Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

indicator stalk left or right ?

Options
  • 23-06-2005 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be no absolute norm for RHD cars. Some have the indicator switch left of the steering wheel, some have it on the right.

Personally I think it should always be on the RIGHT, as your right hand is mostly idle driving the car, giving you a far better chance to indicate at the appropriate times, whereas your left might be busy shifting gear/ releasing handbrake etc.

My current car has the indicator on the right and I get really annoyed when I'm driving something else with the indicator on the ergonomically wrong side.

Which do you prefer?

Which side should the indicator be located on? 45 votes

left
    4% 2 votes
    right
    60% 27 votes
    indicator?? wha?
    35% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

is this not something to do with the car originally being designed LHD or RHD , e.g. all japaneese cars the indicators are on the right, european, left?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Mine is on the left....can't say I really have a preference as to which side it's located.
    I know it differs on Japanese cars as opposed to European cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

This drives me absolutely nuts. My wife's car has the indicator on the left, mine is on the right. We regularly drive each other's car to even out the mileage between them, so indicating or using the wipers always requires a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My Mazda has them on the right, and my Mams mazda has them on the left, I am fairly sure of that, but I'll have to double check at the w/e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

For me the left is better. Ambidexterous so it makes no difference. Drive a Xsara picasso and its on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't most Japanese cars have them on the left these days? Or is it just the Japanese cars that are built outside of Japan? Imported ones are on the right

Peasant hit the nail on the head. Non-Japanese mainstream cars are LHD originally, so the hand needed for the gear changes is the right hand. Leaves the left hand for the indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Mines on the left too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Genghis

Whichever side they are on is it always "clockwise" (i.e. "down" if on right or "up" if on left) for indicating right and "anti-clockwise" for turning left. AFAIK it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

In Australia, the stalk is on the right too. Then again they also ban LHD cars. You want to import an American truck in Aussie? You pay to get it converted - full stop.

Sweden drove on the right until 1967, but all their cars were LHD - even British models. Until recently, Japanese car buyers would pay a premium for LHD on foreign cars (even British ones) because they thought it added prestige. Impracticality, more like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I presume the last option on the poll is for BMW drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

could you explain the question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In Australia, the stalk is on the right. Then again they also ban LHD cars. You want to import an American truck in Aussie? You pay to get it converted - full stop.

Thats cos countries that use lhd are evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

hmm I had a Jap import sunny: Right
    VW passat: left

• Registered Users Posts: 51,180 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most large volume Jap cars have them on the right hand side since the late 1990s. I had a 1997 Avensis and they were on the right hand side.

QUOTE: Whichever side they are on is it always "clockwise" (i.e. "down" if on right or "up" if on left) for indicating right and "anti-clockwise" for turning left. AFAIK it is. :QUOTE

Opel have a very confusing system on their new Vectra and Astra. Often seen people indicating left and going right. GM obviously never heard of the words "If it ain't broke then don't fix it".

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Jap cars built in Japan = indicator stalk on right
    Jap cars built outside of Japan (RHD ones) = indicator stalk on left.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My Fiesta has the indicator stalk on the left, I'd prefer it on the right, like the way it is in my ma's corsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

DukeDredd wrote:
    Jap cars built in Japan = indicator stalk on right
    Jap cars built outside of Japan (RHD ones) = indicator stalk on left.

That would explain my earlier post.
    My car is a Jap import, but the mothers is Irish-Japanese-American!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I am in india at the moment so its defeniatly indicator?? wha?....

haven't seen one in use since I got here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Saving money, that's all it is.

Most cars get designed for LHD, where the indicator is left, where it belongs ergonomically.
    The steering wheel column with the stalks attached is usually a separate assembly and just gets bolted on on to the right in RHD cars, without bothering to swap the switches and cables around (which would cost a few bob extra).

If your indicator is on the left, take note how many times (in busy traffic / roundabouts) you get into conflict between having to shift gear or indicate / switch indicator off ...you can't do both and something (usually the indicator) has to fall short.

If your indicator is on the right, you can shift away and still flick the indicator with a finger of your right hand which stays on the steering wheel all the time.

Personally, I'd like to see regulation FORCING manufacturers to put the indicator on the right in RHD cars. I actually think it is a safety issue, not just a matter of convenience or "getting used to"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In my car history all but 2 have been on the left, the two on the right are a Isuzu and my Merc. I drive a van which has the winky/lights on the left so I have been known to wipe the screen rather than flash a driver!

Damned confusing :o

I now prefere right side stalk.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I learned to drive on LHD cars where the indicator is always on the left. I was shocked to find that this was not standardised on RHD cars.

Ergonomically, it should be on the right, for the very same reasons it is on the left on LHD cars. But I'm happy enough that my car has it on the left, since it's what I'm used to.

It's not true that RHD cars made in Japan have the indicator on the right, though. Mine was made in Japan and has it on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I personally haven't driven any car, regardless of where it came from, in the last 30 years or so (and that's quite a few!) that still had the indicator stalk on the right. I thought that had gone out with the ark?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

peasant wrote:
    Personally I think it should always be on the RIGHT, as your right hand is mostly idle driving the car, giving you a far better chance to indicate at the appropriate times, whereas your left might be busy shifting gear/ releasing handbrake etc.

Doesnt really matter which side the damn indicator is on!

Ok you right hand is mostly idle!
    But if you passed your driving test you should know that you check your mirrors, then signal your intention before you do anything else

Check your mirrors.....turn on the indicator (on the left or rights side of the steering column)....downshift the gears.....turn the wheel and make the turn...straighten car up and if indicator is still on....then knock it off!

Cant think of anytime that id be putting on my indicator and simultaniously releasing the handbrake!!

Oh.....unless you were being very courteous when robbing a bank! :D

Moral of the above post...........doesnt matter!

Although it is fustrating driving a different car or a new car and the wipers come one for the indicator!
    Hey Guard........didnt you see my signal.....my wipers signaled my intetion...jezz guard :rolleyes: !!....... :D

But maybe it would help if there was an international standard for what side the indicator or wipers should be on!

But TBH.....doesnt make much of a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

peasant wrote:
    If your indicator is on the left, take note how many times (in busy traffic / roundabouts) you get into conflict between having to shift gear or indicate / switch indicator off ...you can't do both and something (usually the indicator) has to fall short.
    tbh that never happens me.
    The indicator can easily be flicked on(if turning left)/off(if turning right) by the left hand as it's moving off the steering wheel down to the gearknob; or flicked on(if turning right)/off(if turning left) as the left hand returns from the gearknob to the steering wheel (which is why I prefer the indicator stalk on the left).

btw your indicators should automatically cancel when the steering wheel straightens up - maybe the little tab in the steering column is broken?

Not to be smart - but do you steer properly? i.e. hands in the correct position "ten to two", and use the proper push-pull steering wheel technique.
    It is by far the most efficient steering technique (unless you're into powersliding while steering with your thumb @ 6o'clock and your other hand at 12o'clock)

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

peasant wrote:
    Saving money, that's all it is.

If your indicator is on the right, you can shift away and still flick the indicator with a finger of your right hand which stays on the steering wheel all the time.

Bingo-there you go.
    All my vehicles here, man and auto have the ind on the Left.

So long as it is opposite side of the wheel from the gearstick, it is OK.

But like the brake booster on the left, pedal on teh right scenario, some manufacturs do not think of designing for both hands.

bts, anyone know what the column layout of a RHD Chrysler minivan, which is similar in EU-LHD and the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Not to be smart - but do you steer properly?

Yes and no. Ten to two ?...check.
    Push and pull ?...excuse me?? ...I'd like to get there eventually :D

I steer with the right hand, accelerate with the right foot, operate the clutch with the left foot and the gearstick with my left hand ...all at the same time while exiting a roundabout, for example ...that's why I need my indicator on the right!! (Because I usually DO indicate)

And yes ...my indicator also resets itself ...but sometimes the turn isn't big enough and you either switch it off or leave it on until the next sharp bend.

But hey ...it seems I just discovered the explanation for all the crap driving in this country ...it's the indicator's fault !!!
    :D:D:D

jhegarty wrote:
    I am in india at the moment so its defeniatly indicator?? wha?....

haven't seen one in use since I got here

I have had some Indian friends here relate tales of horror wrt driving over there. (if you coud call it driving).

causal wrote:

Not to be smart - but do you steer properly? i.e. hands in the correct position "ten to two", and use the proper push-pull steering wheel technique.
    It is by far the most efficient steering technique (unless you're into powersliding while steering with your thumb @ 6o'clock and your other hand at 12o'clock)

causal

Here try this,
    Busted left hand, which I did.... so boxing glove cast on steering wheel is irrelevant, impractical, impossible and hurts.
    so now you have Gear stick on right, Ind/Lights stalk on left, seatbelt buckle on left, and steering/clutching divided up between your left foot/knee and right hand.
    Palm of hand on wheel for reversing/turning. Thank goodness for power steering..... what am I missing.... oh yes.... the cell phone,.... look Ma, no hands. :D

• Advertisement

AMurphy wrote:
    Here try this,
    Busted left hand, which I did.... so boxing glove cast on steering wheel is irrelevant, impractical, impossible and hurts.
    so now you have Gear stick on right, Ind/Lights stalk on left, seatbelt buckle on left, and steering/clutching divided up between your left foot/knee and right hand.
    Palm of hand on wheel for reversing/turning. Thank goodness for power steering..... what am I missing.... oh yes.... the cell phone,.... look Ma, no hands. :D

And if you continue driving like that you'll be saying look ma no legs either :(

But i do have a very funny picture in my mind of how it all looks! :D

Advertisement