Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up the Lidl Satellite System: For Beginners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

after you have found the satellite with the sat finder,slowly start turning down the beeper ,moving dish left/right ,up/down until you get loudest beep again.keep on doing this till you can bearly hear a beep from sat finder.at this stage the dish is aligned perfectly.its the only accurate way to set up a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Too right mayto I spent 4 hours at it wednesday and the best part of 2 and half today.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

Ok folks, worked at it a while today and now have ASTRA2 tuned in (Or so I think). My question is. does anyone know how to group the chanels together? i.e. I have a few channels in the 600 range , then a few blank channels and again just above 700 I have a few more. If I could group all the ASTRA2 channels together It might be easier to see what I have.
    I'm a first timer so any help I can give other first timers I will try.

It's not too bad if ya just settle down and go through it slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Jenny_H wrote:

What does 28 East mean? Is is 28 on the compass or 28 degrees from the East?

Standing behind the dish and facing the back of it turn it slowly to your left and you will get astra 2. The Arm with the LNB on the end should be {nearly} horizontal.

I got pictures on mine with the sat finder in line.

The cable will work from either connection on the lnb.

The higher the tone the stronger the signal.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

WDK wrote:
    2) No you wont get a pic while the sat finder is connected.

Barring the possibilty that the finder is somehow faulty, it will make no difference to the operation of the receiver. Therefore, if the receiver is tuned to a specific channel and the dish is properly aligned, the picture will be displayed regardless of whether the sat finder is connected or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭greg-h

Please be carefulll with the lidl satellite meters as the can give you a bad shock I know it only 18 volts but youll feall it as said above I think you are better to mount a compleatly vertical pole and use a compess It wont take as long to those who have bought a satellite system I wish you good luck with it and hopefully you will have embarked on a truly fasanating hobby.

claw14 wrote:
    My question is. does anyone know how to group the chanels together? i.e. I have a few channels in the 600 range , then a few blank channels and again just above 700 I have a few more. If I could group all the ASTRA2 channels together It might be easier to see what I have.

Page 32 of the manual:
    Go to the submenu 'Channel Assignation' via Menu->Channel admin and there you have the option to Move channels, also to Skip, Delete, Lock channels or add them to the Favourites list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Please be carefulll with the lidl satellite meters as the can give you a bad shock
    WTF ???
    Can you elaborate on this a little more ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 duck1

I got one of the lidl digital satellite systems on Thursday and only put it up today. I put the bracket up vertical on a east facing wall and connected all cables up. I got two coaxial connectors 4 d satellite beeper and wired it up. I dont knoe if its working right. I moved the dish around in several positions and cant seem to any signal on any of the satellites (no compass). The beeper is loudest with the dish facing almost into the wall (s)/(N) or the ground - it doesnt seem right. Im not sure what to do - there are no other sky dishes around within a mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

deadl0ck: I have all the FTA Astra 2 channels.

Duck1: You main problem is that you put the dish on your east-facing wall, which is why you are getting some response when you are pointing it into the wall (i.e. southerly). Put the dish on a south wall, then barely move towards the east.

The dish itself should be barely pointing up, with the LNB arm almost pointing straight out. Even though I have a large wall in front of me, I was able to find a signal by just standing on a chair and pointing south, south-east. The best bet would be to look at Sky Digital dishes nearby.
    Note: You can do this without a compass, and yes you WILL get a reception on your TV even with the sat-finder connected.

A portable TV is handy. Connect it to the receiver and tune in the correct channel range e.g. 617 for Astra 2. I located a gap in all the obstructions (urban area) in the front of me, stood up on a chair, and pointed the dish south and worked from there. The sat-finder will change to a higher tone immediately after finding a signal. When you know that there is a signal around, put the bracket on the wall in order to fine-tune by tiny movements of the dish.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

With Astra 2, should I not be getting be Astra 2A (e.g. CNN International) and Astra 2B (e.g. Sky News). Do they have to be manually configured? I am getting most of the Eurobird and Astra 2D channels.

Humbly seeking guidance ....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

I know how you feel duck1. I am a first time installer and it took a few hours but I got it to work. My advice does not come with a guarantee but it worked for me.
    On the black bracket that came with the dish there are markings, which show the degrees of elevation. There is also a mark on the metal bracket to correspond with these marks. If you set this close to 22 - 25 degree's first and tighten it up. No this is what got me. It seems like the disk is pointing downwards :confused: but go with it for a mo. Now face the dish to where the sun is roughly around noon. Tighten the bracket enough so you can move the dish left to right and it's not falling all over the place. Connect up you sat finder and slowly move the dish from left to right. You should see the signal rise when you find the satellite.
    Just a note on the sat finder, which wasted a lot of time for me. On the sensitivity knob, turn it fully "off". You should have one led light on and a low tone. Now turn it up until the second and third leds come on, then turn it back until just after the second led goes out. I had it fully turned to the lowest setting and couldn't find a thing DOH!!! as soon as I set the sensitivity correct I found a ASTRA in a few mins.

Have fun !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

I went up to Newry yesterday and they had about 12 left - cost €107 though with the exchange rate :mad:

We set it up today and moved it around and accidently came across Astra 2. Slightly tilting the dish gives the other Astra satelitte with Sky News and the likes. Is there a way to tune both these in? we were looking at Sky News and BBC News 24 - both have the same satelitte strength but only one will come in and the other will say Audio/Video not available. Slightly angling the dish will allow the picture through for the opposite channel. Is there any way to get both these together? Was recently down in Waterford where they had a sky dish and receiver with no card and it was set up to receive the free channels and I could swear they were able to see BBC News 24 and Sky News! Help appreciated!

boardy - by "all FTA astra 2 cahnnels", do you mean Astra 2A, 2B and 2D ?

deadl0ck: See my question 4 posts up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 duck1

After much frustration over the last few days, I finally got the dish tuned in this morning to astra 28.2/5E! I took note of the tips in the messages and got a compass, found south east direction (from bracket on -- "correction" NE facing gable)and after that much to my surprise it was not too hard to find the satellite. As claw14 said - the degrees marked on the black bracket give a good guide as to where 28.2 deg is situ. I did not use the supplied buzzing sat-finder and I think it was for the better. I set up the dish using the signal monitor function in the menu - although I am only getting 58 - 62% signal but good picture and sound on most of the preprogrammed channells. Does anyone know whats the story with getting eg. skynews, reality tv, QVC, Community channel etc. which are not already preprogrammed in the box on astra28??? :confused: Also why am I getting a strong signal of about 60 - 75% on 19E but only picture and sound reception on astra28???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Try a network search on a couple of transponders and it should download everything available

duck1 wrote:
    After much frustration over the last few days, I finally got the dish tuned in this morning to astra 28.2/5E! I took note of the tips in the messages and got a compass, found south east direction (from bracket on -- "correction" NE facing gable)and after that much to my surprise it was not too hard to find the satellite. As claw14 said - the degrees marked on the black bracket give a good guide as to where 28.2 deg is situ. I did not use the supplied buzzing sat-finder and I think it was for the better. I set up the dish using the signal monitor function in the menu - although I am only getting 58 - 62% signal but good picture and sound on most of the preprogrammed channells. Does anyone know whats the story with getting eg. skynews, reality tv, QVC, Community channel etc. which are not already preprogrammed in the box on astra28??? :confused: Also why am I getting a strong signal of about 60 - 75% on 19E but only picture and sound reception on astra28???

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

duck1 wrote:
    Also why am I getting a strong signal of about 60 - 75% on 19E but only picture and sound reception on astra28???

Same reason as post #40 on this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291375&page=2&pp=20

Originally Posted by deadl0ck
    OK - looks like there are three Astra 2 sat feeds all on 28.2 degrees: 2A, 2B and 2D

Does this mean I can get all three of these feeds ?

Yes of course as well as eurobird

boardy - That was in Post 20 in this thread - so according to Tony, you should be able to get all the Astra and eurobird

Unless he meant you could get them seperatly - I meant all together, without having to go near the dish (I assume you do to boardy)

Can anybody calrify this and if so is it hard to do, i.e. is there some specific setting on the receiver ??

If somebody HAS successfully set up the dish, can the please let me know what English language channels they receive (and please don't post a link to www.lyngsat.com as it still doesn't clarify exactly what I should expect to get when I get down to my folks and set this thing up for them) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭dadsarmy

I have all the channels on 28e but could someone tell me how to set up to receive the eurobird satalite, it is not listed in the pre-programed satalite list.(Lidl receiver)

• Advertisement

dadsarmy - do you mean you have Astra 2A, 2B and 2D Channels ?

Can someone please answer this ???

If I point at 28.2 E, there are 4 Sats:
    Eurobird 1
    Astra 2A
    Astra 2B
    Astra 2D
    Should I be able to get all FTA channels on these sats, or can I only view channels from 1 sat at any particular time ?

Thought i had already answered this, you can get all FTA channels from these satellites all the time if your dish is pointing at 28.2.

deadl0ck wrote:
    dadsarmy - do you mean you have Astra 2A, 2B and 2D Channels ?

Can someone please answer this ???

If I point at 28.2 E, there are 4 Sats:
    Eurobird 1
    Astra 2A
    Astra 2B
    Astra 2D
    Should I be able to get all FTA channels on these sats, or can I only view channels from 1 sat at any particular time ?

dadsarmy wrote:
    I have all the channels on 28e but could someone tell me how to set up to receive the eurobird satalite, it is not listed in the pre-programed satalite list.(Lidl receiver)

Read the posts above yours!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

dec2000 wrote:
    I went up to Newry yesterday and they had about 12 left - cost €107 though with the exchange rate :mad:

We set it up today and moved it around and accidently came across Astra 2. Slightly tilting the dish gives the other Astra satelitte with Sky News and the likes. Is there a way to tune both these in? we were looking at Sky News and BBC News 24 - both have the same satelitte strength but only one will come in and the other will say Audio/Video not available. Slightly angling the dish will allow the picture through for the opposite channel. Is there any way to get both these together? Was recently down in Waterford where they had a sky dish and receiver with no card and it was set up to receive the free channels and I could swear they were able to see BBC News 24 and Sky News! Help appreciated!

I called into the Balbriggan Lidl and picked one up no probs. They had about six left!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

WDK wrote:

2) No you wont get a pic while the sat finder is connected.

You do get a pic with the sat finder conected.

Thought i had already answered this, you can get all FTA channels from these satellites all the time if your dish is pointing at 28.2.

Tony - Thanks for the answer - I wasn't 100% sure due to the conflicting reports/problems people were having.

Based on the information supplied in the previous post, any idea how I can get
    CNN International on Astra 2A and Sky News on Astra 2B? (e.g. tips to manually program these channels). They are not listed when I scroll through the channel listings on the Lidl receiver?

I am pointed at 28.2 and receiving the Astra 2D and Eurobird channels listed on www.lyngsat.com.

If CNN isn't present, rescan the satellite (page 35 of the manual). If is still isn't present after that, do a manual scan (page 29) using the transponder details (frequency, symbol rate, polarity and FEC) which can be found on lyngsat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Paulobrien

Hi,

Having survived the "fall of Saigon" at 8am in Moore St the other morning, I now have a problem with the system.

I have found both Astras (it seems u will get one stronger the other (so I read here) I get CNN and mostly englsih stuff... others get the Gereman stuff.

However I really only got it for Hotbird, which Ii can not recieve?
    I have defenitly scanned properly... so has any one got any ideas.
    Some one mentioned something about problems and updating something (not the software)

Incidentally... not that it matters, but for anyone interested. I used the Sat finder in the Accesories Software on the box (not the finder)... and whilst I get no signal at all For "Sirus" when I scan it in EPG as Im flicking throgh stations a strong signal comes up in the EPG (but no video or audio) and a friend says he gets audio and video off Sirus, with the same system.

But it's the hotbird problem please,
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Today, I was able to get another 100 or more channels on the Astra Satellite. From Day 1, I tried to update the settings but the manual was not very helpful e.g. tried to scan satellite but that didn't add the missing channels. Today, I used the 'edit' satellite command from the menu and that seemed to have worked. Now there is CNN, Sky News, ITV ....
    The new channels are added at the very end of your channel listings.

By the way Zaphod, the pages on my manual (new lidl system) does not correspond with what you have, but you led me in the right direction. Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement