Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-derogatory Limerick Colloquialisms

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

peckerhead wrote:
    'Takkies' is Afrikaans, but it's been Sowth Effricun (S. African English) for runners/trainers for donkeys years. :)

I would love to know how the word migrated from South Africa to Limerick. The word "Tackies" has been used for runners as far back as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭sioda

The use of double negatives has to be a major limerick thing

Such as: I wasn't doing nothin or I wasn't doin nothin to no one or the classic I didn't do nothins not exactly double negative but hey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I would love to know how the word migrated from South Africa to Limerick. The word "Tackies" has been used for runners as far back as I can remember.

My mum used to live in Canada and she said she heard it being used out there too.

The following isn't a Limerick colloquialism, but I was in hospital the other day and one of the patients said to a nurse, which I thought was funny,

"Hurry up and take your time!"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not sure if this is exclusive to Limerick but when younger we used to say "That's rapid" meaning that's brilliant or great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

yup bazz i remember that one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement