Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's an idea

Options
  • 31-08-2005 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

How about a regular date (say the last saturday of the month) for reunions, big ones, not just the little-few-people-hanging-around-the-green-type-affair but the mass invasions like last week's.

Always seemed like a good idea to me, people would know when they are and what's what and sure there's nothing to stop y'all gathering up other people at other times during the month.

Should we have big-mad reunions once a month? 36 votes

YAAAR!
    0% 0 votes
    Em, sure, why not?
    77% 28 votes
    Hey look! Something shiny!
    16% 6 votes
    Eh, not as such...
    2% 1 vote
    NEVAR!
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Well, I'm up for it anyway. As long as the townifications keep up aswell, tis great! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 invisibleghost

Well, I do have to deliver a bunch of papers the last weekend of every month :( and I'm busy every Sunday :mad: ... so... Yes! YAAAR! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Seeing as it's term time I doubt we'd get the same amount of people seeing as alot of CTYIers live in not-Dublin or are in Boarding school *glares at Pierce and Ellen*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I have teh 6th year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Same. And teh broke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Well, I'm not sure how convenient it would be, but it's the best thing we could do.
    YAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!!
    Now, is that something shiny I see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

I see that like every other tradition you're trying to kill this one aswell by milking it to hell and back.What makes you think that people will show up, because you say so?

Nobody's making anybody show up. It's not ruining any traditions, it's a lot of fun! You dont have to go to them, so you could have just said 'no' or ignored the topic. If you dont want to go, it's your loss. We'll all enjoy ourselves anyway.

Please stop picking at everything you dont like. Do yourself a favour and get just a little bit of cop on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

LiamD wrote:
    I see that like every other tradition you're trying to kill this one aswell by milking it to hell and back.What makes you think that people will show up, because you say so?

Em....what?

What other traditions have i purportedly killed?

This suggestion is just because in the reunion thread of old there were all sorta of last minute affairs or people trying to rally up and few randomers and the like and I thought this'd be a way of keeping in contact with more people on a regular basis.

As far me expecting people to show up cause I say so....well, I'm not, it's a suggestion, an idea for debate or approval. I don't think anything in my original post could be construed as an instruction.

Not you personally, but in general most of the traditions have been done to overkill by many e.g. the bathrobes, random X days, Jolt 'addiction' etc.

Your suggestion might have made more sense in the old reunion thread, as you said, but since the new reunion forum was made it is much easier for people to see the date and location of a reunion.I don't see any need for that to be changed, because it is now easier than ever for someone to arrange a reunion if they want.

• Advertisement

Traditions change anyway. Many old ones die out, be it from overkill or just no interest in it, new ones come in their place. Things cant stay the same forever, they'll have some new traditions at CTYI in the next few years, I'd imagine, though of course there'll always be a few of the same.

It's handy to have a date set anyway though, as many reunions are last-minute, as John said, so this way works in my opinion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i personally don't like the idea - mainly because obviously you're not gonna get humungous crowds at the green every month, because of ctyiers being boggers or whatever. i think that trying to have big reunions every month will take away from REAL big reunions (the kind that happen like, twice or three times a year) because you'll get different people coming up at different months etc and so it'll be harder for everyone to be in the one place for a HUGE reunion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Raphael wrote:
    Same. And teh broke

Same, apart from the first same, which signified 6th year, which I don't have. Also, I am a bogg-man, so no often-reunionness for me, I'm afraid. Plus, I have a nasty habit of getting horribly lost and/or stranded after reunions... It's a great idea, though 'fyask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

If given a week's notice and a guarantee that I'll know at least three people every time, I'll hit up every reunion, bringing with me a cake the first time.

I will also rap-battle anyone who cares to try.

Stupid lazy culchies, get off your arses and to the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

LiamD wrote:
    In general most of the traditions have been done to overkill by many e.g. the bathrobes...Jolt 'addiction' etc.
    You were at CTYI for what, 2004-2005?
    The bathrobes have been around since the 90s, it's a Thursday thing, read Hitchhikers, ya might get it, or then again, not. Caffeine is addictive. Caffeine is in Jolt. To some people Jolt tastes better than coffee. Addiction IS possible, and occurs often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

LiamD wrote:
    since the new reunion forum was made it is much easier for people to see the date and location of a reunion.I don't see any need for that to be changed, because it is now easier than ever for someone to arrange a reunion if they want.

Liam, a lot of people aren't on boards. Including most of the people I hang around with.

I think it would be a great idea if it worked, but every month? I don't think you'd get a HUGE turn-out (like the August 27th reunion - LEGENDARY!) but a good few people would probably show...

So yes, I'm in favour of it.

I've been there since 2002 and you said it yourself, the bathrobes thing has been around since the 90s.Around 10 years?That seems to be a bit of an overkill to me.In fact, to everyone except you hardcore CTYIers.This year Eoin Carolan insisted that no-one wore a bathrobe to his class because 'it's been done to death and is now just a bit sad'.As you know he's been there since pretty much the start.

Fair enough, some people find caffeine addictive, mmk, but that is no reason for obsession with Jolt.If you need caffeine have a cup of coffee, or if you don't like coffee then havecoke, only the most popular soft drink in the world.What's the obsession with Cola that doesn't really have all that much caffeine in it and doesn't taste that great either.If a smoker craves nicotine they will be satisfied by any cigarette.It's the exact same with caffeine.

I'm not saying I'm not in favour of reunions, quite the opposite but I don't think the monthly reunions would be a good idea.People are busy during the year and if you went around saying there's going to be a big reunion every month people would not be able to tell which are the real big reunions e.g. mid term.I know there's a group of you that like to go to town every Saturday and thats fair enough but monthly big reunions isn't gonna happen like the way you guys always meet up.That's just a group of friends meeting up, which is what most people do during the year anyway.

LiamD wrote:
    I've been there since 2002 and you said it yourself, the bathrobes thing has been around since the 90s.Around 10 years?That seems to be a bit of an overkill to me.In fact, to everyone except you hardcore CTYIers.This year Eoin Carolan insisted that no-one wore a bathrobe to his class because 'it's been done to death and is now just a bit sad'.As you know he's been there since pretty much the start.
    So what you're saying is that the thing with the dressing gowns has been done for 10 years and has become a regular CTYI activity. A tradition if you will. I see how that could be a problem :rolleyes:
    LiamD wrote:
    Fair enough, some people find caffeine addictive, mmk, but that is no reason for obsession with Jolt.If you need caffeine have a cup of coffee, or if you don't like coffee then havecoke, only the most popular soft drink in the world.What's the obsession with Cola that doesn't really have all that much caffeine in it and doesn't taste that great either.If a smoker craves nicotine they will be satisfied by any cigarette.It's the exact same with caffeine.
    Wrong. Jolt has more caffeine than any other non-coffee drink, excepting Red Bull. Moreover in a lot of cases caffeine addiction is not a chemical reliancy but a reliance on the effect, and Jolt is very effective, if only for Placebo value.

That said, you make a good point. It's better to keep CTYI reunions to a 2/3 time a year basis. Hell, CTYIzens are traditionally non-contormist and sporadic, fixing a particular date like that is hardly in keeping with the CTYI spirit =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Pyschopath666

LiamD wrote:
    If a smoker craves nicotine they will be satisfied by any cigarette...

Yet dont we all have our favourite brands and type of way to get our fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Yanniscaus

hmmm....well at first i was all YARRRR!! and the like, but then i thought about it for a few seconds. ysee, i'm sure almost everybody has something regularly on a saturday or sunday(i do on saturday), and for us boggers going to dublin would take up the bulk of 2 days....for me anyway cause statistics tell that ive got a 50% chance of missing the bus home and having to stay the night, or catching the wrong bus, hence ending up somewhere in leatroim.
    that said tho, i do agree with a reunion every month, but not big ones, coz nobody would be going regularly by the end of the year. however, we could decide on 2 or 3 of these small reunions and make them the big ones,and try and get the mass turnout that i didnt see last week, coz i missed it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

*agrees with Yann*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Wrong. Jolt has more caffeine than any other non-coffee drink

How does anyone know that? There is no info on the bottle at all. Other than it is the same as a cup of coffee. which i would say coke is the same

Jolt has 71.5mg per serving. Coke has 46.5mg.

Coffee however can have anywhere from 90-180 in the same amount though.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

i personally don't like the idea - mainly because obviously you're not gonna get humungous crowds at the green every month, because of ctyiers being boggers or whatever. i think that trying to have big reunions every month will take away from REAL big reunions (the kind that happen like, twice or three times a year) because you'll get different people coming up at different months etc and so it'll be harder for everyone to be in the one place for a HUGE reunion.

Nail on head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Karluss wrote:

I'm doing beatbox.
    if you don't like coffee then havecoke, only the most popular soft drink in the world.

Yes, because that's a good reason for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

Raphael wrote:
    . Hell, CTYIzens are traditionally non-contormist and sporadic
    yes aonghus,
    contormist. :rolleyes:

I don't conform to normal rules of spelling, that was deliberately done to make a point
    [/bull****]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Karlusss wrote:
    If given a week's notice and a guarantee that I'll know at least three people every time, I'll hit up every reunion, bringing with me a cake the first time.

Stupid lazy culchies, get off your arses and to the city.
    1st point: Same for me. Except the cake bit, I'll probably just eat yours. Make it coffee, if you can.
    2nd point: Err, go ahead Karl.
    3rd point/abuse: Perhaps I should add that if you in any way diss Dublin, Karl may just kill you. Horribly. While reading Dubliners. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hey, I'm reading that book currently.

</OTness>

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

This is a lovely concise version of what I was going to say! Although I guess you could just have a regular meeting up each month, and save the big reunion effort for the midterms and Christmas and Easter and whatever.
    Also, I think Liam does have a point - the dressing gown thing has been way overdone. It's kinda like the way I think of pink shirts on guys, it was alright when it was only a few people doing it but suddenly everyone's wearing them and you can't work out what the big deal is. and yes, I have read all five Hitchhiker books, seen the TV series, watched the film and heard a couple of the radio programmes so I understand the significance of it

Advertisement