Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Know whereabouts of old Bord Na Mona machinery ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 s00057232

seen the first bord na mona locomotive in the cavan-leitrim railway centre in dromod, co.leitrim..it was in a very poor condition,,with bord na mona's large profits and unique railway history,surely they could finance theyre own very first locomotive lm11,german built

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭james1410

I remeber years ago like 97 or that i went to look at a tractor with the ould lad and i went for a walk accross a field and there was this huge rusty red yoke in the corner of a field almost completly coverd in bryers it had tracks i didnt know what it was thinking about it maybe it was one of them machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

s00057232 wrote: »
    seen the first bord na mona locomotive in the cavan-leitrim railway centre in dromod, co.leitrim..it was in a very poor condition,,with bord na mona's large profits and unique railway history,surely they could finance theyre own very first locomotive lm11,german built

Unfortunately Bord Na Mona appear to have little or no interest in saving their old machinery. I wrote to the head of BnaM about 2 years ago asking for the Bagger that I saw abandonded to be saved (plus a suggestion that they set up a dedicated musem which would also be a good tourist attraction) and didnt even recieve a reply.

Apparently there is a collection of some old machinery (stored in the open) near their 'touristy' railway in the midlands (it was featured in the UK 'Classic Plant & Machinery' mag a few years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

cedan wrote: »
    @crazyeyes I work in those treches in coole for a private contractor spreading turf, passed through the BNM yard and didn't notice a bagger there but i'll be back there in march/april so i'll keep a better eye out.

One of the guys I work with used to operate a bagger years ago, love to hear the storys etc about life on the machines long ago.

my granddad drove a bagger for years and years in coolnagun, coole, co Westmeath till he retired.

My own dad drove a collector for a few years in 1987 ish time.

Neightbour of dads buried a bagger in same bog when fell asleep. took days to get it out and it was all 24 hour work then.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Not to mention all the husqvarnas and bultacos and bsa parts old and new buried in the bogs. Part of the not flooding the secondhand market with loads of cheap parts philosophy.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is a feature on an ex BNM Universal tractor in this months Irish Vintage Scene. Lovely job complete with double back wheels.

Advertisement