Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book pet hates

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

theCzar wrote:
    I hate hard back books.

if you offer me paperback or hardback at the same price, then it's paperback all the way. Hardback books are too big and too heavy. can't read them on the move, or with one hand, and when your finished it takes up loads of space.

I used to be that way but I'm after buying my third set of LOTR and am thinking that a hardcover edition is on the cards next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

grimloch wrote:
    I used to be that way but I'm after buying my third set of LOTR and am thinking that a hardcover edition is on the cards next time round.

lol, but paperback is ~1/3 the price of hardback so your only now breaking even. if you read LOTR that much that your on your third set, you'd probably be on your second hardback edition anyway.

theCzar wrote:
    lol, but paperback is ~1/3 the price of hardback so your only now breaking even. if you read LOTR that much that your on your third set, you'd probably be on your second hardback edition anyway.

That may be true. Paperback were 32 and hardback was 81, so I opted for paper. I'm going to make a much more conscious effort to look after this set now and not lose or abuse it.

Ah well. 30 or 40 euros every few years isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I'm curious as to how many times you've read LOTR? I have a paperback edition, i've read it thrice, my sister's read it once, it's still in very good nick (though the pages are pretty grubby!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I have to say that I actually really like hardback books. I don't buy them that often or anything - say if one of my favourite authors gets a new book published, I'll get the hardback.

And twice I've bought newly released hardback editions of old books that I already have in paperback.

I like the weight and the size, and the dustcover's rarely present me with any problems, althrough the botton edges of them do tend to get minutely bent or torn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

If I buy a book it has to stay looking the way it was when I bought it. No bent spine, folded pages, writing inside etc. But I do love buying secondhand books and finding a note written in the side or an inscription with the date.

theCzar wrote:
    I'm curious as to how many times you've read LOTR? I have a paperback edition, i've read it thrice, my sister's read it once, it's still in very good nick (though the pages are pretty grubby!)

Many, many times at this stage. Plus if I'm thinking about something even vaguely related to the book I'd run up and use it as a reference.

It tends to get wrecked to bits if I'm off on holidays and it gets shoved into my bag in a haphazard fashion.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Beebox wrote:
    I do love buying secondhand books and finding a note written in the side or an inscription with the date.
    I love that too! We have this really old edition of the Bible, a massive one that looks like it belongs in a church, it's full of engraved pictures and is absolutely beautiful; anyway, I was flicking through it, and sandwiched between the old and the new testament I found a load of family records! This particular copy was a wedding present to a couple in 1812, and it had the details (full name, birth weight, birth time) of the birth of each of their eight children! I think that's the most interesting thing I've found in an old book

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

grimloch wrote:
    Many, many times at this stage. Plus if I'm thinking about something even vaguely related to the book I'd run up and use it as a reference.

It tends to get wrecked to bits if I'm off on holidays and it gets shoved into my bag in a haphazard fashion.
    i think i should get a new set too....just because i prefer hard back :)
    the tolkiens works shelf needs to be enlarged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm a bit of a book abuser by some of you guys' standards - i never bend back page corners, but spines get crinkled, there'll be coffee stains and the occasional ruffled corner. But, i buy books to read them, cart them around crammed into bags and then re-read them.

But, any book lent to me receives absolute TLC, and is given back in the same condition i received it in, but that's something i consider a basic respect for other people's property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Just got a book back from a mate(gone for so long I forget I owned it!), and the spine is absolutely f*ck*d!. I don`t now what happenned to it but I think the two covers were brought back together which wrecks the spine!, ggrrrrr.
    I'm so relieved this pisses you off, I thought I was just an evil-tempered bitch :p Nearly tore my brothers head off last night just for severely creasing the spine of a book i lent him.

Advertisement