have an opinion of ParkMews??

Any one ever stay there??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Conmc88 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion of ParkMews??

Any one ever stay there??

Do you drive?

Its a long walk to UL from there. probably 35 mins or so to the main building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iStudentina

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a room in Groody. Does anyone know what the smoking situation is like there? Do people smoke inside houses in Ireland?
    Is it possible to request a non-smoker house?

Thank you so much for your help. :)

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a room in Groody. Does anyone know what the smoking situation is like there? Do people smoke inside houses in Ireland?

chances are you'll be living with someone who doesnt smoke and if ye do ye can all gang up on them and make them smoke outside :D
    . Im not sure if they do smoking or non smoking houses in groody.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Hi,

As far as I'm aware they're not really smoking/non-smoking houses, however most people do have the decency to go outside the front door to smoke. Like mentioned if you do get a housemate that smokes just ask them politely to smoke outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Karjalaa

Hi,

I actually asked them about that a couple of weeks ago since I too was worried, this was the answer I got:

"In relation to smoking the accomodation is non smoking but some students do smoke as we do not have the control to police inside each apartment. Im sure it would be down to all the housemates whether they accept it or not."

I just sent in my application for a room at Groody. I've been looking at accommodation for weeks and couldn't decide which one to go with but today I had enough and just sent them an application, I hope someone will sell me a cheap bike, haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14 blargh i cant pick a name

Could anyone comment on the internet in courtyard? Wired/ Wireless, speed, whether theres any significant congestion at peak times, ports blocked (p2p, xbox live), etc.

Also i hear the security there is ****, Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Also i hear the security there is ****, Is that true?

Re. Security, how strict are they in Plassey? Could you bring people into your house for the night without any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Word of warning to anyone who's thinking of Groody the internet there is shockingly slow. So much so that I wouldn't live there again.

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Re. Security, how strict are they in Plassey? Could you bring people into your house for the night without any problems?

Depends on the time of year but if you do get them in and don't sign them in its a 200euro fine if caught.

Security will be very strict if anything is on and will also be more strict on sundays, tuesdays and thursdays.

If ye just have friends over and are in before 10 and aren't making noise there wudnt be any problems.

• Advertisement

Word of warning to anyone who's thinking of Groody the internet there is shockingly slow. So much so that I wouldn't live there again.

Where can one live with a decent internet connection for approximately the same price as at Groody? Courtyard told me that they have no rooms available only for the autumn semester and I don't want to book the full year yet... but Internet is really important! What speed are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Karjalaa wrote: »
    Where can one live with a decent internet connection for approximately the same price as at Groody? Courtyard told me that they have no rooms available only for the autumn semester and I don't want to book the full year yet... but Internet is really important! What speed are we talking about?

The wifi was grand at the start of semester 1 last year and by the end of the year it was hit and miss. That's the wireless though and there are ethernet ports in the bedrooms, though I never tried them out.

iLaura wrote: »
    The wifi was grand at the start of semester 1 last year and by the end of the year it was hit and miss. That's the wireless though and there are ethernet ports in the bedrooms, though I never tried them out.

ah okay! Now you answered another question of mine, I was wondering whether I would have to bring a wireless router or something but I guess I don't have to :) Hopefully the wired connection is better :)

Karjalaa wrote: »
    ah okay! Now you answered another question of mine, I was wondering whether I would have to bring a wireless router or something but I guess I don't have to :) Hopefully the wired connection is better :)

The router is handy if you want to use the internet in the living room.

You'd pick one up in the city cheap enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Wired connection was just as bad I'm afraid. I tested it at form time to time and it was as slow as 0.5MG. Very frustrating stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

is it too late to apply on campus accommodation as a first year?

Probably. You will probably be put on the waiting list, which you should try because many people put down their accommodation just in case they have to go to that college (UL could be no. 3,4 or 5 on their CAO and they might not get it) etc. so you will move up the queue. I think it'd be worth calling the individual villages over the weekend (or Monday if closed) and pay the deposit ASAP.

I'm pretty sure you get refunded if you do not get a place due to it being booked up, someone will have to clarify that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eternal student 27

Hi I am considering renting a 2 bed for just myself in Brookfield hall. I am mature student doing a Phd so I just want somewhere quiet to study.

Is there excessive noise in Brookfield? will I hear noise if apartment beneath/beside me are making noise?

Are the security good re noise issues?

Also I heard the internet is crap- is this true?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

Hi I am considering renting a 2 bed for just myself in Brookfield hall. I am mature student doing a Phd so I just want somewhere quiet to study.

Is there excessive noise in Brookfield? will I hear noise if apartment beneath/beside me are making noise?

Are the security good re noise issues?

Also I heard the internet is crap- is this true?

Thanks

Just go to groody, i'd avoid brookfield if i were you

Why ? what's wrong with brookfield?

• Advertisement

Just go to groody, i'd avoid brookfield if i were you

Could you elaborate please

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I've a post back in this thread somewhere that highlights my opinions on each. Especially groody. Great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

its a ****hole

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anyone else not gotten an invoice to pay for on campus accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

I got a letter about damage costs from last year but nothing about paying for next year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

phish wrote: »
    I got a letter about damage costs from last year but nothing about paying for next year.

Out of interest, did you choose deposit rollover? I did and it says I've to "top-up" the deposit because of deductions, yet no info on how to do this...

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Has anyone else not gotten an invoice to pay for on campus accommodation?

You won't get that until after the results AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Out of interest, did you choose deposit rollover? I did and it says I've to "top-up" the deposit because of deductions, yet no info on how to do this...

Ya I did. Last year I just had to add on the balance to the first installment. So say if you needed to add €50 to bring up the deposit you paid an extra €50 with your first installment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

phish wrote: »
    Ya I did. Last year I just had to add on the balance to the first installment. So say if you needed to add €50 to bring up the deposit you paid an extra €50 with your first installment.

Cheers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭21 Schump Street

Is 22 too old to be living in Plassey or Kilmurry as an incoming first year?

Advertisement