Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KATRINA (Twelve)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Local TV is reporting that 17th Street canal pump is failing and will cause 10 to 15 feet of flooding on the east bank of Jefferson and Orleans.

If this is true....

Edit : It is true, I'm afraid.
    Efforts to stop the levee break at the 17th Street Canal have ended unsuccessfully and the water is expected to soon overwhelm the pumps in that area, allowing water to pour into the east bank of Metairie and Orleans to an expected height of 12-15 feet.

Also reports now that there are holes all over the river levee's too, which would mean NO will be getting flooded from both the lake and the swollen Mississippi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

This is a disaster...

I was born in New Orleans and all... I've no memories of the place (I was 2 when I left) but I can't help but feel I've lost something...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

****ALL RESIDENTS ON THE EAST BANK OF ORLEANS AND JEFFERSON REMAINING IN THE METRO AREA ARE BEING TOLD TO EVACUATE AS EFFORTS TO SANDBAG THE LEVEE BREAK HAVE ENDED. THE PUMPS IN THAT AREA ARE EXPECTED TO FAIL SOON AND 9 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED IN THE ENTIRE EAST BANK. WITHIN THE NEXT 12-15 HOURS****

http://www.wwltv.com/

the pump at the 17th street cenal has now failed and nine feet of water is expected to fill areas such as the French quarter of the City. areas which previously remained more or less dry after the hurricane.

the Superdome is now surrounded by water and it is rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 claidheamh

Do any of you have family stuck there, or homeless as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

My dad and sis were living in New Orleans before but I think they've moved out of the area a few years ago so no real worries...

Thanks for your concern... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

NEW ORLEANS – The evacuation of the Superdome was suspended Thursday after shots were reported fired at a military helicopter and arson fires broke out outside the arena. No immediate injuries were reported.

The scene at the Superdome became increasingly chaotic, with thousands of people rushing from nearby hotels and other buildings, hoping to climb onto the buses taking evacuees from the arena, officials said. Paramedics became increasingly alarmed by the sight of people with guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Image overlays for Google Earth (fup I love this program)

http://earth.google.com/katrina.html

Tragic / Impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Advertisement