Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst CGI ever in a movie?

Options
  • 21-06-2005 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I was thinking there what the best and worst CGI was Ive seen in a movie. Bearing in mind I havent seen Revenge Of The Sith yet Id have to go with Minority Report as one off the top off my head that CGI that looked good.

I, Robot also was pretty good given that 28 of its 100 million dollar budget went to Will Smith. Worst Ive seen in a blockbuster film was probably Spiderman. It looked very cartoonish and amatuerish compared to its sequel.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gollum from 'Lord of the Rings' is an obvious, but worthy, example of great CGI. The films mostly stand up very well as a whole bar one or two large battle scenes, or cave trolls, where it looks somewhat ropey.

Recently, I thought 'Van Helsing' had appalling special effects for such a big budget flick. Woeful really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Worst Ive seen is Mummy or Mummy Returns

I saw this on a new plasma/dlp Bose screen in the states and it was unbelievably bad - you could see the lines everywhere. Put me off Plasma's for a while after seeing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

I say a tv spot for 'Cursed' and the werewolf effects looked terrible. Rick Baker was doing far more realistic work with rubber two decades before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

What about that Dire Striats video...? That was pretty unrealistic looking wasn't it?

Recently I was generally impressed with the work Weta did with the Lord of the Rings films. And the Day After Tomorrow had that great scene with the torandos ripping apart LA.

Some of the stuff in Revenge of the Sith was pretty horrible, such as Obi Wan's big lizard.

Oh, and let us not forget Jabba the Hut in Episode IV.

I recently saw Beastmaster 3 : The Eye of Braxis and that had a very dodgey CGI monster at the end, pretty much like some of the CGI they used to have in Hercules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

The worst CGI in a movie, ever, just has to be when the shark eats Samuel L. Jackson in Deep Blue Sea. It's just horrendously bad.

The best, well it sort of has to be Gollum doesn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The worst ever, probably a toss between the fight scene infront of the wall of lights in Blade 2, or the surfing scene in one of the newer bond movies (World is Not Enough?).

Best, take your pick from Lord of the Rings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Was going to say that fight in Blade 2 aswell, pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the fast forward, captain elastic scene - that was just funny..... the ninjas growing by around 2 foot at various points.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Worst: animation (can I have this as a 'portion' of the CGI?) in Spiderman (the 'running on the roofs' bit).

Best: Gollum's good, yep, but there's been better, usually FX rather than character - so far. (meteo effects, such as tornadoes as mentionned earlier in the thread. Those in that late 90s tornado film with Bill Paxman & Holly Hunter, for example, were really good for their day).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

the cgi in batman begins was great. they certainly had their antistropic filtering turned on :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i didnt think much of some of the cgi in the harry potter movies when their playing quidditch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

imho I think the best CGI is still Final fantasy, the spirits within, not saying the film was good but the CG was amazing, also including Lost in Space to good CGI,

to worst I would have to say.... errrr.... Antz, was pretty bad in comparison to a bugs life at the time. also the fight in Blade 2 as mentioned, and can't think of any others at the mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Van Helsing was terrible.....new Bond film was terrible as well......second worst Bond ever.......Alien Reincarnation(sp) or watever it was called....last one.....brutal!!!

Best: Gollum, see the Lion in Narnia? well from the trailers and so on looks class(same company as did LOTR).....some of the fight scene's in the Episode 1 and Episode 3 looked great.....not sure about those in Ep 2....have to watch again!!! haha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Worst: Has to be James Bond 20. In particular when he surfs on the bonnet of the car on a giant wave of water and ice. I laughed so hard when I saw that.
    Star Wars Ep I has some god awful CGI in it too.
    Matrix sequels have some dodgy over the top scenes that were completely unneccessary and looked ****.

Best: Obvious one here is LOTR but I think the effects in Spiderman 2 (Doc Ock rocks), Sky Captain (shot entirely in CGI and looks beautiful) and Sin City (purely because I didn't even notice it) were all top notch too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Remember the villian monster thing in Resident Evil? It looked laughably bad. Really, really terrible. I mean, unbelievably patheticly hopeless. Stupidly useless. Naueseatingly sub-standard. I hope you get the idea, because I could go on.

The Hulk wasn't up too much either. He should have been better as he was the star of the film!

For best, Gollum gets another vote. The scale of the achievement is shown by the fact that his acting is fantastic, especially in the multiple-personality arguement in the Two Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

for just pure CGI

wonderful days

definately wins imo

Bacchus wrote:
    but I think the effects in Spiderman 2 (Doc Ock rocks),
    I think alot of the really good close up shots of Doc Ock's tenticles were actually done using puppeteers. The CGI shots were used in the fight scenes and when he was climbing up buildings and they looked a little bit rubbery or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

sky captain wolrd of tomorow , worst.
    Gandalf on top of the tower in the fellowship of the ring, when the camera then goes over the edge and down to the bottom of the tower, best.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

nadir wrote:
    the cgi in batman begins was great. they certainly had their antistropic filtering turned on :p
    um, there was almost no CGI in that movie...

Gollum would go in my best category and worst.....damn, i saw a movie recently that was atrocious but i can't think of the name..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The best CGI has'nt been spotted yet! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well the shots of the monorail running through Gotham City (with the Wayne family) is definitely good CGI.

And some of the scenes involving the fear toxin were CGI too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

mike65 wrote:
    The best CGI has'nt been spotted yet! :D

Mike.

Looks great - Starship Troopers, Sin City, Star Wars EpIII, I Robot, LoTR

Looks crap - I'm confused on this one. Worst Cgi ever in a hollywood movie, or worst cgi plain and simple ever? I guess we are talking about Hollywood from the way you guys are talking. So - I'd go with the creature in Resident Evil, in any case. Not sure what else really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I really liked the CGI for Constantine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I suppose it can't really be faulted because of the rock bottom budget but I've literally seen better 3D rendering on an Amiga than on the CGI spaceship in Leprachaun 4: In Space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The best? I'd say in either Sin City or The Lord Of The Rings. In my eyes, great CGI doesn't jump up on the screen and go "Hey, look at me, look how expensive I am, yay!" it's there as a storytelling tool, and both films used it fantastically. We don't look at Gollum and go "Wow, that's a really great effect!" we see the character. That's great CGI working at it's best.

The worst CGI? Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Although that was probably the worst movie in existance, bar none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I've always loved the CG camera work in Fight Club. I never saw it put to such good use before. Fincher uses it a bit in some other films, but its awesome in Fight Club

I havent watched Jurassic Park in years, but I think the CGI in that was very good for 93/94...if it was CG and not anamotronics. Pretty much anything ILM does is amazing. The Hulk, the alien in Signs, and from what I've seen, the War of the Worlds. It must of been so difficult to do all those effects without blue screens.

I, Robot has some very solid effects, as does Spider-Man 2.

And of course Weta did a great job with Lord of the Rings, cant wait to see what they do with Kong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

escape from LA - terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

ixoy wrote:
    Gollum from 'Lord of the Rings' is an obvious, but worthy, example of great CGI. The films mostly stand up very well as a whole bar one or two large battle scenes, or cave trolls, where it looks somewhat ropey.

Recently, I thought 'Van Helsing' had appalling special effects for such a big budget flick. Woeful really.
    You read my mind on both counts. Get outta my head. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

The worst thing about the Matrix sequels was that Joel Silver and the rest of the mooks that worked on the film kept goin on about how great the CGI was gonna be in those movies, how they'd be so realistic you wouldn't be able to spot them, for the months before it. And then the film comes out and look there's Keanu fighting a whole load of cartoon Agent Smiths. One amongst many ropey effects.

I think the CGI in 'Jurassic Park' is still better than some of the stuff that you see in movies nowadays.

As for the Hulk. I thought he was a good effects but my issues were that he was too big and the wrong shade of green (too bright). Also I felt there was no sense of weight, especially when he was jumping and running in the desert.

For digital effects you can't beat ILM. Althought Weta are really becoming strong contenders.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I suppose it can't really be faulted because of the rock bottom budget but I've literally seen better 3D rendering on an Amiga than on the CGI spaceship in Leprachaun 4: In Space.
    Hey. The Amiga was great at 3D rendering. Lightwave 3D originated on the Amiga and it was used to create the effects in Babylon 5 and SeaQueast DSV.

And it was the latest version of Lightwave (admitedly no longer running on an Amiga) that was used for the effects in Sin City.

Advertisement