Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you really think of poetry? Be honest?

Options
  • 30-08-2005 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Do you enjoy it? Hate it? Find it inaccessible? Think it's all waffle? Other thoughts on poetry? Share them here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'm maybe a bit young to properly appreciate fine poetry but I enjoy the odd verse here and there.

One thing that can put me off poetry is that I'm not a fellow who likes to beat round the bush and I like to call a spade a spade. That being said I do enjoy some of the poetry on my course.

Poetry in the form of Homer and Virgil I can't get enough of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I appreciate poetry in the form of lyrics. LC English put me off a lot of stuff except for Emily Dickinson

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'll read anything - but poetry.

Can't stand it.
    Even small poems at the start of a chapter in a book annoy me.

As for amateur poetry such as the type people read during wedding speeches - my kingdom for a hand grenade. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

As for amateur poetry such as the type people read during wedding speeches - my kingdom for a hand grenade. ;)

My sentimens are similar, wedding poetry is one thing that shall not come into my wedding in any way, shape or foem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'll read anything - but poetry.

Can't stand it.
    Even small poems at the start of a chapter in a book annoy me.

Could you identify the exact features of poetry that cause such revulsion in you? I am curious! Is it the ambiguity? Or do you find that the poetry you read is sloppy/poorly-constructed/mawkish/other?

I'm curious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I'm indifferent to most poetry, although I don't have trouble appreciating it. I'm just not overly *interested* in appreciating it. Well - most of it. Soundings is actually one of only three books I've kept after secondary school - the other two being the two LC history books.

When I was doing my LC Emily Dickinson wasn't on my course that particular year, but I saw her poems in Soundings and thought they were much more interesting than the other poets on my course. So I bought a massive bumper book of all her 1,700+ poems. Its still the only real poetry book I own. I occassionally open it on a random page and pick a poem to read.

I also really digged Paradise Lost in the LC. That rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't really know where to start with this.

I love poetry, or have done in the past. I don't read so much of it now. But, I think, of all the art forms out there it seems to get the bummest deal from people. I can't help but wonder, when people say they hate poetry, how much of it they've read?

I think part of the problem is that first introductions go to the "greats", and if you don't like these then the impression given is that poetry isn't for you. Don't like Yeats, Shelley, Wordsworth, Keats, Shakespeare? Then obviously it's not for you. Thing is, a lot of the greats write the same way about the same things (not to say there isn't any difference in the above bunch, there is, but if one of these artist's works does not appeal to you what are the chances of something very similar solving the problem?).

There's a world of undiscovered goodness out there where people might find a voice that appeals to them. Whether it's the comic, often sardonic, verse of Nash, or the haunting lines of De La Mare it doesn't matter, but if you don't look you can't know.

Another problem it faces is the vast gulf between the rank amateur and the skilled practitioner. Nowhere is this more apparent than in poetry. We can dance to bad music, or laugh at bad acting, but the only use for bad poetry is to help light a fire.

There's more to it than that. Most readers don't put in the effort, or perhaps don't realise effort needs to be made, to enjoy poetry fully. Some poems need to be lived in before they yield their fruit.

But I've said enough about others (and enough fullstop for the moment!). Perhaps I'll elucidate on what is great about poetry in another post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Earthhorse wrote:
    Another problem it faces is the vast gulf between the rank amateur and the skilled practitioner. Nowhere is this more apparent than in poetry. We can dance to bad music, or laugh at bad acting, but the only use for bad poetry is to help light a fire.

Good point.

Also, like most things poetry is very subjective, and its each to their own.

I like longish (no Homerian Epics please) lyrical poems, full of ryhme and not too cryptic, such as The Raven, and powerful war poems such as Charge of the Light Brigade, Dulce et Decorum Est. I'm not a fan of poems about everyday things e.g. Heaney, though he has his moments.

From the LC I liked Liz Bishop and Philip Larkin most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 the dice man

i like reading some poetry every now and again.

i think its the freest form of expression but also quite hard to get into as at first glance a lot of poems can be hard to understand. I like picking up the LC books where questions are asked about the poem. I think this helps me figure them out.

I also think poetry has taken a dive in the last 50 years because of the record. Now there’s more poetry in songs than in books. Who can argue that people like bob Dylan aren’t poets?

My favorite poet is probably Bukowski. He banged out so many of them. They’re very easy to read and most are pointless but funny. And then every now and again you’ll read one like this

a smile to remember

we had goldfish and they circled around and around
    in the bowl on the table near the heavy drapes
    covering the picture window and
    my mother, always smiling, wanting us all
    to be happy, told me, "be happy Henry!"
    and she was right: it's better to be happy if you
    can
    but my father continued to beat her and me several times a week while
    raging inside his 6-foot-two frame because he couldn't
    understand what was attacking him from within.

my mother, poor fish,
    wanting to be happy, beaten two or three times a
    week, telling me to be happy: "Henry, smile!
    why don't you ever smile?"

and then she would smile, to show me how, and it was the
    saddest smile I ever saw

one day the goldfish died, all five of them,
    they floated on the water, on their sides, their
    eyes still open,
    and when my father got home he threw them to the cat
    there on the kitchen floor and we watched as my mother
    smiled

Charles Bukowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Whilst some poetry does strike me, generally I dislike poetry intensely, I find it borely, but again, there is the odd exception that interests me.

• Advertisement

I also think poetry has taken a dive in the last 50 years because of the record. Now there’s more poetry in songs than in books.

Perhaps some poets have been pulled into songwriting but I doubt it
    has really affected output. I think it's just more difficult to sort the wheaf from the chaff during the time work is produced. Poets such as Philip Levine, Philip Larkin and Bukowski would suggest to me that not much is wrong though.

Bukowski is one of the first poets I would recommend to those who hate poetry or think it is not for them.
    Who can argue that people like bob Dylan aren’t poets?

I can. But I won't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

The thing that annoys me about poetry is that I never get it and that pisses me of no matter how hard I try. Also why do they find it so important to make learning Poetry manditory in LC english? It has no practicle use and I am going into my 5th year of college, unless of course you want to be a poet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Sugarbear

I like writing poetry and then reading over my own stuff, but I can't stand other's people's unless I can relate to it, which is sad really. I don't mind reading the stuff that's interesting, but the majority of it bores me :rolleyes:

It has no practicle use and I am going into my 5th year of college, unless of course you want to be a poet.

do plays have any practicle use if you're not going to be a playwrite? poetry is practicle, it helps you analyze things, find meaning in things that mightn't be clear at first sight.

it takes time to develop this skill and studying poetry in the LC helps develop this skill. what you're learning now can be applied to all poetry that you read.

Earthhorse wrote:
    I can. But I won't. ;)

please do!

"Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're tryin' to be so quiet?
    We sit here stranded, though we're all doin' our best to deny it
    And Louise holds a handful of rain, temptin' you to defy it
    Lights flicker from the opposite loft
    In this room the heat pipes just cough
    The country music station plays soft
    But there's nothing, really nothing to turn off
    Just Louise and her lover so entwined
    And these visions of Johanna that conquer my mind"

not poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

I enjoy poetry but i've never got fully into it though i do want that larkin poetry book like no ones business and cos we're all going off topic and putting up poetry!

"On Discovering a Butterfly," Vladimir Nabokov:

I found it and I named it, being versed
    in taxonomic Latin; thus became
    godfather to an insect and its first
    describer -- and I want no other fame.

Wide open on its pin (though fast asleep),
    and safe from creeping relatives and rust,
    in the secluded stronghold where we keep
    type specimens it will transcend its dust.

Dark pictures, thrones, the stones that pilgrims kiss,
    poems that take a thousand years to die
    but ape the immortality of this
    red label on a little butterfly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

simu wrote:
    Could you identify the exact features of poetry that cause such revulsion in you? I am curious! Is it the ambiguity? Or do you find that the poetry you read is sloppy/poorly-constructed/mawkish/other?
    It's not easy to put a finger on - but a few others said it simply bores them - and I think that's it.

A books to me is a means to tell a story (or provide information or opinion). Of course some writers are more lyrical than others in their description. Its when the method becomes more important than the story I switch off.

Interestingly ronano's post above mentions Nabokov. Lolita is one of my all-time favorite books - full of beautiful description and prose. But I can't bring myself to even finish that poem above. I know it's going nowhere - it's only 12 lines long. And the story in the poem has been distorted by the necessity to use clever rhyming language. Or maybe there is no story? Just pretty words arranged in a lyrical manner.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I loved most of the books I was made read in school - and I had to memorise the goddamn sonofabitch poetry!
    (Sorry for the language - I'm finishing goddamn Catcher in the Rye ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Poetry is, by and large, total tosh IMO. It's boring as hell.
    The notable exception to this opinion is The Raven by Poe.

So there's a definite trend, on this thread at least, that says most poetry is boring, which is fine by me as I find most of it boring too.

But do you also find most movies to be clichéd, most music to be vacuous, and indeed, most literature to be boring too? I know I do, but it doesn't put me off the remainder of the output which is cool, cool, cool.

Out of curiosity how much poetry have people read beyond what was fed to them in school?

(dice man, maybe we'll do the Dylan thing another time. I don't want to take this off topic and I'm not familiar with enough of his work to really make the case!).

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Patrick Kavanagh, Spike Milligan and Roger McGough are the only ones i like really. I think a lot more lyrics to songs should be included in "poetry", in the Leaving Cert it would certainly get more people interested in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Poetry is written by people too lazy to write a book for people too lazy to read a book. The vast majority is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Poetry is written by people to lazy to write a book for people to lazy to read a book. The vast majority is anyway.

Nice. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Poetry is written by people to lazy to write a book for people to lazy to read a book. The vast majority is anyway.
    I'd agree, only for the fact that Shakespeare wrote more than poetry!

I rarely visit the Creative Writing forum anymore (a forum which I heartily endorsed the creation of, and actively particpated in for months), simply because of the torrents of drivelling poetry abound there.

Every thread, not even every second thread, but every single thread is another vague/rambling/angsty (all or take your pick) sorry excuse for a story.

I might be called cruel, or even arrogant, but there is a massive difference between these and anything from a critically acclaimed poet. Not all, granted, but at least you can have the feeling that there is something hiding in there to be teased out rather than a jumble of words tossed together to fit the form of poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

CuLT wrote:
    I'd agree, only for the fact that Shakespeare wrote more than poetry!
    Shakespeare is good for quotes and for insomnia - anything else he's bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

do plays have any practicle use if you're not going to be a playwrite? poetry is practicle, it helps you analyze things, find meaning in things that mightn't be clear at first sight.

it takes time to develop this skill and studying poetry in the LC helps develop this skill. what you're learning now can be applied to all poetry that you read.

Mathematics helps you analyse things and without the incoherency of hidden meaning.
    Poetry is good to some people as a form of entertainment very little of it is entertaining to me but it is entertainment(for a lack of a more suitable word) none the less. Imho it should be kept as a form of entertainment. It should not I believe be used to gain you points in an education system or forcefully rammed down your throat, either that or you do poorly in your LC. Poetry can be a beautiful thing or so I'm led to believe I don't know I never really got poetry but because someone thought it was practical in the department of education I forever look on poetry with bitterness so much so that I find it hard to finish reading one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

i enjoy the odd few lines

but i find it very difficult to sit and read a book of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Depends on the quality I suppose. For plenty of examples of bad poetry please do visit the Creative Writing (backslappers) forum.

Here's one I prepared earlier:

Burnt toast
    Falling, Spinning
    Try but can't
    Nissan Almera
    Sailing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

replace nissan almera with love fading and youd be on to a winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

shuushh wrote:
    replace nissan almera with love fading and youd be on to a winner

It's symbolisim - don't you know anything about poetry? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'm only reading poetry atm. I've plenty of fiction and non-fiction to read (and some I really should read) but poetry is all I can get into right now.

Advertisement