Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest 5 new albums I should get....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 joflo

"O" by Damien Rice will become as classic as Astral Weeks, trust me......or maybe not?
    Let face it you dont know me???....
    But trust me on this one...if I'm not right, post it and let me know?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Epid

Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft (not the best album if you've never heard them b4)
    Wheat - Hope & Adams (fecking deadly, probably only get it online)
    Headgear - Headgear (you'll only get it in Tower, v.good)
    Deus - Ideal Crash
    David Kitt - Square 1 (brilliant sunday morning music)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

Easy. Five of Elliott Smith's six albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i know there not really indie but....

death for above 1979 - "youre a woman im a machine" is a savage album

also

stars of cctv - hard fi is quality aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 daveymack

Death from above 1979 !!!!! Best album this year !!

Also, check out Autolux, Apples in Stereo, Idiot Pilot, Warlocks, the Walkmen ...I could go on!

(That's a fine mix for ya!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 maherw2

Some great recommendations so far,
    Les Savy Fav- Inches is an overlooked classic that everyone should go and listen too.
    I'd also recommend Tom Vek- We have sound and Boards of Canada- Music has the right to children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

post what you're into (stuff you own) and a more appropriate list can be compiled. Personally I think a lot of what has been posted has been garbage. Theres a difference between whats good and whats popular and fashionable to like (Arcade Fire are an example of the former, Kasabian an example of the latter).

I'll echo the sentiments of whoever mentioned Push Barman by Belle and Sebastian. The CD containing the Lady Line Painter Jane EPs is quite simply the greatest collection of songs I have ever heard (my own opinion of course). And how about that news about a B+S gig for the Ambassador in Feb - great news indeed.

A couple I'll add to the list, though these might not be to everyone's liking;

Kingsbury Manx - Kingsbury Manx, or Aztec Discipline. Both terriffic. they have a new album but I haven't made up my mind about that yet).

Brendan Benson - Lapalco, or The Alternative to Love - 2 great albums. He mentioned at his previous gig that he was coming back to tour Ireland soon. Not to be missed.

Editors debut is impressive. They're show in Whelans likewise.

I have a liking for the Chalets. Songs are short, simple, poppy and meaningless. A great combination.

Jape - The Monkeys in the Zoo - Here's hoping these lads are going to be stars.

If you're young enough not to remember the late 80s theres lots of fun to be had by bringing yourself up to speed with the goings-on of that era. Not the obvious bands like the Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays, but lesser known lights such as Inspiral Carpets, anything John Power-related (Cast/Las/JP solo), etc.

New bands that are capturing the interest. Anyone who was at the Brendan Benson gig last month might remember the second support act, OK GO. They sound very decent. Koufax sound interesting, if a little Bloc Party-ish at times, and El Goodo from Wales seem ok, if a little unoriginal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭irishraven

David Jackson - Breaking Ground
    Howie Day - Stop All The World Now
    Matt Nathanson - Beneath These Fireworks
    Matt Wertz - Twenty Three Places
    Teitur - Poetry and Aeroplane (not new but amazing)

anyway these are my fav albums of the moment and u can get them all at www.awarestore.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Some really good albums already mentioned.

I'll add a few.

1) pretty much any Sonic Youth - I particularly like the latest one Sonic Nurse

2) Earth Sun and Moon - Midnight Oil. Highly underated and misrepresented.

Interesting to see the Fatimas mentioned. For some other excellent Irish albums.

3) Humbucker - Mexican Pets. Criminally ignored.

4) Polichinelle - The Prayer Boat. Should have been big but wasnt.

5) SHAM - The Mary janes. Some may scoff but a very very good album by a very talented bunch of Irishmen (and an Aussie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

JoeyD wrote:
    Hmmmm, sticking with the new indie music theme, and in no particular order, here goes:

The Rakes - Capture
    Editors - The Back Room
    The Departure - Dirty Words
    Cat Power - You Are Free
    Autolux - Future Perfect
    Arctic Monkeys (dunno what the album is yet, but they rocked Whealans the other night :D )
    Andrew Bird - Mysterious Production Of Eggs
    Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - Life Begins Again
    Cathy Davey - Something Ilk

Other recent "must haves" which i'm sure everyone has:

Arcade Fire
    Interpol
    Shins

I love Cathy Davey-she is AMAZING!!! She also did some stuff with Autamata on their last album My Sanctuary (a track called Jelly Man-which is really good ****)

Right I also can't count.. a bit of indie but a bit of "urban" influenced stuff too , which is currently taking over my stereo system

*DJ Shadow-entroducing (oldie but goodie-really doesn't age I guess)
    *Concretes-The Concretes
    *Ryan Adams-Gold (an oldie, but a goodie, has everything on there-for a nu relationship, a break up,it's just gold...sigh)
    *Belle&Sebastian (this is hard...either Tiger Milk, or The boy with the Arab Strap or Dear Catastrophe Waitress...they're all soo good)
    *Disposable Heroes of Hypocrisy-Hypocrisy Is the Greatest Luxury
    *Smog-Dongs of Sevotion
    *Doors-Doors (1st album)
    *Beck-midnight vultures (uber funky, Odelay is over-played)
    *Ben Kweller-on my way
    *Chalets-Chalets (happy indie pop-yaaaaaay)

There are soooo many more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 playtoh

Souvenirs CD1 - The Frank And Walters
    Souvenirs CD2 - The Frank And Walters
    Souvenirs CD3 (Free Download) - The Frank And Walters

- just class.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

This is what i listened to today and i could reckomend them all

Bright Eyes/Digital Ash In A digital Urn
    Neil Young/ Rust never sleeps and Tonights the night and On the Beach
    Rufus Wainwright/ Want One
    Fiona Apple/Extrordenary Machine
    Arcade Fire/Funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I know Bloc Party and Arcade Fire have been mentioned numerous times but both absolutely essential. So here are my personal three favourites of the past year..

Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    Death Cab For Cutie - Plans

.. and two older excellent ones for good measure:

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism
    The Postal Service - Give Up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The Pixies - Bossanova
    Happy mondays- Pills thrills and Belly aches
    Orbital - Brown Album
    Sigur Ros - ()
    Arcade fire - Funeral

This weeks favorites;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Closing Doors

Maccattack wrote:
    4) Polichinelle - The Prayer Boat. Should have been big but wasnt.

Has that not been deleted? I've been looking for a copy but haven't found one...Road Recs didn't have it on their site, Tower had a Prayer Boat section but no CDs and you can forget about HMV...

If anybody knows where to get a copy please let us know.

Maccattack wrote:
    5) SHAM - The Mary janes. Some may scoff but a very very good album by a very talented bunch of Irishmen (and an Aussie)

Very good album indeed :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

I found my copy of the Prayer Boat album in a bargain bin in Tower records London. Think it costs about 2 pounds. Absolute bargain if ever there was one.

have you tried gemm? you'd probably get it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Solid Vs Liquid - The great decline
    Uncle ponto - In my hour of need
    Dry Riser - Omega point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

I know everyone has mentioned them, but you need arcade fire in your life! also the woods by sleater kinney, you're a woman i'm a machine by dfa 1979, and apologies for queen mary by wolf parade are amazing. i haven't actually got my hands on them yet, but i've heard tell that future perfect by autolux and the new architecture in helsinki album are extremely good. my sister is getting them for me for xmas (way too early to mention it, i know) and i'm having a lot of trouble waiting for them....

as regards older albums you may not have, check out p.j. harvey's entire back catalogue, take-offs and landings by rilo kiley and fever to tell by yeah yeah yeahs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Not sure about the Wolf Parade one.. Are we just looking for a new 'Arcade Fire' ??

Anyway, these records are essentioal purchases

Nada Surf : Let Go ( Not the most recent one, but the best )

Vitalic : OK Cowboy

Couse and the Impossible : The World Should Know

Sigus Ross : Takk

Death Cab for Cutie : Plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 playtoh

1. Souvenirs - The Frank And Walters
    2. Heartworm - Whipping Boy
    3. Making Music So You Dont Have To - Fred
    4. We Got Music - Hybrasil (EP)
    5. Leave It On - The Delorentos (EP)

All Irish and each one as good as anything you're likely to hear ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭McFiddler

Punchbowl wrote:
    Not sure about the Wolf Parade one.. Are we just looking for a new 'Arcade Fire' ??

I think it's such a pity for people to dismiss Wolf Parade as being an Arcade Fire rip off. Arcade Fire are not all that original themslves, you can hear some definite similarities in some early modest mouse stuff. In fact if anything I'd say Wolf Parade are more influenced by Modest Mouse than Arcade Fire. Apologies to the Queen Mary is a very good and higly addictive album. BUY IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Well that's cool so.. I happen to like Modest Mouse too.. I suppose I should just stop listening to my girlfriend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭odhran

i thought of another one: stars- set yourself on fire. great album with a great title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Aphex Twin - drukqs
    Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
    Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
    The Go! Team - Thunder Lightning Strike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Aphex Twin - drukqs

Wird you should mention that album, i got it when it came out in 2001, only just had a listen to it again yesterday. Some of it is entirely unlistenable, sounds like about 20 drum machines all playing different beats at once, but the ambient/piano stuff is just beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Andy-Pandy wrote:
    This is what i listened to today and i could reckomend them all

<SNIP>
    Neil Young/ Rust never sleeps and Tonights the night and On the Beach
    <SNIP>

good man. Not sure if Quarryman has listened to much Neil Young - but On The Beach is certainly my favourite album of all time.

Also - At The Drive In - Relationsip of Command is up there - I seem to recommend it everytime one of these threads comes up. But I stand by it.

Can't really recommend much new music - it generally all sounds the same to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Also - At The Drive In - Relationsip of Command is up there - I seem to recommend it everytime one of these threads comes up. But I stand by it.

Getting while im typing, also for some quality funky soulfull reggae, try some Toots and the Maytals.Great thread, got some quality music out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 anti-uncle

If your talking recent albums, my five would be:

Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Modest Mouse - Good news for people who like bad news
    Kings of Leon - aha shake
    Bloc Party - Silent alarm
    Mars volta - Frances the mute

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭m

Dave Couse and the impossible : The world should know.

The Sundays : reading writing and artimithic

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind soundtrack

Alphastates : Made from sand

The Editors : The back room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

One of the best albums I've heard this year:

Architecture in Helsinki - In Case We Die

Their gig in TBMC was fantastic as well. If you were going to compare their style to another band, they would probably have influences from 'The Arcade Fire', 'Roxy Music' and 'The Cure'. 8-piece band. Fantatstic sound....

Other favourite albums of 2005:

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - HOWL
    Test Icicles - For Screening Purposes Only
    Nine Black Alps - Everything Is
    Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

Advertisement