Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating Blood - how long...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

eth0_ wrote:
    How can gay men be banned from giving blood when it is a scientifically proven fact that heterosexuals are the biggest spreaders of the disease?
    Because of a backwards way of thinking that only homosexuals practice anal sex which is known to be a high risk activity in terms of passing on the disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Don't worry about uncomfortable questions, its all confidential so nobody will find out. The questions are there for a good reason and if you can't answer them honestly you really shouldn't be trying to give blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

eth0_ wrote:
    ...it is a scientifically proven fact that heterosexuals are the biggest spreaders of the disease?

Is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

eth0_ wrote:
    How can gay men be banned from giving blood when it is a scientifically proven fact that heterosexuals are the biggest spreaders of the disease?

Because certain people are too feicing stupid to make a destinction between safe monogamous sex, and someone that practices unsafe sex. Somehow a women that has un-protected sex with a stranger will only be banned for afew months, however a male that has sex with another male, regardless of how safe it was, will be banned for life. Truth is their not that stupid, it's all about a stigma.

0utshined: Yes it is. Thought maybe not in Ireland. Certainly the fastest rising rate of HIV infection is amount Young Irish women.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As this thread has gone a bit off-topic, I heard a good joke recently....

Guy goes to donate blood. Attendant asks him if he had sex with another man.
    He looks at her funny, and says "No, . . . . but how did you find out about the first one?".

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

LiouVille wrote:

0utshined: Yes it is. Thought maybe not in Ireland. Certainly the fastest rising rate of HIV infection is amount Young Irish women.

Fair enough. I'm sure you're right, it was just that phrasing of the piece I quoted that stuck out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Because certain people are too feicing stupid to make a destinction between safe monogamous sex, and someone that practices unsafe sex. Somehow a women that has un-protected sex with a stranger will only be banned for afew months, however a male that has sex with another male, regardless of how safe it was, will be banned for life. Truth is their not that stupid, it's all about a stigma.

Look, I don't see what you're so worried about. Do they prosecute you if you are gay and give blood? Do they check up on you? No. If you're clean and you know it, you donate blood. Don't get pissy about them, they're not out to discriminate, they're out to protect the safety of the public. And maybe they haven't got their facts right, but still. It's a good cause, don't deny someone the opportunity to blood that they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

egan007 "6 weeks"

ummm... no. as stated by the other 2 people it's 24 hours as hash is unimportant to it..
    if he's man enough to smoke it he should be man enough to admit it

*flexes muscles* HUAH... i am manly and all powerful.... i laugh in the face of danger for i have smoked cannibas. I fear not your uncomfortable questions. muahaha... bow before me, puny people. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

any chance we could get back to the topic at hand?
    B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

/back on topic

i've rung the lo call phone number asking questions about donating before and they're very helpful, and it's confidential.

edit to add:

If you are in any doubt about whether you can donate blood, you can e-mail the IBTS at info@ibts.ie or contact the IBTS Information Line at 1850 731 137.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i had planned to give blood some time but after reading this thread it appears i do not qualify as i lived in the UK. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i wonder if my girlfriend would be allowed donate blood? she's english but a vegetarian. I reckon it is far more likely that i have been exposed to vCJD than she has....

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I get annoyed that I am unable to give blood here due to living in UK and also my Irish wife and so many other Irish people I know. And then they compalin of a shortage ! I say fcuk them as well.

(If I need blood I'll get some shipped over from England anyway ;) )

To be honest after the Foot and Mouth crisis and the effects of it in Ireland (ie farmers moving livestock around in middle of night and all the shady goings on with untagged cattle etc) I would wager that lots and lots of infected BSE Irish beef found its way into the Irish food chain.

I would much prefer to eat British beef than Irish Beef tbh

As for CJD - they should have seen many many more human cases by now for it to be a worst case scenario (still only about 50 odd cases a year).

There are still loads of cases of BSE in Ireland - how many have not been noticed before finding their way into supermarkets here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

englander wrote:
    I get annoyed that I am unable to give blood here due to living in UK and also my Irish wife and so many other Irish people I know. And then they compalin of a shortage ! I say fcuk them as well.

(If I need blood I'll get some shipped over from England anyway ;) )

To be honest after the Foot and Mouth crisis and the effects of it in Ireland (ie farmers moving livestock around in middle of night and all the shady goings on with untagged cattle etc) I would wager that lots and lots of infected BSE Irish beef found its way into the Irish food chain.

I would much prefer to eat British beef than Irish Beef tbh

As for CJD - they should have seen many many more human cases by now for it to be a worst case scenario (still only about 50 odd cases a year).

There are still loads of cases of BSE in Ireland - how many have not been noticed before finding their way into supermarkets here ?

This is going seriously OT, but for a start CJD can take many years to manifest itself in a human, so they are just being sure.

WRT to your comments about shady goings on with Irish farmers etc, have you ANY proof of this whatsoever, or are you just being patriotic in some odd way?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

This is going seriously OT, but for a start CJD can take many years to manifest itself in a human, so they are just being sure

Where is your proof of this ?

According to a report I read in New Scientist (I read it New Scientist, but will dig it out for who wrote teh article etc) the number of victims of CJD per year should be increasing now for there to be any chance of some epidemic.
    This research was done by looking at the circumstances of people who have (or died from) CJD (when they ate meat, when they were infected etc) and based it on teh number of meat eaters when BSe was at its height. The number of CJD infections should be rising. The levels are steady.

WRT to your comments about shady goings on with Irish farmers etc, have you ANY proof of this whatsoever, or are you just being patriotic in some odd way?

Patriotic !? WTF? I am not some crazy nutter who lives in another country telling people to buy British. I'd see this as being a nutter. Not patriotic.

(Although I did come across a few people in England who were from ....lets say ... another country, who were like that. (suffice to say they would tend to buy KerryGold butter))

Did you see the Irish News during the Foot and Mouth crisis in England ?
    Day after day there were reports of untagged cattle being found in Ireland and farmers questioned about cattle being moved during the night etc..

Even now, neighbours of my inlaws down the country move sheep from farm to farm to collect extra subsidies and that !

Is that not shady ?

I spent many years working from MAFF in England - where procedures seem a lot stricter than those 'procedures' operated down the country in Ireland.

That is the basis of my opinion - that I would much prefer to eat British meat than Irish meat. Nothing to do with patriotism.( WTF ? ).

As far as giving blood - I reckon its a shame that so many people are excluded for no real good reason. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The thing is, as people have stated, is that it does not matter at all what the facts are when it comes to blood transfusion. Perception is what matters, and right now the Irish perception is that homosexuals and people who lived in England would taint their blood somehow, and as such they would not be willing to recieve the blood. If public perception changed, then they would allow homosexuals to give blood. So really the campaining should be made against the public rather than the blood transfusion board.

I lived in England myself, and as such can't give blood in this country, but have to respect that people will always feel a right to have body fluid integrity. If Dr. Strangelove taught us anything, its that the consequences of denying an individual of their precious bodily fluids can be dire for everyone ;)

However, if it was a REAL emergency, i.e. a real blood shortage, and lots of people started dying because of it, the rules would definitely be relaxed as much as possible with regards the rules that seem to be soley there to enhance the publics confidence in the blood they could recieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

It's more to do with the fact that the BTSB have had their asses nailed to the wall repeatedly for incompetence and idiocy of the highest order - the Hepatitis Scandal and infecting people with HIV.

Their ideal blood donor is a virgin, vegetarian nun with a nice high level of iron who's never been sick in her life.

They're afraid that vCJD will be their next AIDs scandal, they're even more scared that AIDs will be their next AIDs scandal, so they're engaged in a very large ass covering excercise.

Given the general attitude of the Irish Public to everything, this is probably the only sensible way to behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

LiouVille wrote:
    I'm of the mindset to say fuk 'em. There is no blood crisis, they spout this out every year to keep supplies up. It's what allows them to so blatently descriminant. I've a sem-rare blood type, and I would give blood if I was allowed, but I'm not, so as I say fuk 'em.

don't know if anyone else has said this but go on shut up, if more ppl had your attitude then what kind of state would we be in. just cause you can't do it doesn't mean everyone should boycott it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

And in the news today:

Blood donor treated for suspected vCJD
    A blood donor is being treated at a Dublin hospital for vCJD, the human form of mad cow disease.

While the man's diagnosis has not been confirmed, his condition is being described as a "probable" case of vCJD based on preliminary test results.

A patient at a second Dublin hospital who received blood donated by the man was informed yesterday that he had received the donation from a man suspected of having vCJD.

The Irish Blood Transfusion Service (IBTS) said last night that the man with probable vCJD had, however, only ever given one blood donation.

It added that components from this donation had only gone to two patients. One of them was dead from a cause unrelated to the blood donation and the other was the patient who was informed yesterday.

It is not known what the risk is of a person contracting vCJD from blood given by a person infected with vCJD, a degenerative brain disease which is invariably fatal.

A spokesman for the National Blood Service in the UK said nobody actually knows what the risks are.

Prof Bill Hall, chairman of the State's vCJD advisory group, said he did not think anybody could quantify the risk. "It could depend on the blood product they received and how much infectious agent was in the blood," he said.

There have been just two cases of vCJD to date in Britain linked to blood transfusion.

The IBTS said that while a person is infected, but symptom-free, it is possible they may pass on the infection through blood donation. "While a number of precautionary measures have been put in place to reduce the risk of transmitting vCJD by blood transfusion in Ireland, no universally effective measure exists to prevent its transmission," it added.

The results of further tests on the man with probable vCJD are awaited. Informed sources said the patient was showing all the signs of having vCJD.

This is the second suspected case of vCJD in the State in the past year. Last October a man in his 20s was treated at a Dublin hospital for the condition. He died recently.

His was the first indigenous case of vCJD in the State and given that he had never given blood or received a blood transfusion, or been operated on, his diagnosis had no adverse implications for the national blood supply. The source of his infection was believed to have been infected meat, which has been the source of the majority of cases of vCJD to date in Britain.

It is considered likely the source of infection in this latest case is also infected meat as blood would not have been taken from him recently if he had ever received a blood transfusion or spent time in Britain when BSE was at its height.

Given that vCJD can be lying dormant for 10 years after eating infected meat, he could have become infected before rigorous food safety controls were introduced here in 1996 and 1997.

Last night Minister for Health Mary Harney said she had been assured that every possible safeguard and preventative measure had been taken by the relevant agencies. "Out of respect for the patient and the patient's family, and the confidentiality of the doctor-patient relationship, the department (of health) is appealing to the press not to identify the hospital and to respect the privacy of the family at this very difficult time," she added.
    englander wrote:
    eoin_s wrote:
    This is going seriously OT, but for a start CJD can take many years to manifest itself in a human, so they are just being sure
    Where is your proof of this ?
    See text in bold in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

danniemcq wrote:
    don't know if anyone else has said this but go on shut up, if more ppl had your attitude then what kind of state would we be in. just cause you can't do it doesn't mean everyone should boycott it

I don't actually think Liouville was suggesting a boycott at all.

Do you know how annoying it is to be banned when you've only had anal sex with a condom, when you've had tests which you prove you are STI free, when your work colleagues (who you are not "out" to) are pressuring you to donate

Also UCC LGB society organised a college petition/protest about this - specifically asking people to donate but sign the petition as well - numbers of donations went up - most gay people who are annoyed by this ban do not advocate other people donating

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

eth0_ wrote:
    I think their ban on people who've lived in the UK giving blood is faintly ridiculous, what makes an Irish person who has lived here all his/her life and eaten meat products from the UK (which the majority of frozen meat products are) any less likely to be a carrier of CJD?

Same. I can't give blood anymore because I lived in the UK for a year for 12 months before 1995, at which point I might have eaten some beef, from a cow that may have had BSE, which could have given me CJD, which might be transmissible by blood transfusion which may trigger a brain disease in the reciever. Or they could just die because there's no blood available.

I've given blood within days of smoking, no bother. They don't ask - it's not going to have any longlasting effects on the person who gets the blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

How long does hash stay in your system

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Evil Phil wrote:
    Don't worry about uncomfortable questions, its all confidential so nobody will find out. The questions are there for a good reason and if you can't answer them honestly you really shouldn't be trying to give blood.

Actually....the confidentiality is somewhat limited.

Last time I went to give blood I was refused. The reason: I received a transfusion in the late 80's as part of an appendectomy (appendix op) that went wrong and they have recently changed the rules that used to allow me to give blood. My blood type isn't rare, so no big loss.

It was in the local community centre of a small town (i.e. everybody knows everybody). Suffice to say, I found it pretty embarassing having to walk out of the room (where there were people that I knew) without actually donating. It wouldn't have been so bad at one of the permanent donation centres, but local events like that could have the fear of blushes putting people off.

Advertisement