Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Film Score

Options
  • 06-06-2005 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

What's your favorite score? i don't mean soundtrack per se, but actual scores, pieces of music!

I've just downloaded the scores to the Gladiator, Apollo 13 and The Perfect Storm, all of which are amazing! I'm looking for others but i can't really think of many. I know about stars wars but if i listen to that i'll just be thinking of star wars.

So what's your fave?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

ah, touché

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Just handier than writing it all out again. I'm a bit of a film score buff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

The Donnie Darko score is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm with hugh there, donnie darko's score is great. as is fight club's. i love the matrix scores, they're very suited to the film (sounds stupid but there are so many scores that are just some guy composing feelings without trying to make some sound that suits the film)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Just after downloading the K-PAX score, very good, only listened to the first track but i'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I always liked the Omen soundtrack. Ave Satani at full volume. The best way to introduce yourself to your new OAP neighbours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Lord of the Rings has a very good score, but my favourite would have to be Gladiator or the Last of the Mohicans. Would a song played during a film count as the score or the soundtrack? Does a peice of music have to be instrumental and composed by the films composer to be counted as the score?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

check out all the lord of the rings score there all pretty damm good, my personal fave score, although not a movie's but a game's is the score from final fantasy VIII(thats 8 for the un-enlightened folk)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

the mission score is excellent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, both fantastic, particularly Star Wars

I'm also very partial to Basil Poledouris' scores in Starship Troopers and Robocop!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Scores that come to mind:

Lord Of The Rings
    Donnie Darko
    Unbreakable
    Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm also very partial to Basil Poledouris' scores in Starship Troopers and Robocop!

How DARE you suggest Basil Poledouris and not mention his score for Conan The Barbarian! You sicken me. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

I forgot Eternal Sunshine, amazing score by Jon Brion, especially the song in the car scene near the end.

Man on Fire has a pretty good score, but the song "the End" by Harry Gregson-Williams is astounding, just a really strong piece of music.

Hans Zimmer has done a lot of good scores too, it must be really difficult. The Last Samurai was his 100th wasnt it? I cant imagine how, but hes able to score a lot of, kind of average medicore blockbusters, and still make each score sound different.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Kronos Quartet's work on 'Requiem for a Dream' is pretty damn nifty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My favourite john williams score is for Raiders of the Lost Ark followed by Star wars: The Empire Strikes Back.

Thought the score for Wings of Honneamise by Ryuichi Sakimoto was superb.

Other favourites would be Lord of the Rings, Das Boot, Requiem for a Dream and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

ixoy wrote:
    The Kronos Quartet's work on 'Requiem for a Dream' is pretty damn nifty.
    Pure brilliance in my opinion, Clint Mansell was the composer. My favourite piece is Lux Aeterna, beautiful and intense, matches the film perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Requiem for a Dream's score is absolutely gorgeous. One of the few soundtracks I'd listen to regularly. Michael Nyman's score for The Piano is wonderful too. Others worthy of mention are Tindersticks' Trouble Every Day and Einstuerzende Neubauten's Berlin Babylon. Two "normal" bands making beautiful scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Koyaanisqatsi. Nothing even comes close.
    Mods, you can close this thread now, it's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Conan the Barbarian score by Basil Poledouris. Definately my no 1.
    I guess people dont know the film well karl , and just think of robocop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

My fav is The Gladiator

Braveheart & Michael Collins are there or there abouts!!

Run Lola Run's score was fine ass. What A Difference A Day Makes was made for it.

Jon Brion did I <Heart> Huckabees too didn't he? He wrote that excellent song for it, Knock Yourself Out. Very catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I really like the music Joe Hisaishi has done for the Miyazaki films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Without a doubt Platoon. Also liked Braveheart and Excalibur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

The Akira Soundtrack

Fight Club

Requiem for a dream

Natural Born Killers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Howard Shore's score for The Lord Of The Rings is possibilty consistently the best music ever composed for film.

The classic William's scores from the likes of Close Encounters, Raiders and Star Wars are simply amazing too.

I'm also a big fan of Bernard Herrmann's score from Citizen Kane and Vertigo (seriously haunting).

And of course you can't forget Ennio Morricone's unearthly good scores for the likes of The Mission, Once Upon A Time In The West and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

someone mentioned akira & requiem for a dream, yes yes yes! also, PI. i don't think it counts but the score for the metal gear solid games are amazing (just got #3 today), done by harry gregson-williams

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i don't think it counts but the score for the metal gear solid games are amazing (just got #3 today), done by harry gregson-williams

He only does maybe 10 tracks. the rest are done by the in house konami composer (who is also a composing god).

Can't wait until Micheal Giachianno gets some more big movies to score. I'm a big fan of all his soundtracks for games (CoD and MoH), tv series (Alias and Lost) and recently for films (Incredibles).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Retr0gamer wrote:
    He only does maybe 10 tracks. the rest are done by the in house konami composer (who is also a composing god).

Can't wait until Micheal Giachianno gets some more big movies to score. I'm a big fan of all his soundtracks for games (CoD and MoH), tv series (Alias and Lost) and recently for films (Incredibles).
    Michael Giachianno has come up with some amazing instrumental pieces in 'Lost' anyways!

• Advertisement

I'm also a big fan of Bernard Herrmann's score from Citizen Kane and Vertigo (seriously haunting).
    And on that note Psycho gets a mention (watched it last night).

Advertisement