Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skate Board park on the Cork Road

Options
  • 09-06-2005 1:01pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm curious is it even being used anymore, when I used to come to work via Superquinn the odd time I used to see people in their skating around in it,
    But now I only come back from work via the Cork Road.

But in the past year I hasn't seen any kids using it, I'm not a skate boarder but I see it as a total waste of money that it was built and is hardly used especially considering all the damage skate boarders "appear" to do to the Millennium Plaza down by the quays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

afaik they dont have any one employed to work in the box at the moment and will only have him someitme in the Summer. Yes it was a big waste of money especially considering there are only about 3 skaters left in Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote:
    I'm curious is it even being used anymore, when I used to come to work via Superquinn the odd time I used to see people in their skating around in it,
    But now I only come back from work via the Cork Road.

But in the past year I hasn't seen any kids using it, I'm not a skate boarder but I see it as a total waste of money that it was built and is hardly used especially considering all the damage skate boarders "appear" to do to the Millennium Plaza down by the quays.

There were people whining about skateboarders using the plaza on WLR today, in light of a recent skateboarding ban in Ennis for people skating in public places.

The skateboarders apparently claim that the park on the Cork road is too far out, etc. Myself, I reckon, they just prefer to skate in a natural urban environment, rather than a 'contrived' environment. Still, they are ****ing the place up.

The clouds are gathering for the skateboarders though, one way or the other...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I thought that park was privatly owned anyway. There was great intrest in it when it first opened, but it dwindled quickly. I thought one of the reasons it was abandoned by the skateboarders was because its opening times didnt suit - ie - closing too early etc.
    The sooner they're banned from public places the better IMHO anyway, i hate wlking through the town and the skateboarders coming out of nowhere and nearly smacking into you (usually in J.R. square)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    The skateboarders apparently claim that the park on the Cork road is too far out, etc. Myself, I reckon, they just prefer to skate in a natural urban environment, rather than a 'contrived' environment. Still, they are ****ing the place up.

The clouds are gathering for the skateboarders though, one way or the other...

Hmm so they get a custom built park for themself and then their too lazy to use it :rolleyes: If they really wanted it to stay open longer they'd be able to sort it nobother.

Why don't they get the bus out or better yet get a lift with some of their BMX buddies :D

I personally think any BMX'ing and skateboarding around the Plasa should be banned out right, it puts tourists etc off from walking around it as they don't feel safe. (yes their is a image attached to skateboarders)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

If you go down to the plaza on a weekend evening you will see teens drinking, shouting and messing bout. Sometimes you might see them huddled in a corner and some smoke rising up from where their location. What are the kids going to do when the tall ships is in town?
    The skatepark on the cork road is pretty crap looking and very small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

angry_fox wrote:
    If you go down to the plaza on a weekend evening you will see teens drinking, shouting and messing bout. Sometimes you might see them huddled in a corner and some smoke rising up from where their location. What are the kids going to do when the tall ships is in town?
    The skatepark on the cork road is pretty crap looking and very small.

The Plaza is closed of at the moment, a "builders fence" as I call it has been erected around it blocking access.

I honestly believe they destroy the place when they use it with there graffiti and ****.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully04 wrote:
    The Plaza is closed of at the moment, a "builders fence" as I call it has been erected around it blocking access.

I honestly believe they destroy the place when they use it with there graffiti and ****.

The council properly want to be 110% sure it wouldn't be covered in graffiti for the tall ships, its a shame it must go to such extreme;s to protect public space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What they should do is re-surface the plaza making sure there are indents running the full width and length of it. Perfectly good enough to walk on but impossible to 'board across.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote:
    The council properly want to be 110% sure it wouldn't be covered in graffiti for the tall ships, its a shame it must go to such extreme;s to protect public space

lol good theory but I think its something to do with that new platform they are building? Which remind me, what's that black pipe which runs along the fence all the way down by the bridge?? Hrm..
    Mike65 wrote:
    What they should do is re-surface the plaza making sure there are indents running the full width and length of it. Perfectly good enough to walk on but impossible to 'board across.

Mike.

Ok so that stops the Skaters, but what about those bikers who do more harm then good? The drugys and alcho's who come to "have fun" but destroy the place? For example, that stone monument towards the Tower Hotel - what stands out most on that is the graffiti -- someone signed the bloody thing with a black marker.

Hope the council clean that place down a bit for the Tall Ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well the solution to vandals, drunks and druggies is simple - Kill 'em All! :D I mean use law enforcement.... :p

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Well the solution to vandals, drunks and druggies is simple - Kill 'em All! :D I mean use law enforcement.... :p

Mike.

The last time I saw the cops going in, it was a brilliant site. They came, the people saw, the people ran as one officer tried his best to catch them and was followed by the cop car again with just one person in it. The verdict? LOL. Failure.

What a raid, espically seeing it from the bus to Tramore! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah jaysus, you're all a bunch of nazis. It's just a couple of kids with skateboards, they are doing no harm. Could be worse, they could be trying to start fights with everyone they see, rob houses and cars and all that nonsense.

dlofnep wrote:
    Ah jaysus, you're all a bunch of nazis. It's just a couple of kids with skateboards, they are doing no harm. Could be worse, they could be trying to start fights with everyone they see, rob houses and cars and all that nonsense.

And do you have proof that those involved are NOT doing that kind of thing? Eh? Eh? :P

dlofnep wrote:

But we all know how things go
    BMX'ing, skateboarding, small crime, smoking, drink, soft drugs, hard drugs and then hard drugs and murders all to fund their habit of so called EXTREME sports.

BMX'ing & Skateboarding is a dangerous road to go down.
    :cool:

Cabaal wrote:
    But we all know how things go
    BMX'ing, skateboarding, small crime, smoking, drink, soft drugs, hard drugs and then hard drugs and murders all to fund their habit of so called EXTREME sports.

BMX'ing & Skateboarding is a dangerous road to go down.
    :cool:
    I dunno about that. A lot of these kids are just going through a phase, most of them are in there teens anyway. Remember how hard it was been a teenager, tryin to fit in and so on....... Most of them will grow out of it. BMX'ing & Skateboarding can be good sports to get into but the problem here in Ireland is the lack of facilites and competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

the skate park on the cork road looks pretty cruddy to be honest , its teeny.Every time i see those BMX folk , Im like ET phone home , just reminds me so much of that film :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

angry_fox wrote:
    I dunno about that. A lot of these kids are just going through a phase, most of them are in there teens anyway. Remember how hard it was been a teenager, tryin to fit in and so on....... Most of them will grow out of it. BMX'ing & Skateboarding can be good sports to get into but the problem here in Ireland is the lack of facilites and competitions.

It's like everything in this country. We have loads of deterrents which are not enforced. A by-law should be introduced whereby a €10,000 (not UP to €10,000) fine will be enforced on the first ones breaking it at the Plaza. If not them, then their parents.

It's like those scum in Limerick who locked the chap in the car and gang-raped his girlfriend. That should have been a mandatory 25 years without parole. It's a deterrent you need, not necessarily the punishment. But for it to work you have to enforce the deterrent.

But there seems to be a collective lack of will to do this......and these people know it. Regardless of your political persuasion, your man McDowell seems to be exactly the type of head the ball that you need for that Justice job.

Bring in the ASBOs - and enforce them severely. :mad:

It's like everything in this country. We have loads of deterrents which are not enforced. A by-law should be introduced whereby a €10,000 (not UP to €10,000) fine will be enforced on the first ones breaking it at the Plaza. If not them, then their parents.

That would be a little harsh but they would certainly learn their lesson. Teenagers in Waterford need something to do and to be honest there's nothing for them to do but hang around Red Square or down by the Plaza, its up to the council and there parents to get them involved in something....
    Bring in the ASBOs - and enforce them severely. :mad:
    Its a good idea, but it could cause some serious trouble for the gardai, imagine giving one out to a guy in the middle of john street, his friends starts arguing with the garda about it, tempers flare and then everyone will be spending the night in a cell. Common sense will be needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

going home today i notice they have taken over the mall

i did witness 3 of them almost killing themselves which was funny i thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cmhdwwi

Hi. I am a teenage bmxer from waterford,just want to say that the skateboard park on the cork road was a complete waist of money and was not researched properly the ramps instead of havin the top layer made of wood they have it more of a lyno surface..YES LYNO for gods sake!!which is slippy and some might say dangerous..the ramps are also built wrong and the angles are wrong making them unsuitable!
    As for skateboards and bmxers i think its sick the way members of the public go out of their way just to avoid them and so they wont have to pass them...WE ARE KIDS FOR GOD SAKE NOT THE MAFIA..most of us are manerly and curtious ,we are just looked apon as tugs because of the sports we enjoy.IF IT WAS TEENAGERS PLAYING FOOTBALL ON THE STREET WOULD YOU GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO AVOID THEM?NO I DIDNT THINK SO!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I defo dont avoid ye anyway , that place on the cork road looks cruddy .Plus its a bit too far out from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

I would like to make a few points on teenagers using the Plaza etc.

1.) Taxpayers, meaning you and I have paid for this piece of leisure infrastructure and are entilted to use it for the purpuse it was built. We certaintly don't want BMXer's and Skateboarder's ruining it. Afterall it is NOT a skate park.

2.) Any damage caused by said Skateboarder's and/or BMXer's MUST be re-paid through either the kids themselves or the parents. I have seen parents drop of their teenagers in nice BMW's, Volvos and SAAB's. An example must be made sooner rather than later.

3.) What would they do if there were still the old sheds there!!!!

4.) Would skateboarders tear up their parents garden furniture in the same way that they do the Plaza?

That's my rant over with

I'm still waiting for the reply saying "But we don't damage anything" :rolleyes:

If you want a proper skatepark then band together, raise money, do something, atleast make it look like your interested in the sport

But theirs no point in bitching about something you got for free

As for the damage in the plaza its not caused by skateboarders or bmxers its caused by stupid drunk and mindless teenagers with NO hobby that are just bored so they decide to vandalise the place...but guess who gets the blame?yes thats right US..i remember a head line in the munster express "skateboarders vandalise plaza"...what aload of crap we dont do anything cept our hobby!

cmhdwwi wrote:
    As for the damage in the plaza its not caused by skateboarders or bmxers its caused by stupid drunk and mindless teenagers with NO hobby that are just bored so they decide to vandalise the place...but guess who gets the blame?yes thats right US..i remember a head line in the munster express "skateboarders vandalise plaza"...what aload of crap we dont do anything cept our hobby!

What damage was done to the plaza?

Teens on roller blades and bmxs come around the back of where i work most evenings and just cause trouble. They take stuff, stick cardboard up in front of the intake for the air conditioning (caused a fire the other day). Caught them jumping into the skip the other day, asked why they were doing it "Cause its fun" in his fine privately educated accent.

In conclusion roller bladers and some bmxers are posh twats with nothing to do but annoy other people and cant be bothered getting a job cause mammy and daddy give them all the money they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I defo dont avoid ye anyway , that place on the cork road looks cruddy .Plus its a bit too far out from town.

But what about that famous quote from that famous movie featuring that not anymore famous actor....what was his name, er, whatever...
    "Build it and they will come"

The youth of today, Jesus. I know that if i was 15 or so i'd be delighted that "the man" that provided me with facilaties, even it was a whole half mile outside of town. Come on now Oldyellar, in all fairness, its not that much of a hike, if you have two working legs to do a bit of half-pippin and a bit of off the wall onto the roof-tops grinding then surely you can make your way out to the provided skate park. Honestly the youth of today!

When i was growing up we used to play in puddles and pretend we all had our own swimming pools, ahh yes those where the days.... :rolleyes:

....Kelvin Costigan, er no wait, i think i have it......Kevin Costner in Fields of Dreams, thats his name/movie..sh*te. Anyway back on topic...There seems to be a load of kids( i'll take a guess at the age range...12-ish to 16-ish) hanging about down by the County Hall Building, the one with the cannons in front of it on the Mall. There is some mess up there as a result, that really pisses me off. I hate when people litter and leave a mess behind themselves without even giving consideration to the persons who will eventually have to clean up after em. I know that littering is not just a youth specific problem, its a national issue, Ireland is terrible for litter, but its really bad up there, especially since that area would be recoignsed as a tourist-ish region.

Rant Over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Its strange that you say you don't vandalise the Plaza because people I know and trust say that the skaters are the ones doing the damage. I understand that it's not every single one of you but there are (like in all other classes) a few that are only out to cause trouble.

Also bear in mind that everytime you try to ollie up onto the seats or whatever you are damaging them. Everytime you wax up the seats you are essentially vandalising them because the definition of vandalising is: "wiilful destruction or defacement of its built environment"

Ok thats fair enough we do cause some damage with the benches etc. but the damage with the benches can be fixed with a length of 2x4.The main damage is the cutting of the canopy,the breaking of the lights and glass over by the monument and the writing and griffeetee.....all caused by none skaters,we just get the blame.As a matter of a fact if we see some one vandalising the plaza we will stop them because we know we will just get the blame!I think the reson we always get blamed is because most of these vandals carry a skateboard or have a bmx but they dont actually skate or bmx.If they did they would hang around with us because we are the only group of actual skaters or bmxers the rest just carry a deck ar own a bmx.This as u can imagine is very frustrating for us because we know the guards cant tell the difference between the two groups....they then blame us because we are actually skating where as the other group are just holding a deck and in turn look alot more innocent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

cmhdwwi wrote:
    most of these vandals carry a skateboard or have a bmx but they dont actually skate or bmx.

erm, so it’s a conspiracy is it? These "rouge skaters" are assuming your identity as good wholesome skaters and then vandalising under your identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The youth of today, Jesus. I know that if i was 15 or so i'd be delighted that "the man" that provided me with facilaties, even it was a whole half mile outside of town.
    To what? Kill yourself? Ever try turning quickly on lyno? you'll slip.

=-=

Oh, and its ""Put on a rock concert, and they will come."

Advertisement