Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blueface Hardware

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I read similar reviews, but the problem seems to be more related to the vonage service rather than the linksys router. I got one of the WRT54GP2 routers and so far, so good. Set up was a piece of cake. Blueface had already pre-programmed it with my user information. I dropped it into my network in place of a Buffalo Wifi router and voila I was up and running.
    Quality so far has been great, no complaints.

Same here, it arrived Thurday, fully configured, just replaced the existing router and Sipura 2100 and every thing was oxo.

gerard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Forgive my newbie caution, but have I got this right:

I have an NTL broadband modem connected by ethernet to one pc with zonealarm.
    I have an ethernet hub with no security which is disconnected since the broadband is now coming in on the ethernet rather than the old dial-up modem, but I need to get the network back up.

If I buy the Freedom Basic from Blueface with the Linksys WRT54GP2,
    I just connect as follows:
    -> NTL broadband modem via ethernet to the router
    -> PC network hub via ethernet to router
    -> Internal telephone network to router via traditional telephone cable
    (I don't have any wireless gear yet, but may add some later)

Once I've configured the devices I'll have:
    -> Firewalled broadband for the PC network
    -> VoIP account with Blueface that operates through my traditional phones

Do I need any other kit, or is the setup above ok and will make the eircom phone line superfluous (the mobile will do for emergency calls during a power outage)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm very tired so I'll try to explain this.

NTL -> Router/ATA via ethernet (cat 5)
    Normal phone -> ATA via phone cable
    Switch/hub (if you like) - > Router/ATA via cat 5
    computer switch/hub or Router/ATA via cat 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I've been giving this serious consideration for the last couple of months and have found a wireless BB provider in my area.

There's some question I've not seen asked yet.

The provider I've chosen has a D/L cap of 10GB on their cheaper product at about 35 quid and 20 GB on their 48 euro offering.

Which would be better suited to a VoIP setup with internet usage of around 5GB per month?
    Is 5GB enough for a normal usage home VoIP phone in other words ?

What bandwitdth does a call take up and is it controllable i.e. can I configure it to use say 32Kbps or is it fixed and at what rate?

QOS has been mentioned elsewhere, how effective is this ?

Blueface.ie seem to have the best package at 15.99 per month Ireland & UK calls compared to some of the others at 19.99 p/m for just Ireland calls. Is there a catch ?
    Their T&Cs mention a minimum call charge of 0.2cent: I presume thats for pay as you go type subscribers only ?

Using standard analogue phones into ATA's - is the phone powered from this?
    Does the user hear a standard dial tone or something else ?

Is it possible to keep your existing Eircom number as your VoIP phone number?

Would a cheap 500W UPS serve as a decent backup for the VoIP ATAs and BB Router do you think ?

Sorry if some of these are obvious but they may help clear up some issues for others too.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

VOIP doesn't use much bandwidth, I'm too tired to work it out now, it was posted before (aksed by me). I think it uses 87.5 kbps with about a 30% saving for silent momnets. I think if you use it 24 hours perday for a month solid it comes to about 24GB but I am too tired to try to work it out.

Blueface are extremely good, best phone company I have had. You can get your eircom number ported and get an 076 number. Word of warning if you are with an Eircom reseller (BT/UTV/etc.) get your calls and line rental moved back to Eircom now. They use this to hold on to people a bit longer if you try to port your number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

democrates wrote:
    Forgive my newbie caution, but have I got this right:

I have an NTL broadband modem connected by ethernet to one pc with zonealarm.
    I have an ethernet hub with no security which is disconnected since the broadband is now coming in on the ethernet rather than the old dial-up modem, but I need to get the network back up.

If I buy the Freedom Basic from Blueface with the Linksys WRT54GP2,
    I just connect as follows:
    -> NTL broadband modem via ethernet to the router
    -> PC network hub via ethernet to router
    -> Internal telephone network to router via traditional telephone cable
    (I don't have any wireless gear yet, but may add some later)

Once I've configured the devices I'll have:
    -> Firewalled broadband for the PC network
    -> VoIP account with Blueface that operates through my traditional phones

Do I need any other kit, or is the setup above ok and will make the eircom phone line superfluous (the mobile will do for emergency calls during a power outage)?
    The WRT54GP2 has a builtin router with 3 ethernet ports (RJ45); it also has two phone ports (RJ11); it also has wireless capability (802.11G+B).
    Unless you need more than 3 wired (RJ45) devices connected to the router then there is no need for the hub; although it can be connected in the manner you specified to add more ports. The WRT54GP2 can serve up to 253 internal IP addresses.

The WRT54GP2 has SPI firewall, and NAT, and the other usual features DHCP, UPnP, VPN passthrough, WPA, WEP etc. You'll need NAT to share your one IP address amongst many netwrok devices, and DHCP is quite handy for assigning those local IP addresses automagically.
    The RJ11 ports will take a traditional DTMF (but not pulse) phone. The most popular choice is to use a wireless DECT basestation plugged into the router, with multiple handsets located where required.

The only other kit you might need (if you don't already have it) is network adaptors for each device you want to network - be they wireline or wireless.
    As for emergency calls during a power outage - you could also deploy a UPS to power your modem, router, dect base-station in the event of a localised power outage. But I'd be curious to know if the NTL network (or the cellular network) is independently powered, or has independent power backup - from the normal ESB network.

hth,
    causal

causal wrote:
    But I'd be curious to know if the NTL network (or the cellular network) is independently powered, or has independent power backup - from the normal ESB network.

Don't think so, there was a major power outage in Galway this week, in the newcastle area.

When the power in Newcastle went at 17:00hrs, the NTL (TV & BB) went out in most of the west side of Galway, even in area which still had power.

We later lost power (from 18:30hrs until 20:30hrs) but NTL did not come back until after 23:30hrs, which is when the power was restored to Newcastle.

ZENER wrote:
    Is 5GB enough for a normal usage home VoIP phone in other words ?
    Taking a rate of 80kbps for a call = 10kBps
    5GB / 10kB = 500,000seconds = 139 hours talking per month.

What bandwitdth does a call take up and is it controllable i.e. can I configure it to use say 32Kbps or is it fixed and at what rate?
    As above and can be configured for less (but lower quality), in practical terms it's not an issue.
    QOS has been mentioned elsewhere, how effective is this ?
    Great on your own network, but once you hit the internet it can't be guaranteed. A small voice in my head is saying something about IPv6 having 'prioritisation' capability but I can't recall .
    Using standard analogue phones into ATA's - is the phone powered from this?
    A standard phone yes, but not a dect basestation or telephones with additional power requirements - but they're typically supplied with their own mains power adapter.
    Does the user hear a standard dial tone or something else ?
    I hear a dialtone like you get on hotel phones, more of a birrrr, than a beeee. Grandstream made available a tool to convert mp3, and wav sound files into ringtones for their IP phones.
    Is it possible to keep your existing Eircom number as your VoIP phone number?
    Yes, and you can get an 076 numbers too (076 are thenon-geographic VoIP numbers, that nationally are charged at local rates).
    Would a cheap 500W UPS serve as a decent backup for the VoIP ATAs and BB Router do you think ?
    Your modem also requires power, and as Gerards post clarifies your ISP network requires power too - so if it's local you might be ok, but if it hits your providers power then :(
    fwiw the WRT54GP2 power adapter can supply 12V at 1A, then have peek at this article and get your calculator out ;)

hth,
    causal

Thanks paulm and causal, looking forward to this blueface gig big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

causal wrote:
    But I'd be curious to know if the NTL network (or the cellular network) is independently powered, or has independent power backup - from the normal ESB network.

hth,
    causal

Cellular base stations have a battery back up that last anything from 2-24 hours depending on the load & bank size on the particular site.

• Advertisement

Cellular base stations in telephone exchanges have the telephone exchanges emergency supply to draw upon. In the first case this is a bank of lead-acid batteries producing 50v dc for the switch as well as mains via an inverter, then there's a diesel generator which kicks in, I think they're all automatic now and don't require a call-out.

As for NTL, I wonder do they take a local mains feed, or have they their own power supply out to their local 75 ohm break-out boxes? It seems it would be a good idea to run their own power out, and if this could be integrated to the 75-ohm coax to the home, enough to power a voip adapter and a handset, emergency call problem solved. Or what about batteries?

In fact if they're serious about replacing PSTN they could do worse than look into this issue, I'm sure the cable broadband industry as a whole could come up with some standards.

air wrote:
    Cellular base stations have a battery back up that last anything from 2-24 hours depending on the load & bank size on the particular site.

Also a few times in Dublin, when i lived in Raheny, a power cut in the Killester area would take out the NTL, even if we had power in Raheny.

This was pre-BB eara now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Also a few times in Dublin, when i lived in Raheny, a power cut in the Killester area would take out the NTL, even if we had power in Raheny.

This was pre-BB eara now.

Same happened to me last week, the electricity went in the Old Bawn area and the NTL TV and Internet was gone in my area (Aylesbury), is about the 3rd time the internet goes in 3 years.

Here's my proposed network
    Does this look ok?

That would work fine.
    However, if the physical wiring facilitates it, I'd be inclinded to plug your two most active connections directly into the WRT54GP2 - the third port being used for your hub (just to reduce traffic, number of hops, ping time, etc.)
    Then plug your two least active connections into the hub - so you may not need the hub on 24/7.
    Again, depending on the physical location of your network devices this may or may not suit.

causal

Spot on causal, I'll do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

causal wrote:

The 486 (which I have) wouldn't be my choice if I was buying now.
    Give more details about your setup and requirements and you should get some specific advice.

I'm looking at getting ATA and using either Blueface or Broadtalk as my VOIP provider.

Why would you not now go for the Grandstream ?

shabbyroad wrote:
    I'm looking at getting ATA and using either Blueface or Broadtalk as my VOIP provider.

Why would you not now go for the Grandstream ?
    Because now there are devices better suited to my requirements than were available at the time I bought the Grandstream. I can't really fault it for what it does, but ATA's now can come with two VoIP ports and plenty of configuration options that the Grandstream simply doesn't have.

But which device to get is determined by your particular requirements and current setup.

causal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

causal wrote:
    Because now there are devices better suited to my requirements

Agreed, best to review what kind of setup would work best for you,
    If I was getting equipment all over again I'd get the Linksys ATA/Wireless/Router as it would save space and plugs in my already plug limited sitting room :(

I'll propably sell my ATA soon,

Makes sense. I'll have a look at what is out there.

I notice that the better Sipura ATAs support 2 independent lines while the Grandstream ATAs don't.

I see how this would be useful - one line for the office and another for the kids phone (so they can take incoming calls and make landline calls without tying up our home and business lines... and I can block calls to mobiles on that line).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

If you're worried about power outages why not keep an old mobile charging 24/7 - you don't even need a sim to make emergency calls.

Just for those who may not know:
    112 - is the number for these emergency calls (not 999)

e.g. even a mobile which has a SIM with a password - when it asks for the SIM password if you type in 112 - it'll let you make the call.
    Also, even with the keylock on - if you type in 112 - it'll let you make the call.

No harm trying dialling it (obviously don't make the actual call) just to be familiar with the number popping up and the option(s) provided, so in the event you need it you're prepared.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

shabbyroad wrote:
    I notice that the better Sipura ATAs support 2 independent lines while the Grandstream ATAs don't.

If by "2 independent lines" you mean FXS ports then both the Grandstream 386 and 496 have 2 FXS ports. Also for people on ADSL broadband who want to keep their existing analogue line then an ATA might be more suitable than an all-in-one it it's combined with a QOS-enabled router.

If having two FXS ports means that I can have a provider give me two discrete phone numbers/accounts and I can operate them on a single ATA then yes, that's what I'm looking for.

I'm only keeping my existing analogue line because I'm being forced into paying line rental in order to have broadband. but since we need a second phone line in the home office (and my employer pays for my broadband) then I'm happy enough , for now, to keep it.
    If at some point in the future I can get a second VOIP phone number I'd like to do that without having to get a new or second ATA. Would like to let the kids have a phone line so that our business and home phones aren't tied up with their yakking (plus because I'll admin the ATA it'll give me a bunch more control than with an ordinary analogue line)

Advertisement