Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2005

Options
  • 10-07-2005 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

Propped up on the magazine shelf
    Looking down on you
    Like I always do

A lovely two-page spread
    Polished and unread
    Inside
    Open before you

Except you do not pick me up
    Peruse
    My fine lines
    Cracked binding

And I am left
    Closed
    Stuck together
    Perfectly untouchable
    Smiling

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

i dont quite get it but it has a nice feel and sound to it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Very neat. I'm puzzled as to why there's no punctuation though? It might help us to know when to pause and when to carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

too many "you"s. forget about the punctuation, tis better without.

it's an alright poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

thanks guys for your feedback, greatly appreciated!

le rack, it was just a simple exploration of what it would feel like to be a magazine and adding a relationship angle to it, prompted by having something published and seeing it in-store. weird, I know!

earthhorse, I felt writing it that it might need punctuation, but I was at a loss of where to put commas, periods, etc. It's not my strong point.
    Part of me feels that not putting anything is easier, and more free-flowing..but then I understand it can let people know where to pause or where you want to make a point.

raven, thanks for the compliment--high praise indeed given your strict standards!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Cool.

If it's any consolation, Percy Bysshe Shelley apparently had the same problem, with much of the punctuation being added to his poetry upon publication and often by others (editors and so forth).

If you find use of commas and fullstops too dictatorial you might consider using dashes, a la Emily Dickinson, or brackets, a la ee cummings. They might give you the pauses you are looking for without interrupting the flow of the poem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭shiv

Hey Earthhorse,
    thanks for the tips and info, I might give the dashes or brackets a go and ease myself into the punctuation arena.
    Used to do the whole slash thing years ago, but/found/it/was/just/too/choppy :)
    Thanks again

Advertisement