Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Northern Reg's = Mad Drivers

Options
  • 04-07-2005 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Well,

I was on my way to work Friday evening going through Knockbridge outside dundalk on my way to dundalk and a NI Reg'd Vauxhall Vectra cme flying up behind me and continued to stick to the rear arse of my car.

How close, So close i couldn't see the bonnet of the navy vectra. He continued all the way to Dundalk where i had to pull into the hard shoulder at dundalk as he continued to wave at me to tell me to get out of the way.

He had a young girl in the passenger seat and his driving didnt seem to bother him. His reg is ILZ 1293 ( I think) the gardas said they could do nothing if he lives in NI. I know this is true but anyone hear any differ?

I got a good look at him and if i ever see him again he'll have some fat lip for the rest of his life. NI c**ts, aolt of them drive nuts down here, Id luv to get a Hummer with bullbars and run them off the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Not another one :( . You do realise that southern drivers behave the same way in the north don't you?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Sorry lad but i have to disagree, i spend alot of time in the North especially around Newry and so and they still drive like crap up there as well. They drive big engine cars and think they demand more of the road.

Theres plenty of irish regs in the north as well who wont drive as stupid as those NI pricks, dont get me wrong they are drivers like that everywhere but i am sick of having to meet them on the roads and Gardas do nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kluivert wrote:
    to meet them on the roads and Gardas do nothing at all.

The Garda can do nothing, just like the PSNI cant when we drive up there, it s a two way street if you pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Next time it happens just slow down and pull in as far as you can. Leave miles of room in front and let the wanker pass. No point in getting upset because some arsehole thinks he's Eddie Irvine. Or try Ambro25's solution

I know people do drive close to other people but this lad was no more than inchs from, i like that idea of getting out and opening the boot lol...I still perfer the Hummer idea tho.

Seriously tho, i was watching that car show on BBC 2 "Car Nation" and there was one pure wanker in a Vauxhall Zafia shouting his mouth off like he was the king of the roads while giving out about other road users. I hope he watched it to see what a wanker he is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

LOL, King of the road in a Vauxhall Zafira! The man obviously has no shame! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

In your case I would either -

a. pull onto the hard shoulder a.s.a.p
    b. reduce your speed and p!&& him off even more :D

Re Irish drivers in the North
    I really doubt that the PSNI would ignore bad driving by anybody!
    At the very least they would pull you over and give you a telling off (which can often work better than issuing a ticket. And NO, I'm not talking from personal experience :D).

BTW, how is it that if you drive in the UK or on the continent, the police can issue on-the-spot fines and you have to pay up there and then ?!

..........high time such a system was in place here in the Republic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

Tail gaiting is one thing that infuriates me, but the solution is simple ... slow down gradulally to aggitate offender or pull over and let him pass. If someone is tailgating me and flashing me to get out of the way when theirs a stream of traffic infront me I'll normally hold my hand up in the 'what the **** do you me to do about it' position, which works in my experience.

I drive up and down from belfast alot and whilst nordie drivers are far far more likely to tail gate you, they will *always* have the courtesy to get out of your way if they see you coming quickly behind them. They rarely hog the overtaking lane which is something we just don't get down here.

Silvera has a good point, on the spot fines, thats grand when theres Gardas or the NI Guys but when there not about there's not much you can do.

Anyway tomorrow is another day. Your always going to get **** behind the wheel unfortunately. So long as there is more sensible ppl than not, then the roads are a bit safer to drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Silvera wrote:
    Re Irish drivers in the North
    I really doubt that the PSNI would ignore bad driving by anybody!

Got stopped doing 85mph a few years ago by a very professional and courteous officer in the North. Chat, no fine..

Of course, both PSNI and Gardai should have to power to issue on the spot fines!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

This has been beat to death here more than once. Everyones experience is their own, i find the south as bad as the north and i drive equally in both places.

Farlz

//edit

Also i know of lads getting done for dangerous driving in the north whilst in their southern cars and vice versa!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Farls wrote:
    This has been beat to death here more than once

Indeed! It would be good imho if the mods would close the thread

shakenbake wrote:
    Tail gaiting is one thing that infuriates me,

Theres a real easy way to stop tailgating on motorways and dual carriageways, STOP DRIVING 60MPH IN THE OUTSIDE LANE. I drove from Rathnew today up the N11, M11 and onto the new section of M50 and came across 20 or 30 drivers sitting in groups of 3 -7 in the outside lane every couple of miles doing anything up to 70mph and either refusing to move out of the way or being to stupid to realise what they were at. Everyone was either an elderly man or a woman. Most copped on when people started undertaking them. One particular woman (driving a 04 almera) decided to speed up from 60 to the same speed as the car in the left lane when people started undertaking her, bloody stupid cow.
    shakenbake wrote:
    If someone is tailgating me and flashing me to get out of the way when theirs a stream of traffic infront me I'll normally hold my hand up in the 'what the **** do you me to do about it' position, which works in my experience..

Aah but you and the line of traffic in front of you shouldnt be in the outside lane anyway except to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Blanket statement = completly wrong.

there are sh!te drivers everywhere,

I could say the way provisionals are dealt with in the south makes drivers in the south worst.

but i never would of course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Stekelly wrote:
    Aah but you and the line of traffic in front of you shouldnt be in the outside lane anyway except to overtake.

Why do you assume he was on the outside lane of a motorway? The vast majority of Irish roads are single carriageway and are just as prone to tailgaters.
    They are also equally prone to unreasonably slow and unpredictable drivers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The reason he was tailgaiting you was because all Northerners are either IRA or UVF and they usually have a body in their boot (or guns, or laundered money,...) and they were in a hurry to get back to Norn Iron.

(well if the OP can tar everyone, so can I!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kluivert wrote:

Seriously tho, i was watching that car show on BBC 2 "Car Nation" and there was one pure wanker in a Vauxhall Zafia shouting his mouth off like he was the king of the roads while giving out about other road users. I hope he watched it to see what a wanker he is.

A taxi driver you know! I hope he was crawling under the sofa in shame too.

Farls/Unkel, I'll leave this run a bit yet!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The bit I liked best on that program was the red haired bint in the mini complaining about how other people don't concentrate on their driving enough, and was then shown a) eating a sandwich while driving and b) grovelling in her handbag down on the floor of the car for her mobile phone when it rang. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Actually on my first "official" trip onto the road (Yeah yeah im one of those scumbag learners :D ) I was just getting some road time driving to town and back and on the way back there was a ni reg that was literally up my arse so far im sure my grankids felt it, Now I wasnt going to go breaking the speed limit ( I was 5 mph below it ) as I had passed a Squaddy on the way into town doing speed checks now this chap did the usual flashing lights the works so when i was getting near where i knew the cops were i slowed a small bit and he then proceeded to tear past me and the nice garda with a hairdryer. Kinda brought a smile to my face :)

Just so I don't seem like I'm tarring all ni drivers as looneys there is a farrr higher proportion of fncktards on the road down here.

Stekelly wrote:

How do you know I'm not overtaking in the first place? Or has all this drivel been typed before it was thought? :)

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:

I've heard that a favourite past-time of police in the south of Spain is to do as many "hoggers" as possible in a given period of time. No equipment needed, and nice revenue generation. Should try it here. That'd sort it out once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

unkel wrote:
    Of course, both PSNI and Gardai should have to power to issue on the spot fines!

The Gardaí can currently issued on-the-spot fines for :
    - Speeding
    - Not wearing seat belt
    - Overtaking on a continous white line
    - (and something else I don't recall just now).

The problem is that offending drivers are not required (unlike on the continent!) to pay there and then.
    Hence, it's often not worth while issuing tickets to wayward drivers from outside the Republic.

shakenbake wrote:
    How do you know I'm not overtaking in the first place? Or has all this drivel been typed before it was thought? :)

Because overtaking a car takes 10 - 15 seconds, hardly enough time for him to be tailgatung for very long

Have you not considered that I may be overtaking multiple slower moving vehicles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I have seen it too on my way down to Wexford on the N11. All you can do is move over and leave them to it. Hopefully you'll see them pulled in futher down the road and not flipped over in a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Don't like the generalising statement about northern regs. (Yella plate bas***s)as we used to call them. A year ago I moved just over the border but still commute to Dundalk every day. In addition I drive a yellow plate,(just recently! )but consider myself a careful driver. There are lots of southern regs which are equally as bad as the Nordies. All that said I thing tailgating is the most annoying thing on the roads and as several of ye have said, slowing right down is the best and possibly safest option to do. The only thing more annoying is that once you slow right down they whizz past you only to pull in 500 yards in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

kluivert wrote:
    Well,

ger seat and his driving didnt seem to bother him. His reg is ILZ 1293 ( I think) the gardas said they could do nothing if he lives in NI. I know this is true but anyone hear any differ?

Supposed he ended up in an accident past the Carrickdale later on that morning injuring someone else? Its important to report all types of this ignorant driving. I am not too popular with the Gardai at the Dundalk station as I frequently report anything I see like this. They consider it a nuisance and would seemingly make the roads safer by issuing speed tickets where a faster speed is perfectly doable.

In similar news m y girlf and myself were hit from behind at Carnbeg last June by a northern reg which I got as I was in the passenger seat. We got pulled in, nothing serious injured or damaged and phoned Plod. They duly arrived 25 minutes later and said that they had driven round Dundalk on the way out to see if they could spot it. Naturally they didn't but we were happy in the knowledge that we had the make model and reg plate and that justice would take its course.
    13 months on, bimonthly calls to the barracks in Dundalk, (the dealing Garda had transferred) has yielded nothing. You give them all the proper details and still they either won't or can't be arsed to do their job.

Lad i was in Dundalk last nite to get some food, driving in from the Carrick just onto the stretch into Dundalk and low and behold there's a boys n blue (Gardas) with their check point up stopping for tax and insurnance, Why because its the beginning of the month.

So i get stopped, am braking i up the window down as i come to a stand still the young man says "thats alright" after taking a quick look at the window screen.

I was mad in a sense because if i wasnt taxed they would come down on you like. But dare give out to them for not pullin up their socks and getting on with their jobs. I was really going to the young man what good are you doing standing here, if they took there unmarked cars which they have plenty of of driving around the country side they make more in revenue that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

kluivert wrote:
    a NI Reg'd Vauxhall Vectra cme flying up behind me and continued to stick to the rear arse of my car. QUOTE]

The Northern Ireland reg is only a minor factor in this case.
    I'll go out on a limb and dare to say that Vectra drivers are
    all pure scum.

In the North, Vectras seem to be predominantly driven by dodgy
    looking thickos in their 30's who probably have neither license
    nor insurance.

The same applies to young men in 1990s Rover 400s from the north.
    Their driving truely stinks.

• Advertisement

el tel wrote:

In the North, Vectras seem to be predominantly driven by dodgy
    looking thickos in their 30's who probably have neither license
    nor insurance.
    Chances are that most Vectras are driven by sales reps in their 30's who definitely have licence and insurance.

Advertisement