Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bar and res

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

wooly69 wrote:
    so theres no chance of getting guests in??? unless someone wishes to jump the fence i presume yes?? Also are they bringing in newer ID cards etc to make sure the person actually stays on RES???? :mad:
    Not really, unless you had a second swipe card that worked. That wont work anymore though since theyre meant to be coding our Student cards to work at the door which means picture of the owner on it.
    We are all adults(well some you might have to question) why should we not be treated like one?
    I thought that in shanowen your allowed to bring people back, thats pretty much why im going there next year.
    Indeed, we are allowed bring people back. The only rule they have over there is no excessive noise after 12 which to be honest is fair enough. As I said before Diane, the woman in charge in Shanowen, is the one who always says it..."You're not kids so we won't treat you like one".

As for the Fire threat, THAT excuse went out the window when it emerged that during the summer even more people are allowed stay in the rooms than usual and they were allowed guests. Campus Res replied saying that they assigned a "fire warden" type person to each apartment meaning one person there had the responsibilty of getting everyone else out in the event of a fire. I would have thought those intensely annoying and loud fire alarms would have done the job...

Indeed, Sarah has taken over as SU Pres as of a couple of weeks ago. She'll be continuing Pauls work but tbh I don't really see it going anywhere. Remember this is a private company who only have to answer to the college IF they f*ck up and not letting us have guests after 12 seemingly doesnt constitute a f*ck up. Then again the ONLY way they are gona fill that place up is if they open it to non-students at which point we'll have a case to raise holy bloody hell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Oh for god's sake! People!!!!!

Get a grip!!! :rolleyes: :D

Just because they SAY you can't have overnight guests, doesn't mean you have to obey the rules. Rules are meant to be broken.

:D:D:D

My boyfriend stayed over sooo many nights on res, there was no problem getting him in. And having stayed on res for FOUR years, I think I would know how often security hang around asking people for ID. The only time I have ever been asked for ID was for the freshers ball and the rag ball. Any other night, and they don't even come outta that cubby hole they stay in. And on those two nights, my boyfriend just wouldn't come over coz I know he wouldn't get in.

I liked res, it was comfortable, really lovely, and it was secure - I didn't have to worry about someone nicking my stuff, I'd a big room to myself and my own bathroom, and a massive kitchen (I was in the deluxe College Park this year).

As for the room inspections - I think they are a great idea. I lived with pigs this year (don't get me even started on them trollops!), and I would anticipate the inspection because I knew that the kitchen would actually be clean that day, and that it wasn't only me that cleaned the place up. And besides, jees the inspection is not that big of a deal anyway. All you gotta do is clean up your room, and eh ... don't you have to do that on a regular basis anyway?!

Some people make such a big deal outta it. Res is not that bad, you get around the no guests rule, and even parties after 12 still happen.

That or you could always just bring back whoever you want at 11:30 p.m. and security will be none the wiser :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

Cooker3: 6-7am guests r alllowed in as thats when revolving doors reopen

For the next two years the SU are putting huge pressure on Res to change the agreement we have to pay to make it more far.At one stage the agreement Sinnoa(or however u spell it) was the excate same as res but when SU approched them wit suggestions they took the suggetsions on board whereas res just completely ignored the suggestions.

Alot of security is gone cause they have esigned.They all felt they were getting treated badly by the students and werent getting paied fairly so they resigned which is why foreign guys and that r now coming into their places

And a little secret here.All the security guys actualy hate that ypoke in charg,they cant stand him cause hes so pushy

Other thing is yes they want to make our student cards also our cards to access res but theres been problems.The coding over writes the coding to gain access to the libray so when you try get into the libary your card is rejected.So Im pretty sue they wont be bring in using yyour student cards any day soon Im afriad.

I remember last year though having a spare swipe card and it didnt work on my door but it worked on the outer door.So when security made u swipe your card coming in the door the person,non-res,could get in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

sinnoa? can someone decipher this for me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Shanowen.. maybe.

I think she doesnt really say anything important though, so dont worry.

tinkerbell wrote:
    My boyfriend stayed over sooo many nights on res, there was no problem getting him in. And having stayed on res for FOUR years, I think I would know how often security hang around asking people for ID. The only time I have ever been asked for ID was for the freshers ball and the rag ball. Any other night, and they don't even come outta that cubby hole they stay in. And on those two nights, my boyfriend just wouldn't come over coz I know he wouldn't get in.

Yes but thats your boyfriend who could come over at any time. Our gripe is for those out on a Wednesday or Thursday nights, coming home at around 3 and being greeted by Security at the revolving door. That happened nearly ever night up until the last few when the place was just deserted.
    tinkerbell wrote:
    I liked res, it was comfortable, really lovely, and it was secure - I didn't have to worry about someone nicking my stuff, I'd a big room to myself and my own bathroom, and a massive kitchen (I was in the deluxe College Park this year).

I was the same. I even really liked Larkfield in first year, it was nice and cose and tbh the only downside was the shared bathroom. It always had a class atmosphere though! College Park was great this year too, it was basically brand new and everything was perfect. My only complaint was our kettle blew up after a few weeks and the couches were pretty much THE most uncomfortable ones I've ever sat/lay/sleeped in...
    tinkerbell wrote:
    As for the room inspections - I think they are a great idea. I lived with pigs this year (don't get me even started on them trollops!), and I would anticipate the inspection because I knew that the kitchen would actually be clean that day, and that it wasn't only me that cleaned the place up. And besides, jees the inspection is not that big of a deal anyway. All you gotta do is clean up your room, and eh ... don't you have to do that on a regular basis anyway?!

Ah but the problem was that when your a clean person and you live with slobs you end up having to clean their mess. Fair enough theres breaking up the jobs and stuff but it gets annoying. *Note the people I lived with were grand this year, werent ye negev. :D

My other complaint was that some of the charges and standards of cleanliness were OTT. I mean for the second room inspection I was running abit late and had to have a quick shower before my labs. My room was already perfectly tidy but my bathroom floor was deemed "too wet" to pass. I told her that it wouldnt have been wet if they had installed decent bloody showers and that there was no way I was gona be charged for it and she just agreed and that was the end of it, others however havnt been so lucky.
    Also the introduction of fines per "item" is ridiclous. Dirty shower + sink + toilet = €20 + €15 + €20 or something like that etc...
    Now while I've never been fined I must say it can be a giant pain in the ass...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

They fined me and I got a card once, but I never got charged for either... woot. Meant to take it out of my deposit but they didnt. Left my room pretty messy too, well, dusty.

Res itself is great, res regulations suck the big one.

Considering I was res rep for Larkfield last year and have been filled in on all the developements to happen wit res you can choose to ignore what I say or pay heed to it its up to ye but Id say I know what Im talkin bout

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

People, I've had to edit a few of your posts.

Please don't name people in a defamatory manner. If you have a gripe with people, fair enough, but unless you actually have positive proof that a person is a "manbeast", you can't actually say that kind of stuff without the possibility of the people who run boards.ie getting in trouble. It should be possible for you to get across your gripes with Res without having to resort to personal abuse of the staff. After all, the staff simply implement the policies of the Company.

And just an aside/personal note, I learned the hard way some years ago on the 'net that you should probably not abuse people for the way they post, in terms of their grammar or spelling, because there's a half chance you're slagging off someone who is dyslexic or similar. Not nice.

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

spockety wrote:
    And just an aside/personal note, I learned the hard way some years ago on the 'net that you should probably not abuse people for the way they post, in terms of their grammar or spelling, because there's a half chance you're slagging off someone who is dyslexic or similar. Not nice.

J.
    Just in relation to this, I realise it's off topic, but there are plenty of boards users who are dyslexic who make an effort to ensure that their posts are at least readable.

There's nothing stopping most people using a word processor, or similar when posting. Dyslexia is not an excuse for laziness.

If someone is afraid of getting mocked, or being misinterpreted due to bad spelling and/or grammar then why not take an extra few seconds to use a spellchecker/dictionary. I always have Word open when posting and I’ll check the dictionary if I’m worried that something I write might be misconstrued, or otherwise misinterpreted.

I’m not saying it’s necessary, but if you are sensitive about it then make an effort.

I know I do.

Jesjes wrote:
    Res itself is great, res regulations suck the big one.
    And thats it in a nutshell. :)

Advertisement