Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Questions for the WSOP players

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

DeVore wrote:
    Ok, thanks guys. I'm going to avoid the "you have AK on the QJ board with one of your suit and..." questions. I'm more going for the non-poker questions (its makes for better reading tbh).
    Thanks to everyone, some great questsion there I wouldnt have thought of!

DeV.

The AK hand is interesting to me (and I assume other serious players) because its the only question that gives me any idea if the player in question has any chance of doing well or not. Thats far more interesting than what the player in question had for breakfast before winning his seat or what his wife thinks of poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

You get AJ utg... what do you do

As for Hectors Question I flat call

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Depending on the player, I probably fold ak if i'm re-raised and i fold aj in first pos. i also fold aa if more than 2 players go in b4 me!

Dev - some questions..

For the experienced player:
    1) Do they prefer a bigger field full of internet qualifiers or would they prefer a smaller field with a 25k buy in?
    2) If they could pick a position to finish in that they feel would do themselves justice, what would it be?

For the internet qualifiers,
    1) What is their biggest win?
    2) Would they have taken the cash equivalent instead of the ticket if they were given the choice?

ocallagh wrote:
    i also fold aa if more than 2 players go in b4 me!

ole!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

ocallagh wrote:
    i also fold aa if more than 2 players go in b4 me!

I know this question has been well and truly battered around here b4 but really. But really with the amount of money in the pot with 2 people all in, you will dominate both hands and have a better then 50 50 chance of trebbling up. You would want to be a hell of a lot better then the field to be able to throw away that chance.

Also iv heard lots of people say they would throw away AA but iv never seen it done (that i know of :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I threw away AA on monday. But in fairness flop came 743o. I folded straight away. there was some heavy betting after the flop, and I didn't fancy chasing the straight. I was right too- the raiser flopped his straight.
    Last night I had AA in head to head. A came in the flop- that was one pair bullets I didn't throw away ;)

Divers wrote:
    I threw away AA on monday. But in fairness flop came 743o. I folded straight away. there was some heavy betting after the flop, and I didn't fancy chasing the straight. I was right too- the raiser flopped his straight.
    Last night I had AA in head to head. A came in the flop- that was one pair bullets I didn't throw away ;)

Theres a difference between folding AA preflop and on the flop. Preflop you have the Nuts, on the flop you have 1 pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Divers wrote:

Did you put in a nice raise before the flop or just flat call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Theres a difference between folding AA preflop and on the flop. Preflop you have the Nuts, on the flop you have 1 pair.

Someone has hacked HJ's computer. Note, more letters than numbers. ;)

The above is, however, the be all and end all. How you play those pre-flop nuts, or are forced to play them, is the question. The answer all comes down to what is happening around you. You can only, definately say what you would do in that 'moment'.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

1.Did you ever fart as you pulled in a really big pot?
    2.What one Hand/pot/book/concept/incident helped you become a winning player??
    3.Did the fart smell?
    4.Are you clever? How big a part has intellect to play in the evolution of a poker player, fish to pro??
    5.Did u touch cloth??
    6.It's your button, whats the game?

• Advertisement

During level 1 you get AK in middle position and raise it to 300. A player you dont know makes it 1k to go from the button. Whats your move!

Well HJ, What you do????
    I re-raise to 2,600. I am getting ~2:1 on the call. I will miss the flop ~70% of the time out of position..If I check it to him!!! He will bet I will fold!!!

If he Re-re-raises me I can fold..semi happily

If I flat call and Hit an A or K and he has AA or KK well its, gonna be hard to lay down TPTK,gonna cost alot more than my re-raise pre-flop..

I have a good hand..play poker...Fold ppppahhhhhhh..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Have you ever eaten yellow snow....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Who Shot JR...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Dave wrote:
    Did you put in a nice raise before the flop or just flat call?

I was on BB, we were playing fairly relaxed for a good 20 mins and neither of us raised before the flop...if I did he'd have known i landed a monster, but I SHOULD have checked when i landed the A on the flop and let him try and catch a card. Instead i limped, but he folded.
    If i learnt anything last night, it was how to play AA in the future!

D...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

roryc wrote:
    Have you ever eaten yellow snow....

Yeah it tasted terrible. Its the last slush puppy i will ever buy off the travellers.

Well HJ, What you do????
    I re-raise to 2,600. I am getting ~2:1 on the call. I will miss the flop ~70% of the time out of position..If I check it to him!!! He will bet I will fold!!!

If he Re-re-raises me I can fold..semi happily

If I flat call and Hit an A or K and he has AA or KK well its, gonna be hard to lay down TPTK,gonna cost alot more than my re-raise pre-flop..

I have a good hand..play poker...Fold ppppahhhhhhh..

Think about the type of hands that are reraising you and who is likely to win a huge pot on the flop. AA and KK are the least of your worries because if you are up against them you are unlikely to run into a set. Your getting 2:1 on your call but you have 9k behind, and thats whats important. Lets say the flop comes up A 9 6, how much money will you get from QQ in that instance? But how about A K Q?

Lastly you are out of position so if your opponent was reraising with 67s he is going to win the pot should you miss completely.

Ak is a much better hand if you are able to get a substantial amount of your stack in preflop, ie when the blinds are much bigger.

AA and KK are the least of your worries because if you are up against them you are unlikely to run into a set.
    IF he has AA or KK there are 4 cards left that could give u TPTK and him Set...16%..Likely enough consider..and just the type of hand people exit ME every year on[/QUOTE]

Your getting 2:1 on your call but you have 9k behind, and thats whats important. Lets say the flop comes up A 9 6, how much money will you get from QQ in that instance? But how about A K Q?

Yeah of course AK is a powerhouse over 5 cards not just the flop..But do u suggest getting commited with it in Level 1???
    Don't you start with 50,000 in ME...? So how wud u have 9K behind??
    Lastly you are out of position so if your opponent was reraising with 67s he is going to win the pot should you miss completely. Ak is a much better hand if you are able to get a substantial amount of your stack in preflop, ie when the blinds are much bigger.

So would u get a substantial amount of your stack in pre flop out of position.???Obviously easier to do later in tournament w/ bigger blinds...but what about now!!.Alot of people reckon building pots OOP with Ak is a recipe ...But by re-raising you take control of hand..

Yeah of course AK is a powerhouse over 5 cards not just the flop..But do u suggest getting commited with it in Level 1???
    Don't you start with 50,000 in ME...? So how wud u have 9K behind??

So would u get a substantial amount of your stack in pre flop out of position.???Obviously easier to do later in tournament w/ bigger blinds...but what about now!!.Alot of people reckon building pots OOP with Ak is a recipe ...But by re-raising you take control of hand..

You start with 10k chips.

I would plan to get almost none of my stack in preflop with AK in level 1. With 200 big blinds you dont want to be backing your stack with 1 pair, and AK is good at making 1 pair and not much else. When the stacks are much shorter 1 pair becomes quite a good hand and one which you are happy to back with your stack, and so Ak's value goes much higher; and as such you are much happier to raise or reraise with it. Once you are reraised with AK its a pretty clear fold if you have any respect for your opponents play. (Or you dont think he is pushing you around in general).

Putting in the third raise does have some advantages, but you are essentially representing a much bigger hand than you really have. You will never get called by a hand that you dominate, but you will often get called by hands that dominate you, so in general its a bad idea. I think a fold/call/reraise is my preffered order.

Advertisement