Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar and res

Options
  • 16-08-2005 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

DCU RES

Its a joke! for the huge prices they pay in res, you would expect to get your moneys worth.
    Its over €110 a week for being virtually locked in at night. Coming back to your apartment usually requires an encounter with one of the “friendly” faces of DCU security wanting about 50 forms of ID and an interrogation to get to your own flat! And the fact that visitors are not allowed to stay over, punishable by about €120. and the room inspections are ridiculous also.
    They can do all this because the occupiers have virtually no rights. Its not a lease they sign, which would give them rights by law, but DCU draft up their own tenancy licence, and if anybody here read it, you’ll know that it’s a disgrace. Once you sign they basically have you by the b**ls!
    I mean I just signed a lease for 1 year, in a big 4 room house, that’s just after being done up, not even 1 min walk from the helix, for 65 euro a week with my own room. I wont have room inspections or security demanding ID to get home, not to mention the “privilege” of being allowed visitors overnight.

DCU BAR

Most expensive student bar in Ireland, in that case probably in Europe!
    The pints taste like muck. I have never had a good pint there in 3 years and would be extremely surprised if the beer lines were EVER changed.
    They spent a huge amount of money “doing up” the bar last summer with the promise of many new things. The only difference’s I can see is they got rid of 1 little divide, painted the walls yellow and put a hot deli counter at the front. Where’s the money gone to???
    And making food available in the bar is a joke.
    You can get food in the business school, nursing school, library, main restaurant, the new bar, the invent centre and spar!!! Like I mean, the bar is for drinking not for eating. I dont go to any of the restaurants looking for a pint!

They are to 2 things I hate most about this college.
    Anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

So why are you going to DCU?

Honestly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

And making food available in the bar is a joke.
    I disagree with that myself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I agree with your points about Res, though you did excaggerate. A lot of people have stood up and noticed its a rip off, and res hasnt sold out this year. Hopefully this will lead to a change in lease etc.

With regard to the bar the SU fcuked it up a few years back if I remember the story rightly which resulted in the Bar being run by a private company, much like the Gym being run by an outside company.

A lot of what is run in DCU isnt excatly what you'd call geared towards the students, however we have a lot more amenities than most and generally speaking its not as bad as you are making out.

Tbh, they'll cop on eventually once they make enough losses, and change it. Just be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The bar has the worst pint of Guinness in Ireland. Which is pretty bad, for a student bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PunkAnderson

Crucifix, is there not enough places in dcu to get some food already.
    I got a pint of beer in the bar last semester with pieces of what looked like fungus floating around in it. went up and complained and the manager wasn't having any of it.
    When I came to DCU a few years ago, res was great craic, but now they have a huge gate around the whole complex, after a night out (or after 11 o'clock) the only way you can get in is past the security guards.
    all other colleges are allowed overnight visitors, even postgrad res in dcu can have visitiors, so why not the rest of res. it used to be nearly inpossible to get into res, and now they can't fill it, and to be honest, i'm glad for them. they brought it on themselves.
    I chose DCU, mainly because of the course, near(ish) to home, had family there, and because of the social life. there used to be mad parties happening all over res then. you might find the odd 1 now but thats about it. that was 3 years ago and its changed quite a bit since then.
    basically its a lot different to how it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Guests are not allowed after 12 midnight but what time are they allowed back in at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Pfft...nothing new tbh. Everyone knows Res is crappy, hell even the Welfare Officer sent around a mail "informing" students of the conditions over there...I'm sure that went down well. Truth be told however, not one damn thing is going to change. The only possible way would be to inform prospective first years so that they may boycott the place and have Campus Res stuck for people. Then again rumour has it they havnt even half filled Hampsted and College Park so you never know...

As for the Bar, well as a Miller or Bulmers drinker I don't think the quality of the pints are that bad, the price however is terrible. Decor wise the issue was that the SU were not willing to spend SU funds on doing the place, they did buy the new furniture for the New Bar afaik which turned it into a mildly usable bar, it still lacks any atmosphere though. The Old Bar is looks pretty bad but I'm used to it by now and at least for events in there theres always a good atmosphere.
    Getting money back for pints or even getting a new one has never worked for any of my mates and that goes for any problem they've had. My only issue was the use of plastic cups on some evenings..hate the bloody things especially since they don't seem to hold as much as a regular pint and we still get charged full price for them.
    Food in the bar? Well while I don't use it often, it is pretty handy for when theres matches on and you can just go over and get some chips to go with your pint.

While I'm at it though I have to point out this years debacle with the projector. Feckin bulbs in went in mid-November if my memory serves me correctly and werent replaced for AGES, despite constant promises from the staff. Not THAT pissed me off, especially for having to watch the big Champions League matches on the tiny TV in the corner... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Crucifix, is there not enough places in dcu to get some food already.
    Aye, there is. But I use the place in the bar more than any of the others.
    That said, it was like that when I got here, so I dunno if it's appearance damaged the appeal of the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

ah he's right the bar is sh1te, but it could be worse. look at the pav in trinners. 3.20 for a can of heinieken for and you have to sit in that dump and drink it!

the bar in maynooth is deffo the nicest studend bar i've been too, was in it at our rag trip last feb. savage bar, really great atmosphere

And did you hear that its run by the same company that runs our bar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PunkAnderson

yea, they have it sorted over there. was there recently and all I have to say about it is: nice pints, nice price, nice decor, and a nice atmosphere. are you serious that it's run by the same crowd?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

And did you hear that its run by the same company that runs our bar?
    Really?! I think thats a bit shocking! It couldnt be the same manager like. I've heard good things bout Maynooth too, and also that the Venue they have has just been refurnished etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Ye must admit they improved the old + new bars last year alright!!! However the new bar lacks any athmosphere, maybe because its too modern + open! I like the old bar as its cosy, plenty of seats (could do with more) + more importantly there's the pool tables! The Venue??? mmmm never really venture down there too often (too far away from a bar :mad: ) but if the place is jammered then the pace is rocken; otherwise its ****e!!

Hopefully they done a bit more to the place this year, could do with an awl makeover, a spot of paint is needed, a few more seats + dont get me started on the toilets in the place!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

What DCU res have gotten away with and are continuing to get away with is an utter ****ing disgrace.
    Paying such high prices to be treated as an inmate? What a joke.

Security this past year are nothing more than glorified Nazi Stormtroopers. They're on a serious power-trip, some worse than others.
    Also, I've come to the conclusion that the person in charge of Campus Residences Ltd. has no soul.

Yep, when we were on the Rag Trip one of the lads in charge told us to behave cos "the guy who runs/owns this place is the same as the bar in DCU so f*ck up here and he'll know about it back home" or words to that effect. I couldnt believe it when I walked in and saw the place though...niiiiiice! :)

The Old Bar, although a bit dodgy, does indeed have a really nice atmosphere. Its like one of those old irish pubs that you like for no apparent reason! :D

Aye security this year were a major pain in the arse, whatever happened to the nicer lads from last year I don't know. The only guy that I recognise as being sound from last year was the young Kevin guy but he was usually over at the first year res so us College Park-ers were stuck with that ignorant gorilla with the Man Utd. cap... :mad:

They seem to have gotten rid of any of the decent security guards and employed escapees from the nearest vivisection clinic.

Man Utd. Cap was a perfect example. As some may know, he and I got on famously.

Ah yes the infamous "I heard loud noises and music coming from your room despite the fact that your wearing headphones for the last few hours"... :p

The hassling at the door coming home EVERY week was what got to me eventually, they were just SO bloody ignorant. At least in first year they had the decency to feck off to their office and let us bring home whoever we wanted! :D

Ah yes the infamous "I heard loud noises and music coming from your room despite the fact that your wearing headphones for the last few hours"...
    Well I guess the big ears had to be useful for something other than making him resemble the F.A Cup...

You'd think they'd have compassion for semi-locked students coming back after a night out. But did they? Did they ****.
    There's providing security and there's being an utter spanner. DCU security seems to have perfected the latter.

neGev wrote:
    Well I guess the big ears had to be useful for something other than making him resemble the F.A Cup...
    Hah! :p

Yea but its strange how they suddenly turned into complete assholes, me thinks they were told to "get tough" or something by that yoke in charge...

neGev wrote:
    What DCU res have gotten away with and are continuing to get away with is an utter ****ing disgrace.
    Paying such high prices to be treated as an inmate? What a joke.

Security this past year are nothing more than glorified Nazi Stormtroopers. They're on a serious power-trip, some worse than others.
    Also, I've come to the conclusion that the person in charge of Campus Residences Ltd. has no soul.

paul may is a director of campus residences limited did you know that?

maybe he'll change it around this year.

you sound like your gettin a rough time up there in jurrassic park, but thats the price you pay for living on res. its a college, not a nightclub.

imagine if they let free reign on parties and the like, there would be mahem. and DCU would be landed with the responsibility if anything happens. they should loosen the reigns a bit, but not too much.

even the college having the rag trip is sketchy enough - imagine justifying to the board why your letting 200 students go off on a piss up organised by DCU??

• Advertisement

That wagon who claimed that Campus Res Ltd. put up the fences for "protecion from the unsavoury characters who drink lager in the park" beside us...?

"Hello! XXXXX speaking"
    "Hi...um...this is the 19th century here, I was wondering when we could have our viewpoint back?"
    "No, I'm afraid that won't be happening, I'm using it quite frequently here"
    "Uh...ok then..bye"
    "There's a fine for calling me outside of office hours. €20. Pay within a week or it'll be taken out of your deposit."
    "Uhh..."

I don't like XXXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

So college park is pretty much a prison yes????

im stuck there this year coming, never stayed on res before cos i never wanted to (house way better), but kinda stuck there next year for various reasons!!!

so theres no chance of getting guests in??? unless someone wishes to jump the fence i presume yes?? Also are they bringing in newer ID cards etc to make sure the person actually stays on RES???? :mad:

me not happy already.,...

Hrm, is May only a director recently or what? He never mentioned that when he was SU Pres... :confused:

Theres a happy medium VinnyL, I spent quite alot of time over in Shanowen last year and they seem to have gotten it right. Basically you can do whatever you want (to an extent obviously) after 12 as long as you dont make excessive noise. Guest arent prohibited either plus the (lone) security guard is pretty sound. As the woman in charge over there said when I was inquiring at the start of the year "You're not children so why would we treat you like one?".

'Nuff said really, hence I'll be over there next year! :)

Campus Properties Ltd are indeed completely deluded. The excuses that shes given for the current rules and restrictions are ridiclous. We've gotten everything from "Fire Hazard" to "Insurance Reasons" and the classic "Keeping out the knackers from the Park". Fair enough the gates may keep them out but its the over-zealous security guards and excessive rules that we have the problem with not the bloody gates!

VinnyL wrote:
    paul may is a director of campus residences limited did you know that?

maybe he'll change it around this year.

you sound like your gettin a rough time up there in jurrassic park, but thats the price you pay for living on res. its a college, not a nightclub.

imagine if they let free reign on parties and the like, there would be mahem. and DCU would be landed with the responsibility if anything happens. they should loosen the reigns a bit, but not too much.

even the college having the rag trip is sketchy enough - imagine justifying to the board why your letting 200 students go off on a piss up organised by DCU??

Paul May, from what I heard, may be on the board of directors, but either is not allowed attend meetings or is not allowed change anything, otherwise he will lose his seat on the board.
    As for it not being a nightclub, have you ever had to prove your identity with more than one form of ID to get into your own house/apartment? That's common practise in DCU res.
    As for the RAG trip, it's to raise money and to have a good time doing it. Nothing too crazy about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

We are all adults(well some you might have to question) why should we not be treated like one?
    I thought that in shanowen your allowed to bring people back, thats pretty much why im going there next year.

neGev wrote:
    Nothing too crazy about that.

you wernt on it this year then!!

thats sh1te about the id thing, that sound more like being in the joy than havin the craic in college. do you have to break up big rocks in the yeard too??!?!

seems like they've lost the run of themselves up there, hopefully they wont fill them this year and that'll lead to changes.

and paul may as a director has a lot of powers for that company.... its a very good postition to have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

What the hell are the student union doing about this? They seem to be lacking any kind of backbone regarding this issue...

Are you serious? The SU have done so much. Afair Paul May had a place on the board but it was revoked cuz of the fuss he kicked up with current policy etc. He mentioned it at his end of year thingy. They wrote to media as well. Its not that easy to see the results, which is fair enough, but they've gained ground imo. For example, Hampstead and College Park havent sold out, because of all the bad press. A lot of people I know, and know of have been forced to accept College park even tho they applied for Hampstead. They're kinda desperate for people atm. This will have to lead to a change of policy. They have a morgage to pay, and if they dont get enough students they'll have to do something to get them back!

As for Fire hazard, what is more dangerous about 2 people being in a room before twelve as opposed to after 12?

One of my good mates goes to Queens university and they have one main gate/entrance and tahts it. You can bring as many people home as you want,whenever you want. Have parties, once their not too loud. And their student res is about three times bigger than ours, which technicaly could be considered more risk [as far as DCU is concerned] but they're treated like adults.

Jesjes wrote:
    As for Fire hazard, what is...

What she said.
    It's not too much to ask for. The way it is at present definately impacts negatively on the university and is just another nail in the coffin of DCU's atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Jesjes wrote:
    Are you serious? The SU have done so much. Afair Paul May had a place on the board but it was revoked cuz of the fuss he kicked up with current policy etc. He mentioned it at his end of year thingy. They wrote to media as well. Its not that easy to see the results, which is fair enough, but they've gained ground imo. For example, Hampstead and College Park havent sold out, because of all the bad press. A lot of people I know, and know of have been forced to accept College park even tho they applied for Hampstead. They're kinda desperate for people atm. This will have to lead to a change of policy. They have a morgage to pay, and if they dont get enough students they'll have to do something to get them back!

As for Fire hazard, what is more dangerous about 2 people being in a room before twelve as opposed to after 12?

One of my good mates goes to Queens university and they have one main gate/entrance and tahts it. You can bring as many people home as you want,whenever you want. Have parties, once their not too loud. And their student res is about three times bigger than ours, which technicaly could be considered more risk [as far as DCU is concerned] but they're treated like adults.

I thought Paul May wasn't in charge anymore? I was referring to Sarah Farrell - isn't that the current head of the SU? Anyway, their press campaign failed - they didn't even draw any attention to the issue in their local area. They've failed to gain any significant budget/influence in DCU. The student union are, from what I can see, a joke in DCU - idealistic, yes, but successful? No.

The SU might have "done so much" - but it hasn't had any real impact, there has been no change in regulations, just a few unbooked places in an ever-expanding DCU.

Advertisement