Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the point of punk?

Options
  • 19-07-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

does punk still mean anything nowadays? i was never a real hardcore punk but have a few old albums by the likes of the crass, the circle jerks, dead kennedys sex pistols, the clash, etc and i was wondering whether the "grassroots" punk scene was in any way embarrassed by the current trend of punk being used as a vaguely depoliticised anti your parents kind of music for 13 year old girls to sing in their bedrooms?

punk was imo one of THE most important predecessors of the rave scene - the diy ethics, the anti capitalist stance, the "us vs. them" vibe... and there's an awful lot of irish bands who still keep it real - blood or whiskey, running riot etc....

does punk have a future or is it doomed to basically be sung by hand picked boy band types? boyzone with a fuzzbox a la busted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

what we need is another gg allin, bring the danger and filth back into music

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

I see this all the time :(
    It's probably time you moved onto Jazz. Punk can do nothing more for you now my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

hehehe well into jazz... have an AWFUL lot more jazz than i have punk albums, i just wanted to kind of get the points of view from a few actual genuine punks [as opposed a fair weather fellow traveller - i don't even have punk trousers!]

[as opposed a fair weather fellow traveller - i don't even have punk trousers!]

This conversation is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Punk is a mindset not a trend.

• Advertisement

Listen you. See Number 30.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'm embarassed by the sex pistols. Drug fuelled posers.

Zyox wrote:
    Listen you. See Number 30.

Eeek! LamerDots®!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Whats the point of your face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Your nose?

NotMe wrote:
    Your nose?
    Lol. He doesn't have one. I took care of that.

Using a car to break someones nose is overkill tbh.

To have something below your Jazz-Hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭skapunkkeith

punk is a lifestyle
    the music written by punks is obviously gonna be called punk music
    i hate when people say that a song is not punk when its written by punks
    alot of punk music is based on rebellion
    but punk is really whatever u want it to be
    i wonder why u asked this question with punk in mind when u could ask the same thing about metal, pop, rap or even jazz

You are so not punk.

He's not a punker either.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭skapunkkeith

Zyox wrote:
    You are so not punk.

never said i was, i listen to punk, along with other music, i used to have liberty spikes, i may wear some punk trousers, if thats what u want to call them, i dont like to put music into genres i just listen to what i like. in my mind i have led a rough life which some people call punk, i left home at thirteen for a few months and lived on the streets, and squated in houses,
    in this time i was arrested three times, one for drinking, one for graffiti, and one for taking part in a violent protest, u can say what u like but i think i have led a pretty punk life so far, but i never said i was a punk

Jazz band conductor.

With a gentle seasoning of Punker.

• Advertisement

To eat?

Seriously. Dude. Number 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Punk may be said to be less a genre than a state of mind ... or possibly a state of unwashedness. Personally I'd say it's in a state of disrepair. When I see some rip-off clothes store selling pre-"distressed" T-shirts with my beloved Clash on them for £50 I have to stop myself from vomiting up all my internal organs and choking on them. So I admit it, I'm a snob. But on the other hand I don't go around insisting that people can only call themselves punks if they've thrown bricks at the police, or lived for a year in a shoebox while selling their arse.

I don't see that you need "punk trousers" or "punk hair" to appreciate what punk-rock music has to offer. The idea of a punk "scene" is great, but not in those cases where it entails narrow-minded people who have no respect for people with other tastes in music, clothing or lifestyle.

Punk was often claimed to represent the rejection of pompous rock acts disconnected from ordinary life, yet punk bands went on to fill stadiums themselves. Also punk is hardly completely irreverent, considering the veneration given to certain bands and individuals. I know that if I had my way any Hollywood movie that gratuitously plays London Calling would be removed from circulation and all copies destroyed. Plus Ronan Keating would be parachuted into a minefield for defiling the works of the McGowan.

So maybe punk is about contradictions. The attitude saying "I don't give a shít" but the politics and the lyrics saying "I give a shít". Maybe it's about giving a shít about the things that matter most. Hopefully it's about good music.

Then again, maybe it's about the trousers. What's the point of punk? How the fúck should I know? :)

Zaphod B wrote:

So maybe punk is about contradictions. The attitude saying "I don't give a shít" but the politics and the lyrics saying "I give a shít". Maybe it's about giving a shít about the things that matter most. Hopefully it's about good music.

good synopsis :)

Listen lads, the ****in trousers are out to dry. It's the jazz hats that make it now.

RIGHT?

Where can I get a jazz hat then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

good synopsis :)

Really? Thanks, I thought I was talking bollocks :D

Don't they sell them in the punk trousers shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

D.I.D Electrical, open until nein.

• Advertisement

You need proof-of-punkerness though.

So that's ANarcho-Munk fúcked. Wannabe. GOE BACK TO CENTRAL BANK.

Advertisement