Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms very likely Tuesday evening and wenesday

Options
  • 27-06-2005 7:23pm

Thunderstorms and heavy rain with local down pours,localised flash flooding and Hail are all very possible as a thundery system sweeps North across the country from tomorrow afternoon starting in Munster and South Leinster.

If you like it and you're lucky you could well see a lot of forked lightning -all the ingredients are there for a fun filled and loud display :D

(I actually wouldnt mind this-theres nothing like a good summer thunderstorm! as long as everyone stays safe-but knowing my luck the worst of this might run up through wales instead-keep an eye out anyway)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Yeah, the south and east coasts could be fine spots to watch any approaching storms - Howth Summit will be a prime spot to watch them come, if they do of course. Evelyn was in ramp mode after the nine o'clock news - she had lightning symbols all over the shop. I think she was getting turned on more and more everytime she said the work thunder or lightning or hail. "Biscay Storms" as she calls them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Things are just exploding off the French West coast :eek: :D:D

The severe Thunder system will push north over the night and during
    the morning! Weather models find it expesxially difficult to deal with
    these almost tropical situations but this could turn out to be a
    beasty tropical-esk storm!

Clod heights are just exploding as i speak.. Some talk of exteme
    storms tomorrow afternoon with cloud tops at extrodinary heights :D

Ferocious amount of lightning to the west of wales and due south of Ireland.
    It looks like its going to head into East Cork Waterford Kilkenny Carlow and Wexford if it maintains present course.

Lot of sferics showing now down along the south coast and up into south wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Weathercheck, it says on your website in the news section:
    An extreme thunder storm system is currently explosively forming over
    the bay of Biscay as Irelands' run of good weather finally comes to an electrified end. The system will continue to explode overnight and through tomorrow as cloud tops reach staggering heights.The storms will arrive in souther Ireland from midday and will push north to affect much of Munster and Leinster through the day. Some tornadoes, golf-ball sized hail and severe thunderstorm will affect this region with a possibly dangerous situation.

This true or a bit or truth with a lot of exaggeration?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Carlow? Storm?

excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm meant to be playing golf in Carlow this evening but don't fancy standing out with a 5 iron waiting to be struck, what time you guys reckon this will "strike" Carlow at?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

What a load of pants. Some heavy rain and a bit of thunder & lightening I'll bet.
    Everybody loves a crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Irishswede

Are we exagerating here, Honesly has anyone seen the storm yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Irishswede wrote:
    3EF_PS_0.GIF

The pink and the red mean heavy and very heavy rainfall.

More pics here: http://www.net-weather.co.uk/index.cgi?action=charts;type=nwsat

• Advertisement

No exaggeration-I've been hearing some distant low rumbling for the last while in S wicklow,the sky is very dark and theres some lovely mamatuus clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Irishswede wrote:

Some very heavy rainfall in Waterford, but thats about it. No CG or thunder. Seems to be moving slowly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

from the looks of those maps, I think maybe just Wexford and south Wicklow will get any of the fun as the majority of the showers will pass into the Irish sea and on into england, I cant see many up in the northern half of the country seeing anything more than just a few rain showers with perhaps a clap of thunder. Sky news just gave 'thundery showers' which would suggest that.

Heres the Taf from Dublin airport where they are indicating tempo TSRA which is a likelyhood of thunderstorms from late afternoon onwards there.
    EIDW 281200Z 281322 05010KT 9999 FEW005 SCT020 BECMG 1618 7000 BR SCT005 BKN010 TEMPO 1822 4000 SHRA BKN005 BKN018CB PROB30 TEMPO 1822 1200 TSRA BKN002 BKN018CB =

The radar is indicating some very heavy rainfall in an arc to the south of wexford which looks like its going to head up the East coast and well inland including carlow in the next several hours.
    It's very slow moving but it has a lot of electrical activity on it according to the lightning detectors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I better head to the auctioneers sooner rather than later so.. cool

Some really intense CG off the south coast of ireland and it's also firing up off the coast of cornwall for the past 20 mins or so, no sign of it moving northward just yet.

From Met Eireann's website
    Warm today, with spells of hazy sunshine in most places for a time. But a spell of heavy and thundery rain on the South Coast this morning, will push northwards this afternoon, to affect the Southern half of the Country by early evening. Some local spot flooding is likely, but it should stay dry elsewhere. Top temperatures 18 to 23 C in a freshening northeasterly breeze .

An extreme thunder storm system is currently explosively forming over the bay of Biscay as Irelands' run of good weather finally comes to anelectrified end. The system will continue to explode overnight and
    through tomorrow as cloud tops reach staggering heights.The storms will arrive in souther Ireland from midday and will push north to affect much of Munster and Leinster through the day. Some tornadoes, golf-ball sized hail and severe thunderstorm will affect this region with a possibly dangerous
    situation.

"Warm today, spells of hazy sunshine and a spell of heavy and thundery rain"
    COMPARED TO
    "Some tornadoes, golf-ball sized hail and severe thunderstorm" Is an exaggeration in anybody's book! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Well, Weathercheck occasionally likes to err on the optimistic side ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭mike2084

Hi all, I hate thunderstorms they frighten the life out of me. Am I out of the firing line in North Kerry? It's cloudy here but still quite bright and no rain. According to metcheck my CAPE and Lifted Index values don't suggest storms in my area. Would someone more qualified look at the Kerry values on this link. Thanks in advance.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/stormwatch.asp

Darwin wrote:
    Well, Weathercheck occasionally likes to err on the optimistic side ;)

Yeah I love a good thunderstorm myself but Weathercheck does seem to get quite err.. excited?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Im in Bray at the moment and its lovely and sunny here. A little hazy but its nice.

Im in Bray at the moment and its lovely and sunny here. A little hazy but its nice.

Thats the way it was here in the south of the county 'till about one
    We've had no rain here yet bar a couple of drops in the breeze.
    The progression of this system is very very slow.
    Very black due south of me now and lots of sferics off East Wexford due south of me.

I can hear no thunder, though I did hear low rumbles outside earlier.

LoL @ weathercheck-he does get carried away :D

But actually Ronaldsway (isle of man) and Valley in N wales are both according to their taf's expecting hail. So I wouldnt rule that out.
    Whats coming up now by the way is mostly an imported storm with its origins down off portugal-it's losing rather than gaining energy all the while as it moves north-the lightning activity on it is not as present as earlier.
    Thats not to say that it wont pep up this evening though.

Pretty calm here now, but the english channel has exploded in the past hour, over 3700 strikes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

those comments on weatherchecks website are not as exaggerated, fantasy-driven as the ones he does in the winter time when the temperature dips below 6c:D

Im not a great fan of thunderstorms and thankfully today the weather is nice and mild with plenty of hazy sunshine, about 19c. But we could so with some rain, I cant remember seeing proper rain in about 5 or 6 weeks.

It's as dark as night here now ,trying to rain and there are low distant rumbles.
    The sky looks amazing,its dark grey with a hint of pink and very dark to my south down into co wexford.

As regards whats going to happen,I'm still fairly confident that theres a good probability things will spark off through this evening and overnight up through a lot of Leinster and along the East coast-it will be hit and miss though.

looking at the lightning detector map it looks like all that lightning around the south and south east coast of ireland died a death and all the lightning is now concentrated around the southamton area of southern england. Perhaps more lightning will may happen for us later on.

heavy rain lightning and thunder here now!!!!

pc off-back later

Just back in time :D Electrcity was off till now!

Things are looking spectacular .

A line of severe thnderstorms are heading up the Irish sea
    and with a few thunderstorms ahead of them.
    (these are affecting Earthman now)
    http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0%E2%8C%A9=en

At the moment these storms are showing a 32-40 strike rate p/m
    with radar indicating heavy large hail at their centre.

Cloud tops are reaching staggering levels and for once Eastern
    Ireland will feel the brunt of the storms..

More posts to come just getting myself comfy :D;)

http://www.metoffice.com/satpics/latest_uk_ir.jpg

This shows things well. Brightest whites = Highest Clouds = Beastest storms

The storms are winding together into an organised system and heading north :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Im in Waterford working till 12 midnight. Then heading home for Wexford. I want to see these storms in action. Will I miss them? Thunderstorms are my favourite type of weather :D

Advertisement