Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Fizz @ Glenroyal

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Never probably. Perhaps fizzrep was a clever ploy to get us all to go to the night club and end up paying in like suckers... that's one theory anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

I think you could be right Nimrod's Son! The cheeky git!!!! :eek: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fizzrep

Guys and Gals,
    Sorry for not being about recently but had things to do. With regards to the whole admission thing! I'm well pi**ed :mad: with certain people at the moment as things have changed.....they backed out of the free admission thing and have now said that it's only free before 11. They reckon that if they say free all night that no one will arrive up before 12:30 or 1.
    They are still keeping the "Live rent free for a month" promotion, which is a good deal really. Anyhow i'll keep ye informed about the admission thing as I'm still fighting this....

Curious...
    / Strokes beard ponderously

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

fizzrep wrote:
    Guys and Gals,
    Sorry for not being about recently but had things to do. With regards to the whole admission thing! I'm well pi**ed :mad: with certain people at the moment as things have changed.....they backed out of the free admission thing and have now said that it's only free before 11. They reckon that if they say free all night that no one will arrive up before 12:30 or 1.
    They are still keeping the "Live rent free for a month" promotion, which is a good deal really. Anyhow i'll keep ye informed about the admission thing as I'm still fighting this....

oh my what a surprise?? so instead of free admission they are giving a prize of how much about 300E, lets do some sums, price of admission? i don't know but i'll guess at 10E, so the prize corrosponds to 30 people paying in, i'm also going to guess that you'll need to but at least one drink to enter, lets just round off figures again to a 5E, so you need to spent 15E to have a chance of winning a pretty lame prize.

see if you can see where i'm coming from on this statement:

the gelnroyal and all involved are c-u-n-t-s.

is it clear??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

now If you had posted that on Mikado you would be banned in no time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fizzrep

Well, seen as I'm only here trying to keep ye informed and trying to fight for better deals for students, then certain people post comments as per above.....think I'll let ye find out some other way as I won't be taking that from people like gimpgoat. And gimpy, if ur there before 11 it's free in. Anyhow, good luck with the college year to all decent people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

in fairness lordgoat, fizzrep is just trying to make things better. i agree the glenroyal is hardly the best place in the world, but it's not going to get better with people like yourself creating negativity where it isn't needed or wanted. so if you have nothing constructive to say, then don't say anything.

Fizzrep-i definately think money and music are where the major improvements are needed if you want to create a loyal patronage-at the moment, there are very few clubs (and none in maynooth) catering for the indie/rock/alternative crowd, and as far as i can see, this is the crowd that dominates maynooth. get a good DJ who plays music that is popular but kind to the ears of those with a more selective taste in music. Queen, AC/DC, Steriogram etc etc (just some ideas) most people respond well to them and they will draw a crowd.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

fizzrep wrote:
    Well, seen as I'm only here trying to keep ye informed and trying to fight for better deals for students, then certain people post comments as per above.....think I'll let ye find out some other way as I won't be taking that from people like gimpgoat. And gimpy, if ur there before 11 it's free in. Anyhow, good luck with the college year to all decent people out there.

YAWN,

you totally ignored my point, while i did make it very harshly, it still stands.

So far there have been no changes made, there is 1 (one) promotion to win a months free rent - whoop de ****ing do, there will be no changes to prices or structure, maybe they'll get a rock DJ for a few months but after that it'll be back to normal, wanna know why ? there's no competition. Plain and simple. Why change it if you are already making a huge profit? Prices will remain as high as they are, and ohhhh if you get there before 11 it's free in, yes come early and spend, spend, spend.

on a small point you came on here to ask for ideas not to keep us informed. I can't be arsed to go back and find your first post seen as you can't remember it. If it was just to keep us informed i could see a point to your position.

As for the name calling, that simply hurt, and as it to imply i'm not a decent person for having a go at the glenroyal? Your naievity knows no bounds, do you think people will just sit back and believe you when you say "oh i'm the rep for the glenroyal come on down it's a great place". When you've lived in maynotoh for a couple of years you realise it's a place to go for more drink when the mood takes, not somewhere to go for a good night out.

Feel free to write back to any of the comments, i would love to hear what you have to say about them.

Now little one, run along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Lilly81 wrote:
    anyway, the dj is my big issue. i don't know if there's more than one but anytime i went there the guy playing wasn't great and he's very rude (asked him to play a song once and was told to f off)
    any plans for new dj's?

What about getting various DJ's? I used to be the SU (Pull Pitt) resident from 1998 to 2000 with Phil Cunningham. We did a good 2 and a half years of it. Changed because the money was an issue i.e. it was good, but not what clubs pay. I wouldn't mind doing a regular night in the Glenroyal. Its been a couple of years since I was there!

Seanie.

• Advertisement

Seanie M wrote:
    What about getting various DJ's? I used to be the SU (Pull Pitt) resident from 1998 to 2000 with Phil Cunningham. We did a good 2 and a half years of it. Changed because the money was an issue i.e. it was good, but not what clubs pay. I wouldn't mind doing a regular night in the Glenroyal. Its been a couple of years since I was there!

Seanie.

Do you get to choose the music or are you told what to play? If you get to choose, then what kind of stuff do you play?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i live in maynooth, and have been going to fizz for the last 3 years or so, usually at least once a week on any of Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday, so i'll tell you what i think...

there's a few probs with Fizz.
    - same music week after week, no matter what dj it is.
    - overpriced drink + admission price
    - horrible (and i mean absolute manky pints)

1. at least mix it up a bit, there's only so many times you can play Call On Me, and You Can Do It. obviously you've to cater for the large crowd who know nothing except what they hear in the charts, or the usual groups of girls who just wanna go up and dance to whatever crappy dance song is popular this week. Have you ever been to the Limelight in Belfast? or somewhere like Doyles in town? they have a decent playlist for the indie/rock crowd. stuff from Rage Against The Machine, Oasis, Blur, White Stripes, Kasabian, Joy Division, Bloc Party, Led Zeppelin, etc etc. obviously these won't all be to everyone's tastes, i'm just throwing out some names, but that type of stuff.
    throwing in Sweet Child Of Mine and Last Nite in the middle of commercial dance and the R'n'B isn't useful to anyone.
    Have an alternative night, and publicise it around campus. start out on a trial basis, say every fortnight or so on Wednesdays, and keep every 2nd Wednesday, and every Thursday for the usual commercial stuff. (i'm using Wed+Thurs cos they're the 2 big student nights in Fizz)

band's aren't neccesary for this night anyway, most people don't wanna see some band they'v never heard of play songs they'll never hear again, and you'll never fill the place if you went that route. having bands playing maybe once a month or something, and try get someone sort of well known to play every know and again, obviously you'd have to judge their fee against how much you're making, but the bigger the act, as i'm sure you're well aware, the easier it is to sell the place out.

2. if the LA can sell drinks for 3 quid, then i'm sure ye can too, obviously the LA is a ****hole, but if it can get away with selling them for the price, and i know that pretty much every bar in Ireland can and still return a profit seeing as i've worked in a few, then there's no reason why you can't drop your prices a bit.
    this would also eliminate the complaining about admission (which is well over the odds too). at least if you're saving a few quid over the night on the price of drink, there won't be any need to stay in the Roost or Bradys or drinking in a house until 10mins before the admission price comes in and then leg it down there. changing the time to 11pm is a good idea, but it's just gonna mean that the place doesn't start fill up till later too. if you had cheaper drink, then obviously more people are gonna head down to Fizz to drink earlier on, than going to Roost to save a quid on each drink and then go to you.
    We're students, we don't give a crap about prizes, we just wanna save more money to spend on drink.
    for the last 2 years, I, and plenty of others, have lashed plenty of drink into us, gone down at 10pm, got the stamp, gone back out again, gone to the pub, or a house closeby, drank some more, then gone back for the last hour and a half of the night, as I'm sure you're well aware. the reason is cos it costs too much to stay drinking in Fizz for the length of time you're there.
    lower the price of drink, doesn't have to be all, even say do a €3 pints of Fosters or some cheap beer, and do some VK alcopops type stuff for 3 quid a bottle all night, and you'll have a ****load more people in the place for the evening drinking.

3. i dunno what you can do about this one, me and the rest of my friends won't drink any pints other than miller in there. i usually drink carlsberg, and it's absolutely disgusting in the nightclub. it's grand in the bar nextdoor, but there's something dodgy about them taps. a few of my friends drink either Guinness or Heineken usually and they won't touch the stuff with you usually, and even if they do, they're off it after the first pint.

and jsut one small thing that pisses me off, we can hear the music fine, turn it down a tad, it's nice to actually be able to hear the people that are right beside you without having to shout. louder music doesn't make people more likely to dance or drink, it just pisses them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

well. discussion closed. listen to ghostdancer, fizzrep and you'll have your crowd. she knows her stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Do you get to choose the music or are you told what to play? If you get to choose, then what kind of stuff do you play?

Choose it of course, but any good DJ listens to the crowd and what they (pretty much) want to hear. (Management never realy 'lend a hand' to whats being played. You see, most DJ's today, in any venue, will be playing more or less the same tracks each night. But, if alternate DJ's were playing in each venue (as in some venues I gig in), a couple of tricks come out of the sleeves every now and again that makes it more interesting for the clubbers out there. Therefore, you keep getting a crowd back again and again, and NOT because its the only club in the town! ;)

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

fizzrep we're not getting on your case here but people obviously feel very strongly about all this so what do you expect? and suddenly not having the free admission after you stated it was definitely going to happen isn't a big surprise really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

ghostdancer!
    from the oxegen forums :)
    welcome!

Another informative rant. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the one and only :D

What ghostdancer said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

So did any of this ever go ahead? I'm guessing not! :rolleyes:

Legend has it they're doing away with club Fizz to try and build a good reputation for the hotel (competition from other pubs the more likely reason I reckon though). Anyway, anyone know if this is true?? Or have I been led astray today?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

well you see a hotel cannot be a five star hotel if there's a nightclub on to it so maybe you're right, maybe they want to make the hotel better.

Advertisement