Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Cry?

• 06-08-2005 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

The thread on here about songs making you cry made me realise something.

Its been at least 3-4 years since i really cried. Not trying to sound macho etc. cos i used to enjoy a good cry. But it just doesnt happen to me anymore.

Dont get me wrong, ive had plenty of situations where i wish i could have had a good cry, it always made me feel better when i was upset about something in the past. But now regardless of how bad i might feel i never seem to cry, anyone else see where im coming from here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

do u mean crying after losing someone or crying after a movie or a book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Not in a good while, but that's due to my good fortune these past few years more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Brighteyes,

No reason in particular, any reason you can think of. Lots of different things can cause tears im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

both, it doesn't really matter. I sometimes cry if I get really super pissed, but I find it impossible to cry fter watching a movie or book, I might feel very sad after watching/reading it but I just somehow don't cry....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I can't cry at funerals or anything like that but after watching the green mile, my eyes always end up watery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Although what does get me crying is when some band try covering a classi song and butcher the **** out of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

nah i never cry i don't let stuff get in my head enough for them to effect me in that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Originally posted by IncredibleBulk
    I can't cry at funerals or anything like that but after watching the green mile, my eyes always end up watery.

I'm the exact same except my film is Armageddon. Poor Liv crying her eyes out at the end. So sad. Or is it me that's so sad?! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭inflight

I'm not usually one for crying but there was one day last week when for absolutely no reason whatsoever I couldn't stop, for part of the afternoon and all of the evening I was inconsolable! Weirdest day and mood ever.. and it wasn't one of those little cries that you feel better after, it was a sh!tty feeling that lasted a day and a half. Hope it doesn't happen again any time soon, freaked me out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

i shed a tear when my grandmother died. Also when i broke up with my then girlfriend, not because of her, but i had to tell her family cos they were between me and the door, that was tough cos they really liked me.

I think its good to release a bit of emotion now and then.. Too many lads just bottle everything up (I used to do this, but having a few female friends prodding at my thoughts has changed that for the better)

Most things i can tackle head on though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

i try not to but i cant help it,especially in movies i become so attached to some of the characters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Two things in life make me cry...ppl close to me dying and my girlfriend dumping me. have cried about 3 times in past 10 or so years.

Physical pain never makes me cry, i've dislocated my knee a few times and some other sore things but its always the emotional stuff that gets me.

Anyman can cry...it takes a real man to admit it.

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Ive never cryed about a movie or anything but sometimes when everythings getting on top of me and im under a lot of stress at work I do go home and have a good cry , not very often though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

No. I haven't cried about anything for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

WellyJ wrote:
    Its been at least 3-4 years since i really cried. Not trying to sound macho etc. cos i used to enjoy a good cry. But it just doesnt happen to me anymore.
    same here (if not more)
    no matter how much bad **** happens to me, i just can't seem to shed a tear. even if i feel ripped apart on the inside :(
    tis ****

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

I havent cried in years also..A sad film or scene would bring a tear to my eyes sometimes but nothing substantial enough to be called crying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

all the time....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nightwish wrote:
    all the time....
    youve got me started..

tbh no unless its a great book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

last film i remember crying to was saving private ryan, where he gets killed, i couldnt cry when news broke to me that my uncle died in the kitchen, shock i suppose but it happened 2 hrs later, and my next door neighbour who i was close to died in feb. so that made me cry.

macho maybe not, but it relieves a bit of pressure sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

only when dealing with mechanics

• Advertisement

youve got me started..

what? how?

me too,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nightwish wrote:
    what? how?
    shh it's just a joke :P
    when some people cry there are those that just join in.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I cry all the damn time, over many situations that get me down.

I don't feel that crying will make me feel better, or cure whatever my problem is, I'm just a sensitive guy. I'm not ashamed to admit I cry and I'm not ashamed to cry infront of people. I've done it many times before, there is nothing wrong with it, unless it's used as a tool in order to gain something. It's a simple method of displaying emotion, and I'm glad I have that ability.

They say crying is a sign of strength... If that's true, then I must be a Titanium Ogre by now.

shh it's just a joke :P
    when some people cry there are those that just join in.

oops...Im just paranoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

its a very rare occasion. i cant remember the last time. many new moons have been since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I cried when Liverpool won the Champions League.
    First time I've cried in years and the only time I've ever cried when I was happy.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

only time I've ever cried when I was happy

I've yet to experience that feeling myself, although I've flooded many a house by crying from laughter. I'm sure some of you have done that, also.

Makaveli wrote:
    I cried when Liverpool won the Champions League.
    First time I've cried in years and the only time I've ever cried when I was happy.

that reminds me of when i shed a tear or two when Arsenal lost that cup winners cup final with the goal from the half way line. that was a sad night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tears are a natural thing, basic human function.

Haven't cried in god knows how long, might have been tear or two when my lovely fluffy west highland dog was knocked down and killed... :(

Interestingly, my girlfriend started crying today because I kept gently poking her. She cries when she gets frustrated....its quite wierd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Heh, I remember we made a guy in school cry because we kept chanting "Nayim from the halfway line" over and over.

That's mainly because crying is a very effective method of venting. Crying can express a multitude of emotions.

It's a wonderful thing indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I cry all the time. It can get embarrassing. I've cried at movies, I've cried at games, I've cried during exams...
    Damn my exceptionally girly tear ducts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

footballs the last thing i cried at,1990 world cup the germans beating us on penos in the semis.i cried like a baby,so sad :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Tar, I always think your avatar looks like its about to cry. Its a rather sad image I think.

Me cry, yep. Period pains :mad: , coming home from america after 6 months and seeing my parents, then realising I wasnt going back to america :( , but looking at me I aeem like a tought cookie. And I never cry at films or books or programmes. Jesus my mother used to always get going while watching Surprise Surprise "Here chuck, here's the father you haven't seen in tweny fivvve years...SURRRPRISe, SURRPRISE!!!!!" And she'd be off!!! lol

• Advertisement

actually just remembered, i cry a bit when im laughing, i often have to wipe my eyes and then someone askeds me in a sorrow voice "what happened are you ok"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Cried about a month there while drunk.
    Woke up crying about a friend who i never see ( i should be seeing him this weekend tho)
    pretty, was a fúcked up dream alright think he god kidnaped or something lmao.

Hardly shed a tear tho when my Grandmother died, when they moved the coffin, and when they put the coffin in the ground i cried for about a minute each time. Nothing at the wake tho, I think id be different when it comes to my Grandfathers funeral as him and me were always close.

Damn my exceptionally girly tear ducts.

Thou should be slapped for your blasphemous comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Interestingly, my girlfriend started crying today because I kept gently poking her.

And they say romance is dead. ;)

I can cry pretty easily if I want to. I should be an actor.

Watching TV doesn't really make me cry though I remember I shed a few tears over that ER episode where Dr Greene died. Then again, if you can't cry over that episode you're a monster!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

When United lost to Bayern Munich in the Champions League 1/4ers in 00 i think I cried like never before.

• Advertisement

Makaveli wrote:
    Heh, I remember we made a guy in school cry because we kept chanting "Nayim from the halfway line" over and over.

kids are so cruel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes. Yes I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

No, I might get a bit watery eyed at a very good movie or something, or if Im hungover and the most rediculous disney movie or baywatch episode is on I might get a bit teary eyed but it would never result in tears. The last time I cried was about 4 years ago when I broke up with someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've only cried about 3 or 4 times in my life. Nearly started crying about 2 months back when I had to have my dog put down though. Had to hold it in while I was in the vets office though, and once I hold a feeling in, I find it difficult to come back to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Stark wrote:
    I've only cried about 3 or 4 times in my life. Nearly started crying about 2 months back when I had to have my dog put down though. Had to hold it in while I was in the vets office though, and once I hold a feeling in, I find it difficult to come back to it...

Ahhh man, Ive been there. Sorry

Sarky wrote:
    Yes. Yes I do.

........after someone pulls his beard on him :)

Sparky_S wrote:
    ........after someone pulls his beard on him :)

When he wakes up after a wild party and instead of waxing his eyebrows they wax parts of his beard

When he wakes up after a wild party and instead of waxing his eyebrows they wax parts of his beard

oh the humiliation, poor sarky will have lost his magic then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

for Titanic, and when my grandad died last year (i hate funerals, they'r so depressing)

snorlax wrote:
    for Titanic, and when my grandad died last year (i hate funerals, they'r so depressing)

Sounds strange when you mix those two together in one sentence.

Know what gets me, a male, teary? Animals being hurt. If I see on tv/dvd/whatever/real life animals getting hurt, dogs and cats being killed in movies, even that scene in Ice Age where the wall painting show the baby and mother mammoth getting attacked and the dad being speared, I felt sadness welling up in me...

• Advertisement
Advertisement