Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do idiots breed more?

Options
  • 19-08-2005 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, it does seem that the more intelligent couple of society would have one or two children, whereas young Anto McSkang gets a new addition to his 17 brothers and sisters a year?

Is there a correlation between intelligence levels and how many sprogletts a family will squeeze out?
    Just a silly little observation, nothing serious here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is there a correlation between intelligence levels and how many sprogletts a family will squeeze out?
    To answer your question with a question, how easy is it to bed a blond?

For a lot of these people, sex is probably the most mentally challenging thing they will ever have to do, aside from keeping upright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Of course there is. Education, which in turn leads onto proper prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Hmmmm, yes.

Rather than have a feckin thread about skangers and non skangers or whatever the hell you want to call them, why dont we have a thread about the social problems that cause these people to be 'skangers'!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

AB03 wrote:
    Rather than have a feckin thread about skangers and non skangers or whatever the hell you want to call them, why dont we have a thread about the social problems that cause these people to be 'skangers'!?!

What will that achieve? Are we in a position of authority to do anything about these social problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

"Trailer parks all over America filling up with little miracles. Thunk, thunk, thunk. Look at all my little miracles. Filling up my trailer like a sardine can. Look at them.

"You know what would be a little miracle? If I could remember your daddy's name. I guess I'll have to call you Trucker Jr. That's all I remember about your daddy was his fuzzy little pot belly riding on top of me shooting his caffeine ridden semen into my belly to produce my little water head miracle baby child. Thunk. There's your brother, Pizza Delivery Boy Jr., thunk here's your other brother, thunk here's your other brother, Will Work For Food Jr."

AB03 wrote:
    Because this is more fun?

Nah, seriously though. Even if you did try, don't put it on AH, because it WILL descend into one of those (these?) threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Didn't Harvey Danger have a lyric about 'only stupid people are breeding'.

I don't think it's intelligence tho. I think it's a class/community thing. In certain families daughters aren't exactly discouraged from getting preggers. In others children are warned from an early age 'don't you come home pregrant!' or 'don't have some young one knocking at my door'. Obviously in many cases the people recieving this treatment and advise will act appropriately.

I mean seriously (and I'm talking to the guys here) if you could go through life 100% sure you'd never pick up an STD and 100% immune from any responsibility that a so-called 'bundle of joy' would bring then how many kids do you reckon you'd have yourself right now?

Im not going to try for that exact reason.
    Reason : Beautiful quote, ya beat me to it!

*PHUNK!*

Well Karl, what the hell is the point in denegrating the social underclass further by giving them abuse? Its not going to change anything either, but I suppose you find it fun to do so am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Stevee

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    "Trailer parks all over America filling up with little miracles. Thunk, thunk, thunk. Look at all my little miracles. Filling up my trailer like a sardine can. Look at them.

"You know what would be a little miracle? If I could remember your daddy's name. I guess I'll have to call you Trucker Jr. That's all I remember about your daddy was his fuzzy little pot belly riding on top of me shooting his caffeine ridden semen into my belly to produce my little water head miracle baby child. Thunk. There's your brother, Pizza Delivery Boy Jr., thunk here's your other brother, thunk here's your other brother, Will Work For Food Jr."

Hicks was a legend. As far as Skangers go. I alwaysthought that they were a genetic dead end like shy people. Need to think about this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Because the more intelligent and conscientious are refraining from procreation, while the less intelligent and conscientious are highly prolific, there is a decline to the genetic component of intelligence, close to 2 IQ points per generation in America. This began when birth control became widely available, accelerated around the 1950s, and will continue until the trend is reversed or until our intelligence falls below the level capable of sustaining civilization, which will be roughly 200 years when the average IQ in America falls below 85. This downward trend is called "dysgenics."

http://www.childrenofmillennium.org/eugenics/pages/ten_minutes.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

200 years!? But I want to riding around the wastelands on a motorcycle with a katana and shotgun strapped to my back NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Isn't this the seconary benefit of warfare tho? To thin out the ranks of those who would proceed to pollute the genepool further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I thought it might have to do with money and providing for your kids...
    I know personally I'd like to have 2, that way I will be able to give them all the classes and lessons (violin, ballet, piano, singing, drama) that they want to do, I won't have to think too hard about letting them go on school trips and I know that they will be comfortable.
    The more kids a disadvantaged family has, the more money, and the better chance of getting a bigger house they have.. well, I think anyway? maybe they're all a little smarter than what we think?

Sarky wrote:
    200 years!? But I want to riding around the wastelands on a motorcycle with a katana and shotgun strapped to my back NOW!

Motorbikes are dangerous dude!!! Anny way were are you going to fit your urangotang, you will need a pickup truck.. with missile launchers on the back,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

AB03 wrote:
    Well Karl, what the hell is the point in denegrating the social underclass further by giving them abuse? Its not going to change anything either, but I suppose you find it fun to do so am I right?

Giving them abuse? Yeah, I'm sure the whole "Social Underclass" is reading boards right now. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, don't read too much into a silly little thread on After Hours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Sarky wrote:

move to Oz
    I'm sure there's enough empty outback for you to do that :D

In Ireland, the rate of teenage pregnancy is growing.

The overall population growth in the EU is declining, whereas the life expectancy is growing. At some stage, there will be fewer people in Europe entering the workforce than there is retiring from it, which means that there will be fewer people paying taxes, and thus a smaller amount being paid out in retirement by the governments.

What this means, is that while the rest of Europe wil lbe floundering trying to survive, Ireland will be spared. Why? Because we've got slags.

Beruthiel wrote:
    move to Oz
    I'm sure there's enough empty outback for you to do that :D

No zombies though. :(

Kangaroos > Zombies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually this is something I've though of before. It's essentially natural selection kicking itself in the foot - that is, for thousands of years, it was the most intelligent and strongest who survived, but slowly, intelligence and success has caused those who have it to breed less, allowing the weaker and less intelligent to procreate more.

That said, it could also be seen as the natural order doing what it does best, and levelling the playing field. Once a species becomes much more successful than the rest, the natural order is unbalanced. So if the human race is to decline and be reduced, it's purely because natural order has taken control.

What's strange though is that it's generally accepted that the average IQ in the UK and here increases by a few points every ten years. So is the decline in the US due to social or educational differences, or because the prosperousness of Europe is a few years behind that in the US due to WWII?

A similar arguement is the improvement in medicines and therapies - thus keeping people with genetic disorders etc alive longer - able to procreate. No longer survival of the fittest.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm going to move this to Humanities. Stop with the spammy crap, and/or abusive posts. It's a real and interesting topic.

edit. as it has been moved to Humanities,,, was spammy reply, sorry, sarky's fault :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

seamus wrote:
    What's strange though is that it's generally accepted that the average IQ in the UK and here increases by a few points every ten years. So is the decline in the US due to social or educational differences, or because the prosperousness of Europe is a few years behind that in the US due to WWII?

It's probably just that people are getting better at doing IQ tests - those things don't really measure anything significant.

.Despite glib dismissals of the importance of IQ tests, they are a actually an excellent measure of what ordinary people think of as intelligence. More importantly, your intelligence, as measured by IQ tests, isn't just something you learn or develop by getting a good education, but is instead very much a product of your genetics – IQ is about 70% heritable. This means that most of the variance in IQ scores found in the general population is attributable to genetic differences between individuals within that population.

The IQ can be broken down into a number of smaller factors (usually "verbal" vs. "visuo-spatial" or "mathematical") but these factors all correlate to a strong degree. That is, someone who excels at music is also likely to be good at seemingly unrelated mental disciplines such as linguistics or cryptography. This intercorrelation of mental abilities is called "g," or the general factor of intelligence. The general factor is present in virtually every aspect of what we think of as intelligence, including memorization, reasoning, and reflexes. It is this general factor, g, which IQ tests attempt to measure; the most accurate test of g is Ravens Progressive Matrices, which corresponds to the g factor at around 80%.

IQ correlates positively with income, height, myopia, and brain size. IQ correlates negatively with fertility, criminality, welfare dependency, and child abuse. (These correlations are powerful – your IQ better predicts your adult Socio-Economic Status than the SES under which you are born. It correlates at over 40% with brain size, and even around 20% with height.)

Intelligence is not the only heritable psychometric trait; most psychologists have agreed to a 5-factor model of personality which measures Openness to experience, Extroversion, Neuroticism, Agreeableness, and Conscientiousness.

Conscientiousness refers to responsibility, the ability to control impulses, and attention to detail; it is about 40-50% heritable. Like IQ, Conscientiousness correlates positively with income, and negatively with fertility, criminality, and welfare dependency.
    http://www.childrenofmillennium.org/eugenics/pages/ten_minutes.htm

edit. as it has been moved to Humanities,,, was spammy reply, sorry, sarky's fault :D

Hey, it was fair game in AH!

Anyway, I kind of had a point. Meditrator's quotes suggest that if populations keep growing the way they do, our civilisations in general will suffer, as people just won't be smart enough to keep it going. Assuming that's true (and I'd point to the possible resurgance of religious "faith>facts" thinking in the US and some of the frankly downright stupid moves made in the name of political correctness as evidence that it could be true), won't humanity be taking a big step backwards, like another dark ages?

Sarky wrote:
    won't humanity be taking a big step backwards, like another dark ages?
    Perhaps, but in that time will the "survival of the fittest" not reemerge out of necessity? As we have it today, people don't need to be smart if machines or other people can be smart on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Mangler

Honestly, it does seem that the more intelligent couple of society would have one or two children, whereas young Anto McSkang gets a new addition to his 17 brothers and sisters a year?

Just a silly little observation, nothing serious here.

Intelligent people are stressed, stress leads to tiredness and not getting the leg over as often, Anto McThicko doesnt give a toss about anything so he has no worries, as long as he has his smoke and a few beers in the fridge the world is at one, its a fact of life that people who anylize everything rather than just getting on with it are stressed out to the max. them's the breaks ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

In Ireland, the rate of teenage pregnancy is growing.

The overall population growth in the EU is declining, whereas the life expectancy is growing. At some stage, there will be fewer people in Europe entering the workforce than there is retiring from it, which means that there will be fewer people paying taxes, and thus a smaller amount being paid out in retirement by the governments.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. If we take population growth as inversely proportional to intelligence, then:

a) Intelligence increases, population growth decreases. We won't have enough people to sustain our economy.

or b) Population growth increases, intelligence decreases, in which case we don't have enough minds to sustain our economy.

Personally I think the only possible solution is forced breeding of people with high IQs, and farbeit from me to refuse my civic duty ;).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement