Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New cable/digital TV station for Ireland: Channel 6

Options
  • 27-07-2005 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

The Broadcasting Commission of Ireland has granted a licence for a new television channel.

The licence has been awarded to Channel 6 to provide a broad format of entertainment service aimed at 15 to 35-year-olds.

The service will be broadcast Monday to Friday for 12 to 15 hours per day.

Muglins Broadcasting Limited (trading as Channel 6) will have the rights for the service for 10 years.
    This will probably consist of a load of American programmes. Not a bad thing if they get the good ones.

And does anyone know what happened to all those regional TV licences that were given out a few years ago?

[edit]
    Here's the bit the Aertel scum left out:
    "Channel 6 will be carried on the NTL and Chorus analogue and digital platforms throughout the state as part of their basic television subscription package.

The service will be retransmitted on the Sky Digital Platform in Ireland and will be included in the Sky basic television subscription package."
    [/edit]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

who said it was terrestrial. they were given a license for cable/MMDS and satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Mossy Monk wrote:
    who said it was terrestrial. they were given a license for cable/MMDS and satellite
    Bloody useless Aertel leaving out half the story.

Thread title changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

IMO: It seems like another case of the BCI having to back into a licence because they had already got a licence from britian.

Let face NTL/Chourus could set up several Irish Channels without a licence for any of them.

Chourus Sport
    Waterford @ 8
    City Channel

But at least it is a good thing.

Now all they need to do is give out DTT licence.

I hope that C6, Setanta and the local channels get DTT licence once DTT is roled out.

I suppose those regional licences were all cable/digital as well?

Chourus Sport
    Waterford @ 8
    City Channel

I know a new version of CITY Channel has its licence got, so has Waterford at 8.

Don't know about Chours Sport.

But over the last ten years they haven't had a licence

• Advertisement

The way RTE are reporting this on the 9 O'Clock news you'd still think it was a licence for a terrestial channel. No mention that it's cable only at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I'm glad to hear another Channel enteriing the competition. But I fear it will be a heap o' sh!te. They've already lost points by calling it Channel 6. I wopnder how mush a marketing company were paid to come up with that mind blowing name.

I know that Tv3 isnt exactly a groundbreaking name either, but channel 6 just sucks donkey balls. Maybe they'll make up for that with half decent shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Channel 6 will be showing all the stuff you can currently watch on Paramount/Sky One, its a pointless channel designed to hoover up availible ad revenue, not provide a decent alternative to anything else.

Mike.

Channel 6 will be showing all the stuff you can currently watch on Paramount/Sky One, its a pointless channel designed to hoover up availible ad revenue, not provide a decent alternative to anything else.

It will have to prove itself with its Irish Output IMO

Sky One, Paramount, E4 and Sky News only get around 7% of the audience altogether. Channel Six will want to be getting at least 3% of the audience after its first year to see it as a viable commercial TV station. they could still be only getting 1% of the audience after year five.

The only good thing about it will be the fact that it cannot retransmit a British Soap because every one who can get them can get the British Soaps.

Yes the name is very unimaginative.

And CITY CHANNEL isn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Jesus lads, nice to see the criticism and slagging has already started and its not even on air yet...good one lads, good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I heard the two lads who will run the channels on the Last Word and they seemed to know what they wanted and their target audience so i wish them well.

Jesus lads, nice to see the criticism and slagging has already started and its not even on air yet...good one lads, good one!

In fairness TV3 haven't given us much hope.

Elmo wrote:
    In fairness TV3 haven't given us much hope.

Blh blah blah blah blah...always with the three bashing. Well this is nothing to do with tv3, so back to matter in hand.

always with the three bashing. Well this is nothing to do with tv3, so back to matter in hand.

Well you asked what answer did you expect. (Espically from me :D )

Micheal Murphy was part of the TV3 team.

I mean TV3 has let us down completely. IMO.

Channel Six needs to kick TV3 into gear. IMO.

TV3 needs to kick RTE in the Rear. IMO. It just hasn't happened. YET.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Funk Daddy

BCI are a joke and are typical of the Irish media industry. Compare the amount of licences the BCI have issued compared to Ofcom (formerly ITC) in the UK. Even in proportion with population, it's still ridiculously small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

OK! The plan is to have the same amount of Irish output that TG4 gives!

I'm so happy to hear i will be able to get it on Chorus Cable, not having to go to ditital!

TV3 are already stepping up for the autumn and by the sounds of it RTE have some good comedies on the way! That Des Bishop Comedy Project sounds hilarious!

Already this channel seems to be pushing the others to do something!

What's the point of this channel when most people don't have cable or digital MMDS? Digital terrestial transmission (like freeview in England) in this country is a long way off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Will Kent Brockman read the news on this new channel?

OFDM wrote:
    What's the point of this channel when most people don't have cable or digital MMDS? Digital terrestial transmission (like freeview in England) in this country is a long way off.

i wouldnt be sure of the exact numbers but it must be over a million people in this country with access to some sort of multichannel tv through cable. MMDS or Sky

Yes, more ppl have cable or ditital then dont!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

I honeslty don't think we need another 'Irish' channel showing these shows that are available on other channels already. Why not have a dedicated Irish music channel instead, it'd be something different and there's definitely a market there for it

Well TV3 tried it out for a season, its gone so i'm guessing it didnt work! TG4 have shows along that line. But Channel 6 will be showing the same (if not more) Irish output than the likes of TG4!
    Which means there will be more Irish shows on tv... this will put pressure on TV3 and co., to up their output... which they are already doing this autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Robbo wrote:
    Will Kent Brockman read the news on this new channel?

Now that would be news to watch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Nah...Tom Tucker and Diane Simmons are better! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Funk Daddy

tvnutz wrote:
    Nah...Tom Tucker and Diane Simmons are better! :D
    Agreed 100%.

"We now go live to Diane being a bitch: Diane..."

it would only work if Asian Reporter Trish Takanowa (sp?) was there

Does anyone know, when it will come on air?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

lol ye..."Im here standing outside the Port Barrington Hotel because they don't allow Asians inside". :D lol

lmao

• Advertisement

Early next year Limerick man!

Advertisement