Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is hiring a house cleaner too much like having servants?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

simu wrote:
    It seemed to me you didn't quite grasp the meaning of some of the words you were using. You've argued you did understand them although I still think you were being a bit obscure, to say the least.
    This is arrogance. And you make far too many assumptions. If I was being obscure, that is irrelevant. The word in question is "subservient", so you are returning to whether I know the meaning of that word or not? I read the dictionary definition that you kindly pasted, I asked in a prior post that you let me know if you are going to return to this topic since theres plenty more that could be said, although it would be a very dull conversation, perhaps you feel the need to go there. I never used the word servant in a negative context, but you assumed that I did and promptly mounted your high horse.

However, the Atheist is dead right, and as it happens, on another day I WOULD take the word servant to be a negative thing, and I even wrote earlier that the word "servant" does have negative connotations more than half the time. But that is a different matter entirely, as my opinion on the subject was never in contest here - it was always your incorrect interpretations of what I wrote, simu, your assumptions, and your insults.
    Anyway, who cares at this stage - as you said, you're not really interested in the topic. All I was saying was that you should check out what those words meant.

Pointless arguments - what else would keep bored people occuppied into the small hours of the day?
    I never cared to begin with; as I said initially, a nerve was never struck with me. You can see that I did not stoop to personal insults on this thread.

I never mentioned pointless arguments - I said this thread, i.e. the original topic was pointless. No offence to original poster, however, as I never said there was anything wrong with pointless arguments. While the word "pointless" might have a negative meaning more than half the time, I had no such intention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

o_O

Report my posts if you're insulted. If you want to continue the discussion, take a stance on the original question. That is all.

Why would I report your posts? I was merely pointing out the fact that what you said was an insult, never said it bothered me. In fact, I usually prefer discussions which are enhanced by personal insults. I realise they are illegal on this board, but if you think I would go running to a moderator over something as tame as this then I am very insulted. In 6 years reading these boards I have only reported one post that I can recall, and that was when somebody attached an image of horse pr0n.

My stance on the original question is fairly clear, since I mentioned in a prior post that the whole thread is pointless since everybody here, including the original poster, knows the answer. "No Jim, a house cleaner is not too much like having servants. As long as you treat him well, take him for walks regularly, and never EVER feed him after midnight."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Illkillya wrote:
    Why would I report your posts? I was merely pointing out the fact that what you said was an insult, never said it bothered me. In fact, I usually prefer discussions which are enhanced by personal insults. I realise they are illegal on this board, but if you think I would go running to a moderator over something as tame as this then I am very insulted. In 6 years reading these boards I have only reported one post that I can recall, and that was when somebody attached an image of horse pr0n.

You'd get insulted at anything!
    My stance on the original question is fairly clear, since I mentioned in a prior post that the whole thread is pointless since everybody here, including the original poster, knows the answer. "No Jim, a house cleaner is not too much like having servants. As long as you treat him well, take him for walks regularly, and never EVER feed him after midnight."

Well, I agree with you then. Wayhay.

Actually... come to think of it, I change my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

To get back on topic -

A friend of mine is a cleaner (illegal immigrant.)

The job for her is NOT degrading. She would never see it like that. It is a chance for her to make some money doing something which she is good at.

If anything, hiring a cleaner is doing the cleaner a favor (i.e. giving her a job.)

It is not degrading.

And if you can afford it, I don't see a problem in hiring a cleaner. Yes, maybe it's a little bit lazy, but that's hardly something to get angry/bothered about.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I find this a curious end(?) to an amusing discussion.

Apparantly the decision as to whether there is a difference between a servant and a cleaner is moot, as the word "servant" doesn't exist anymore in our PC society. :rolleyes:

There's a great bit of news for Civil Servants everywhere.

I was only referring to it's use in that form of work.

I wasn't trying to claim that the word servant is no longer used anywhere. Then again I was sleep deprived so maybe I didn't come across clearly. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement