Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hygiene - The lost art??

• 02-08-2005 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

What is it with people and lack of hygiene?? I mean I would have thought that it is elementary, like learning to walk! In the last week I have had the misfortune of dealing with people of the smelly kind whether it bad breath or that "I don't shower" smell, the final straw was just now dealing with a client who was scratching his arse crack in front of me then going to shake my hand! Do these people not realise that you make others feel sick, make there time around you unpleasant and generally irritate! It cant be that hard to have a shower in the morning so you don't smell like gone off milk and old socks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I wash. It's hot out, some people might be busy.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I feel your pain. Its horrible on the train and some fat smelly man is beside you holding onto the rail above and his armpit is right in your face!! What I don’t get is how come they cant smell themselves???

Lump wrote:
    some people might be busy.

John
    That is no excuse not to wash. Get up 20 mins earlier and have a bloody shower!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

I assure you they can't smell themselves, I should know. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye but wat if they hav a shower in the mornin then get smelly over the course of the day? its not as if they can bring a shower with them. they probably can smell themselves but theres nothin they can do about it til they get home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭shakaman

Kiera wrote:
    That is no excuse not to wash. Get up 20 mins earlier and have a bloody shower!!!!

Lump isn't saying that people are too busy to shower, he's saying that some people rush around in their jobs during the day and sweat in their workclothes. They don't have the option to shower during their work day as they're busy.

I feel your pain too though with some people BO just can't be helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

Ifeel for ya there, when i was in school there was a girl in my class who'd come in in september and be fine, but get gradually smellier and smellier throughout the year! You could smell her as soon as she entered the room! I don't think she washed herself or her uniform once in the year, only during the summer. It was awful, i sat beside her for a while and every time she put up her hand, a fresh waft of it knocked you out. You'd be diving for the window to gasp some clean air! It's not that hard to get up and have a shower, or even bung your clothes in the washing machine!

*rant over*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

shakaman wrote:

I used to have to work with a guy who had a fairly bad BO problem.

he ended up haveing to get a Special Deoderant,

a few clients basicly said they didn't want him down in the office any more till ti was sorted. they didn't say it to him , but to me as i was his Sup .

Prob the hardest thing to have a "Meeting" about, at least when you fire someone, it's not like they will be around in the office after that :o

shakaman wrote:
    Lump isn't saying that people are too busy to shower, he's saying that some people rush around in their jobs during the day and sweat in their workclothes. They don't have the option to shower during their work day as they're busy.

I’m sorry but I don’t care how busy you are in work. There’s no way people can get that smelly by having a shower that morning and building up a sweat!!! This is the kind of sweat that has been there for a while!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

When ppl go into a toilet and dont wah their hands. I see it all the time in Shopping Centres and the like. ****ing disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Shrimp wrote:
    When ppl go into a toilet and dont wah their hands. I see it all the time in Shopping Centres and the like. ****ing disgusting.
    Everytime there's a thread on hygiene I relate this story, but one time as I was washing my hands, a guy came over from the urinal, dried his hands and left. I shudder just thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

heh, never work in IT :p
    but seriously i know what you are on about.. sure we all smell a little off from time to time, but i mean seriously, most people dont smell of week old sweat! showers are NOT THAT BAD. when i was in secondry school i had to sit beside this guy in maths who smell STRONGLY of urine. it was sick. then there's that stale stink of BO, which is just..well...rotten.
    personally i find it hard to go without a shower for one day. hell if it's hot out i'd have two :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Shrimp wrote:
    While I strive to have a shower everyday, sometimes I just don't have the time to so in that case I put A LOAD of deodrant on and hope it holds out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Shrimp wrote:
    Have to agree with ya there! Especially when they're touching stuff like the cubicle doors and all. Filthy dogs.

While I strive to have a shower everyday, sometimes I just don't have the time to so in that case I put A LOAD of deodrant on and hope it holds out!

Man, it's not about just not smelling. you can not shower for 2 days and not smell, it depends what you're doing. It's the hygine. Hygine is not smell. It's the germs, etc.. If you go into a toilet and it smells really fresh, it doesn't mean it's clean. It just means they put loads of air freshner in the air.

I think i need to shower at least once a day, first thing in the morning. Otherwise you feel like a mess for the day, your hair is all knotted, and like not nice. Ans u have to was away all the oils/dust/etc.. that builds up from th previous day. By putting deodrant on, you are just covering up the pours, and they get clogged, therefore resulting in spots/blackheads.

Thats another thing, why do some people have so many blackheads. Like litterly covered in them, it's horrible. I myself dont have one, I shower. Put two and two together.

Crucifix wrote:
    Everytime there's a thread on hygiene I relate this story, but one time as I was washing my hands, a guy came over from the urinal, dried his hands and left. I shudder just thinking about it.

ah he didn't have to wash his hands, he had his own washing technique. :rolleyes: It's disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Shrimp wrote:

I agree except in dirty toilets wherever they are. I will wash my hands as long as I dont have to turn off the rap, touch the hand drier, or open the door or the two doors on the way out of the toilet. My cock is clean, everyone elses mightent be, or those bums or just plain uncoirdinated people who wipe there arse and get shít all over there hands and go turn on the tap with same shíthand. Or people who piss/shít on there hands and walk out the door using hte same handle that I have to? If all Im doing is a piss and its in a busy manky toilet I will use tissue to lock the door and open it and then wait for someone to be walking out ahead of me and then hold the door open with my foot. This of course would not be done if my aim was bad that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

joejoem wrote:
    I will wash my hands as long as I dont have to turn off the rap, touch the hand drier, or open the door or the two doors on the way out of the toilet.

Jees. I never even think twice. There's germs everywhere. If you don't get them in the jacks, you'll pick them up somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Shrimp wrote:
    By putting deodrant on, you are just covering up the pours, and they get clogged, therefore resulting in spots/blackheads.

Thats another thing, why do some people have so many blackheads. Like litterly covered in them, it's horrible. I myself dont have one, I shower. Put two and two together.

:rolleyes:

If the toilet isnt clean i use my feet. Like to open the door etc.. u have to was your hands it's so important. If you didnt' ud be a ridden with germs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Shrimp wrote:

That's unfair. Some people are just more prone to acne/blackheads etc.. it's naive to assume that those who are, shower less than those who aren't.

K.

That's unfair. Some people are just more prone to acne/blackheads etc.. it's naive to assume that those who are, shower less than those who aren't.

K.
    Not acne, thats different. Blackheads is as a direct result of not showering. If you wash your pours dont get blocked, it's simple? Thats all there is to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dearg_doom wrote:
    Have to agree with ya there! Especially when they're touching stuff like the cubicle doors and all. Filthy dogs.
    i have yet, failed to see any public toilets (except them one's on the streets where you pay to enter) that have a sink and a hand dryer in the cubicle, how do you expect them to release themseleves from the cubicle without touching the door? :D

Shrimp wrote:
    If the toilet isnt clean i use my feet. Like to open the door etc.. u have to was your hands it's so important. If you didnt' ud be a ridden with germs.

True, and I would first chance I get, but think Mac D's on O Connell St, think of the junkies, scum bags and generally dirty/diseaase ridden people who go in there and would end up touching everything as said before, now for some reason in most of these places you have to push the door to go in and pull it to get out, so no feet can be used unless you want to do a Van Dam and put one foot out to the side and pull the door open! But as far as the germs on my hand would go afterwards they would be much much less than those in the bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Shrimp wrote:
    Not acne, thats different. Blackheads is as a direct result of not showering. If you wash your pours dont get blocked, it's simple? Thats all there is to it.

Not true, I shower everyday, wash my face in the evening and at night also.

So I suppose we can assume everyone who has a blackhead or two is a filthy dog who never showers :rolleyes:

Your view is the way a child would view things tbh....it's hardly that simple

Do a van dam.. I do, ha, if no one is there. or wait for someone to come in the put ur foot init, or just get tissue, and like hod the handle. Normally i'd go into a hotel if i need the tiolet, or some decent establishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Ahem. http://www.news-medical.net/?id=553

Some poor pub hygiene. A fella was eating and he had chips with it and a time came when he wanted ketchup and there was a bottle of ketchup on the table.

He licks his knife, dips it into the ketchup bottle, which some unfortunate has to use later, and scoops out some. God bless individual packets.

And people who have bad breath but are also the sort who stand really in your face when they're talking to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

joejoem wrote:
    If all Im doing is a piss and its in a busy manky toilet I will use tissue to lock the door and open it and then wait for someone to be walking out ahead of me and then hold the door open with my foot. This of course would not be done if my aim was bad that day

Your name is Howard Hughes is it? Sounds like you have OCD.

I think one shower in the morning is the bare minimum that anyone should do on a regular day.
    I was sitting on the bus yesterday and this dirty old woman sat down beside me, she stank to high heaven, she had this big suitcase with her that blocked me from making a dash out of the seat and upstairs to fresh air, had to endure the whole journey with my head 180 degrees turned away from her, gasping like a fish out of water for air.

Shrimp wrote:
    Like litterly covered in them, it's horrible

a blackhead or two is a filthy dog who never showers

Please read back before posting..

• Advertisement

grimloch wrote:

And people who have bad breath but are also the sort who stand really in your face when they're talking to you.

I HATE THAT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

grimloch wrote:
    Bull****
    grimloch wrote:
    He licks his knife, dips it into the ketchup bottle, which some unfortunate has to use later, and scoops out some. God bless individual packets.
    Agreed, i dont like my family drinking out of the milk carton then putting it back in the fridge :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

i live in the middle of the sticks, and on a wed night in the local, six farmers come into the pub and stink out the place with the smell of cow crap, you honestly cant stay in the place with the stench of them, (wed is mart day you see),

oh god thats horrible crazymonkey..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭shakaman

The worst thing is fellas pissin on the seat, there's no excuse for that. Just went in to the loo and it's all over the seat. Wipe the f'in thing after you for god's sake or (sorry for sounding like a housewife or summit;) lift the damn seat.

Disgusting

Cow crap kinda smelly clean...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Skip

I can, erm... smell some paranoid tendencies here :rolleyes: If your immune system is okay, it will deal with the bacteria all by itself, even if you don't wash your hands. Mind you, I do :D After a while people will stop touching objects or having contact with other human beings, what a brave new world it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=285208

First story is a funny one, can't be bothered writing it out again though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It amazes me how some people seem to smell of sh1t all the time. I'm just wondering how they manage this. Maybe they don't bother wiping their arse (a fella in school used to boast about not doing this - shudder) Maybe they only change their underpants every month. Maybe they do wipe their arse but get **** all over their hand and under their fingernails and then make a poor effort at cleaning it off.

Old people with who are incontinent or have colostomy bags often reek but I suppose that's understandable. No excuse for young, healthy people.

Then there's the smelly farters - you're standing in a queue in a shop and some bollox right in front of you lets a sllent but vile fart. All the worst farts I've smelt have been in situations like this. Some are so bad that I'm convinced the farter must haved "followed through" (aka sharting)

OTOH women never seem to fart and I've never come across any evidence that they sh1t either. They must convert all their waste products to colourless, odourless CO2 or something...

BrianD3 wrote:

OTOH women never seem to fart and I've never come across any evidence that they sh1t either. They must convert all their waste products to colourless, odourless CO2 or something...

Yes that is sooooo true!!! We dont fart!!!!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

BrianD3 wrote:
    Then there's the smelly farters - you're standing in a queue in a shop and some bollox right in front of you lets a sllent but vile fart. All the worst farts I've smelt have been in situations like this. Some are so bad that I'm convinced the farter must haved "followed through".

Now this is something i find really funny , best was i let one go on a packed Dart on wet monday morning ... I don't know how i didn't just start laughing , let rip 1 stop before it was my stop ... man it's brought a smile to my face =)
    BrianD3 wrote:

Well as i heard some stand up say ( and afaik it's very true)

"Women can't fart , they don't shut up long enough to build up any pressure"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

are you talking hygiene or cleanliness?

theres more germs on coins than toilet seats.

how do you like dem apples?

Megatron wrote:
    Well as i heard some stand up say ( and afaik it's very true)

"Women can't fart , they don't shut up long enough to build up any pressure"
    LOL :D So true... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yes, I was referring to people in labour intensive work. Or people who work in a building with no Air Con.... They then sit on the bus/tube/luas letting the sweat dry and stink. However I don know that there are some smelly fúcking people out there. Luckily everyone I know seems to be able to wash.... actually I know one smelly fúcker in work.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

By putting deodrant on, you are just covering up the pours, and they get clogged, therefore resulting in spots/blackheads.

mr. perfecto over here

anymore tips on skin care you care to share with us darling ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

OMG me too! He was awful -- but it was a problem, it wasn't him per se, although he wasn't the cleanest, he wasn't the dirtiest either.

He's smell fine in the morning and by afternoon, sweeet Jesus.

*shudder*

I felt awful for him, but we had to have a talk -- we were getting complaints from customers.
    Megatron wrote:
    I used to have to work with a guy who had a fairly bad BO problem.

he ended up haveing to get a Special Deoderant,

a few clients basicly said they didn't want him down in the office any more till ti was sorted. they didn't say it to him , but to me as i was his Sup .

Prob the hardest thing to have a "Meeting" about, at least when you fire someone, it's not like they will be around in the office after that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

was on the bus back from the country and was sitting beside a girl, then all of a sudden, a smell would come across, and it was those ones that make you cringe, me and her looked at each other as to say, who the fck let that one off, so every body was looking around, and the amazing thing is this guy about 20 id say came down the isle and after him came a stink of stale sweat mixed with drink, but after he went no farting smells any more, so i bet it was him, and probably all his guinness.
    it was so bad i was putting my health at risk by breathing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

I think most people don't drink enough water nowadays. If you drink enough water your sweat doesn't smell that bad. People who are poorly hydrated and sweating are usually the worst smelling when they sweat. That's my theory anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I generally bring a can of deoderent with me to work in case I'm running about in the hot humid weather we had recently.

All this talk of farting reminds me when I was in a pub in the Canaries and a woman was talking very loudly to the rest of her consort, how the positioning of this came about boggles the mind but here is what was said:

"He farted in me face, 3 times" I broke my heart laughing when I heard this comment half announced to the bar and then had to leave the establishment in fits of laughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

There is nothing more disgusting than a smelly person. Except a fat smelly person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

The smell of sweat isn't too bad, and can't be helped on a hot/busy day, so I wouldn't hold that against someone. But the smell of BO, the kind that comes from not washing for days and weeks; that's disgusting. As is bad breath. Mercaptans = bad..

• Advertisement
Advertisement