Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earn money just leaving computer on!

Options
  • 28-06-2005 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Referral crap removed.

-nesf

Have a nice day :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

oh ok - where do I sign up again?
    SPAMMING MUPPET!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gillzer

Hey its working for me, dont sign up if u dont want money for nothin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

is it not an instant site wide ban for posting referral crap?

Dont know, im new here, but it aint crap (I hope).
    Just trying to share the wealth people!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

oh dear :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

feel free to post this crap after you get some money and have some proof.
    theres no point annoying the rest of the internet with the same shiite thats been going on since day 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Not only will you make money, but you will also add inches in just days!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fionn_McCool

sounds pretty sweet man.

just one question, are you paid by cheque to the address you put in when you sign up??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

mmmm i liek spamm

Fair enough, point taken. If i get some money out of it (which im startin to doubt now!) ill let ye all now. Ive never signed up for anything like this before cause they always promise the world in return for just $39.95, but since this was free i said i give i'd it a shot, and have been starting to believe it watching the money tick up. Apologies for my newbieness!

• Advertisement

"just one question, are you paid by cheque to the address you put in when you sign up??"

I think so (and hope so). The respose here has me doubting the whole thing slightly now, but i'm going to stick at it as it seems to be working. Surely there wouldnt be such independent interest if it didnt pay out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

sounds like a load of ^$%^& to me. Nothing is free. Supposing they are paying people to do this, wheres the money coming from? They can't afford to pay out €10 per person per day unless they are recieving more than €10 for every person who uses the program every day.

Also, the only sites i've found so far list that exact text. I havn't seen ANYONE posting to say they actually recieved money. Not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

so your pc can be used a as a zombie and send buckett loads of spam :mad:

ban him promoting shlte

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Please note that that spiel he gave at the beginning seems to be a standard one they hand out http://www.b2g3.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1118154066&user=cuconservatives

Affiliate marketing is verboten here. Please spam elsewhere.

Anyway; it's obviously a scam; no-one's going to pay that much for improved Alexa ranking (which is approximately worthless anyway).

The way I understand it (and my knowledge on ecommerce stuff is not great) is that smaller less well known search engines (the 20 in this program) pay ppcappraisal.com to sign up people to use this program all day.

This is because the program clicks onto there site 1500 times during the day, allowing the site to move up the Alexa (www.alexa.com measures traffic rankings - yahoo.com being at the top) rankings and compete with the big boys such as Google and Yahoo.

This seems to make sense to me, and that is why i believe this is legitimate.

Again, apologies for "spamming". I thought that I had found a genuine way of making money on the internet for doing little or nothing and decided to share it (and of course increase my own earnings in the process).

rsynnott wrote:
    Please note that that spiel he gave at the beginning seems to be a standard one they hand out http://www.b2g3.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1118154066&user=cuconservatives

I already pointed that out:

Gillzer wrote:
    [As you can guess I'm copying and pasting what I've read and used and putting in my own bits.

Gillzer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

i just don't trust it to be honest but good luck with it -

might decomplie the test33.EXE to see what is happening really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Do it for me and then when the cheque comes in take 10% and send the rest on to me.

Gillzer wrote:
    Again, apologies for "spamming". I thought that I had found a genuine way of making money on the internet for doing little or nothing and decided to share it (and of course increase my own earnings in the process).

Yes, this is the problem, you see. How many pyramid schemes have you participated in? Probably none. Yet you're willing to believe that the Internet will give you free money. Hmm.

Yes, theoretically you could raise your Alexa rating by doing this (however, it's against Amazon's terms of service for that service, and no doubt, if they're interested, they'll be able to set up countermeasures.) However, what they fail to explain to you there is that a high Alexa rating is of no use to anyone, and does not accurately reflect the real-world popularity of a site. The only use of an Alexa rating that I can think of it is that one or two smaller advertising companies do use it as one criteria, among many others. This is getting rarer nowadays.

Of course, you're being very trusting assuming that it's doing what you think it's doing. You may be spamming the world, hosting a phishing site, providing space and bandwidth for the distribution of illegal material, providing the company with your credit card numbers... the possiblities are boundless.

Most likely tho, it's just an Alexa spammer that'll never pay. It's a new one, tho; no pagerank and no backlinks in Google. Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It most likely clicks on adverts to up rates on advert payments. Kind of dishonest, otherwise its a mail spam gateway.

• Advertisement

Ah, it could of course just be a way to get the email addresses of gullible people, so that the "Lose Weight while you eat vats of lard" and "Enlarge your penis over 20 feet" ads can flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Seems like a pyramid spam to me.

The only place that this type of stuff is allowed to be talked about on boards afaik is the BEF forum. Some time ago I remember a greenzap thread being allowed as a possible thread for the BEF (Investements/Markets/Money) forum. If I understood wrongly nesf, my apologies.

Original Poster, unless nesf, the mod of Investments/Market/Money says otherwise - the only place you can talk about possible money making schemes is on the IMM board. This goes for any schemes that need referrers. Personally I'd suggest you don't get into this but the IMM forum can hopefully show you with more clarity the in depth nitty grittys of such schemes.

If this is in fact a sort of spam mail scheme then you will be banned fwiw OP. We don't like spam on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gordon wrote:
    If I understood wrongly nesf, my apologies.

No it's absolutely fine mate.

Now who on here wants to be the first to rip this apart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭TheLedge

To Quote the Simpsons: "It's not a pyramid Scheme, It's more of a Trapezoid!" :D

TheLedge wrote:
    To Quote the Simpsons: "It's not a pyramid Scheme, It's more of a Trapezoid!" :D

Actually, if I recall correctly:

"Forget about old style pyramid schemes. Our model is the Trapazoid!"
    *police sirens outside*

(I haven't seen the episode in years so I may be wrong. But that line was in my head when I saw this thread earlier....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i whole heartidly endorse this product and\or service.
    I've about 5 p.c. here at work i could sign up to this scheme 24/7, thats $75 a day!
    I'm going to be RICH!!!
    woot!!

Basically my thinking is this:

1) Money for nothing is a falacy. You're going to be giving them something. Most likely information on you or something. Or as Hobbes suggested it might be doing ad-clicks. This also isn't good.

2) Any kind of software like this just screams spyware to me. Meh, I may just be paranoid though.

3) Specific search engines to use? Eh no. If I'm searching, I prefer not to be pointed in directions that suit marketing companies.

4) I have issues with tracking cookies. This is much worse imo.

The only times I'd even consider this would be on a machine that would never be used for anything but random surfing. IE one that would never have passwords entered etc.

I'm tempted to just delete this, but I'll leave it open until tomorrow to see if anyone can persuade me on this. Or offer solid arguments for it.

nesf wrote:

The only times I'd even consider this would be on a machine that would never be used for anything but random surfing. IE one that would never have passwords entered etc.

Even then, you shouldn't consider it; it could still be doing a wide array of illegal things.

rsynnott wrote:
    Even then, you shouldn't consider it; it could still be doing a wide array of illegal things.

I agree.

Hmmm, I'm tempted to lock this, but I think I'm going to leave it open so people can discuss this. It seems very clear cut to me.

Don't do it. If you have done it, stop. Or if you know someone doing it, advise them to stop.

Anyone got more to add?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

nesf wrote:
    Anyone got more to add?
    I don't think this make money referral ****e has any place on boards (sorry, but you did ask and obviously it's my ordinary user opinion). Allow one and it's a precedent for every second person to post up their own clicky clicky join using my code and I'll make a lorra lorra lolly with the large number of users who might use my referral link to sign up. Plus it's very likely to be a scam and I reckon we could do without facilitating commercial gains for either where there's no kickback for the site and possibly not even if there was. 'Apologies for "spamming"' wouldn't cut any mustard with me either - this kind of thing is generally posted mainly or solely for the possible kickback for the original poster. And if it's not in the case of the original poster here, not that this lack of intention can be proved anyway, it's still crass spam that we could all do without.

That's my tuppence. I'd nuke the links, dump the thread and think about a temp (or longer) slapping for the poster (or at least a nice warning) if it happened in my specific local area. It's been left as your call at some point as far as I can judge but I can't think of a single reason why you wouldn't want to do at least the first two and at least consider the third. I mightn't have a problem with referral links where there's no monetary gain to the person posting them or to anyone else but this stuff isn't even liked or desired on Usenet. Incidentally, I'm not in any way questioning your modding decision, just (as I mentioned above) tossing in my view (as almost requested) as a regular joe, admittedly a regular joe who reckons spam is best when it remains in a sealed can.

Advertisement