Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Special Topic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

I did my special topic on a guy called Albert Speer, the little known Armaments minister for the Third Reich. And Hitler's 'idol'. And the man who single-handedly prolonged world war 2 for over 2 years. And Hitler's chief Architect. And lots more... A bit like Leni Riefenstahl only more fascinating, inticate and mind boggling. A great topic if ever there was one...

Oh, and I got the A1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I am doing a double agent in WW2, Garbo. He was one of the huge reasons as to why D-Day suceeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

I did my special study topic on the Galway - Clifden Railway (1895 - 1935), as transport history interests me, and it was local. I recently went to view my scripts and I got 80 out of 80 for it, which was cool. Overall, I got a B2.

To whoever asked about the Magdalen Laundries: bear in mind that the course is 1870-1970 (at least it was in the old course), so if you can keep it before 1970, stroic leat. It's very controversial, so you should have no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sfix

what about the Einsatzgruppen? they were a group within the SS that were resposible for some of the worst Jewish killings :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I've found someone to do it on - Grigori Rasputin. He was killed just before the Tsars were overthrown so it just covers the dates of study on the course. I'm so happy I've found something to do it on!

Quick question - What length are the finished topics usually?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Mine was about 7 A4 pages

d4gurl wrote:
    I'm thinking world war one! Some significant event....there is nothing about world war one in our history books... so I don't know! I found a really usefull section of my history book (modern europe and democracy.....by dermot Lucey) that explains all aobut the new research topic and what to do! I'm so tempted to steal their special topic its just staring at me telling me to copy it!

That's way too broad, matey, sorry. Do something within the context of WW1, like weaponry, or advances in weaponry or something like that. Just WW1 -- way too broad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Funkstard wrote:
    I've found someone to do it on - Grigori Rasputin. He was killed just before the Tsars were overthrown so it just covers the dates of study on the course. I'm so happy I've found something to do it on!

Quick question - What length are the finished topics usually?

I'm doing Rasputin too :) (well, his death anyway). Pretty interesting guy. For higher level it's supposed to be 1500 words.

Thats what is amazing about him - the bollocks just refused to die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

DaveMcG wrote:
    That's way too broad, matey, sorry. Do something within the context of WW1, like weaponry, or advances in weaponry or something like that. Just WW1 -- way too broad.

yeh i know - Ive changed my mind im thinkin Lord haw haw - William Joyce - its really interesting stuff i was watchin a programme aobut it earlier! I'm going to do like The life of William Joyce during World war two! But i hope too many people havnt written about him! Funkstard we can do it on any period of history :D

• Advertisement

Really? Féck sake, my teacher told us it had to be on something that happened within the years of study, and that it must be significant. Thats why I wondered about someone doing the Titanic

It does! It has to be from about 1870 to 1970, and it has to be Irish or European history(ie. not American or Asian or Australian)! I don't know how significant Titanic was on a political scale, though... Maybe ask your teachers or somethin. My friend did his on the sinking of the Lusitania -- that might be more the kind of thing you should do. I dunno, ask a few teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

so you can do it on any part of the course? would someting like the fall of communism or how the soviet satellites gained independance be suitable??

Yeah that's more like it :) Although "the fall of communism" is still a bit vague... should be alright I guess. Maybe "X's role in the fall of communism" would be safer. I think there are people in the Dept. of Education that you can ring about this, actually. I did grinds in Ashfield and the teacher rang up someone to make sure something about my topic was ok. Might have just been a teacher friend, though.

the course has changed dave!!are u doin ur leavin dis year???

I am so confused with history its unbelievable. I can't wait until I get the past papers so I can whittle down what I'll need to study.

Wait...........there are no past papers! ****! AAARRRRRGGHHH!!!!

I loved history for the JC! But I regret picking it for the LC!! If I can pick up accounting easily for these first two weeks of school then it is bye bye History!!wooo!! I refuse to do eight subjects! I'll be doing eight for the first two weeks of school starting tomorrow but after that I'm going to drop either history of accounting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭curtains

I know the history teachers here in donegal have an in-service day about this in october where they meet with one of the chief examiners. I presume everyone's teachers will have these and if you have any questions make sure they raise them on the day.

d4gurl wrote:
    the course has changed dave!!are u doin ur leavin dis year???

Ahh fook, lol.

Disregard everything I've ever said with regards history :(

What's on the course now? You guys aren't doing the Reformation, Martin Luther, and all that ghey stuff, are ye? Cos that sucks BIGTIME, if ye are! :D

Nope, you choose what periods of history you want to study with your teacher to an extent. We're doing i)the movement for home rule 1870 - 1916, the Free State & partition 1922 - 1945, and Europe and the Modern World which covers European & later on American studies which goes from 1911 or so to 1992. I think we picked the American topic in Modern Europe.... too.

Does anyone realise we have a good bit of the test already known? The special topic, and the document has to be about the GAA or the Lockout

• Advertisement

Plus instead of five essays like the old course we only have to do three :D and another is document! The special topic can be on any period - I think! Also we give in our special topic earlier! Oh funkstard what do u mean by

Qoute " The special topic, and the document has to be about the GAA or the Lockout "

Please explain :D

I spelt quote wrong and have no patience to go into edit! You see I'm not just a pretty face :rolleyes: I know how to type properly too!

Haha, qoute

My teacher has been telling us that, according to the inservice days, the document will be on the lockout or the founding of the GAA. I'm pretty sure he said that anyway....

So that's 2/5, 40% pretty much in the bag if you want it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

im gonna be doing the red orchestra, starting on friday...

my teacher nearly came when i said i was thinking about doing that.

give it a look-see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I REALLY doubt the SEC have released such detailed information about what what one of the Qs for the Leaving Cert. is. Could you have misunderstood your teacher? Could your teacher have misunderstood what was said at the in-service?

What about students sitting History outside a school and studying themselves without a teacher - have they been 'told' the document is so limited?

I'm sorry, I can't see any circumstances under which the SEC would explicitly release an intended question.

doonothing wrote:
    im gonna be doing the red orchestra, starting on friday...

my teacher nearly came when i said i was thinking about doing that.

I think if I were your teacher I probably would too. :)

What an interesting choice. Any chance you read German and can read documents in the original language?

Well, its highly likely, probable even that my teacher is telling us wrong information. Its the moustache you see, can't trust people with moustaches

But the thing is its the first year of the new course....

Yes, the first year of a new course is usually a good one to be involved in - I would expect the actual paper to be quite close in style to any sample questions they bring out.

Perhaps they gave examples at the inservice of possible document questions using the two topics you mentioned. The LockOut is an obvious source of a large number of newspaper reports, especially biased ones, given Murphy's involvement - I can think of great questions that could be asked using documents on that topic. Almost makes me want to get back into teaching LC History...

The thing with the document question is, it's based on skills at using documents - if you have the skills, and even a small amount of information, you can do any question you are presented with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

According to my teacher, the document question will be on the 1886+1886 Elections & First Home Rule Bill (case study 1) or the stike and lockout. But then again I could have misheard :rolleyes:

There's another inservice day next Tuesday, hopefully they'll make everything clearer then.

• Advertisement

Yeh We had the new Maths syllabus for the first year in the JC and the exam was a carbon copy of the sample paper. I hope to god it'll be the same for History & Geography this year.

When are the sample papers out?

I was looking at the Kreisau Circle as a topic but I think I'd have trouble finding info

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement