Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Diploma in Computing in Software Development

Options
  • 02-09-2005 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

i took a year out of collage/left for a year and reapplyed to the CAO again this year for a different course. i just got accepted in the second round offers for a National Diploma in Computing in Software Development in GMIT.

Here's where the problem is maths wouldn't be my strong point at all and i'm assuming there would be a lot of maths and programming in this course. Am i right in saying that or is there people out there that have done this and can give me more info?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

Hey, i actually knew a guy that did engineering in GMIT, lots of math’s, lots of programming… engineering and I.T. rely on math’s as a base for beginning..

they should have tutorials and study sessions tho if you are serious and not there for the beer reasons..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I done this the first time i went to college and the math's was serious hard, we had a brutal teacher too and it was why i quit the course, programming was very easy though had a lot of help from the teacher and the maths was pretty basic in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Why did you apply for it then? Yes, Software Development has a large Maths part (I'm doing Software engineering in DCU). If it's something you're genuinely interested in, you'll work hard to try and stay in it. It's easily doable unless you have no capability for maths at all.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

I did the National Diploma in Software Development in DKIT , and then went onto do the degree.

Like yourself maths is was not my strong point (still isn't) , in fact i hated it, it used to drive me up the walls.
    but the simple truth of it is that you have to tackle the maths head on, do it everyday, each time you do some new therom or technique or whatever, go home with it fresh in your mind and work it out again. If you have some mates who are pretty good at maths get them to help you out a bit.
    You'd be surprised how clear things like that become when a mate explains them.
    I know it sounds like a load of obvious b.s but it got me through the exams etc.

The thing about programming and software development though, is that you really have to want it, especially when it comes to maybe going on to do the degree, the course I did was very project intensive and there was always something to hand in. The maths adds a bit of drag to your workload if you don't have an aptitude for it, but don't let it defeat you before you start, its a case of just putting in the work.

Advertisement