Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denny Leinster Schools Debating Competition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

Is there really any point to that? I've never heard of this competition before, are all the motions related to mental health somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

pretty much, ya. It gets you off a few classes in school, can't be bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

jono087 wrote:
    I did that mental health milarkey last year, just get the leaflets and paraphrase/elaborate on the points on 'em... worked for me:rolleyes:

How did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

HeyYou wrote:

2) Dearv: you're doing all the wrong competitions! Well, any Mace competition run by TCD or UCD will usually be good, but the other two are horrendous competitions. The Phil in TCD just don't have as good debaters or adjudicators as the L&H or the Hist; as a result, they can't really give decent worthwhile advice to the same level as Denny adjudicators can, and they frequently get adjudications wrong. However, you should really consider stepping up into the big leagues and doing a real competition, run by people who know what they're doing and do it well.

Irwin

Attempting to influence much??

the phil arn't that bad, it's just that the hist are better, and if you end up in ucd well the L and h are essential but yeah emm..

i might end up adjudicating some of you're second rounds and if any of you were there at the CHS Mace i adjudicated on friday night.

Bartley is class and keep reminding him that he is indeed a place

"Where's Bartley Rock?"

the names misleading but.....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

the phil arn't that bad, it's just that the hist are better,

And the fact we don't charge, they do, in order to make a profit, which last year was spent on drink, not that i should complain cause i managed to nick some, (okay lots)

but seriously, there is something a little off about running a school kids competition to make money and then claiming you do it because the other one is to exclusive...?

• Advertisement

Amen to that. The Phil are good guys, but they're really not a debating society in the same sense that The L&H and The Hist are. I stand by my statement; the Phil Speaks is a silly competition. And the money issue is a little suspect, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

SOL wrote:
    And the fact we don't charge, they do, in order to make a profit, which last year was spent on drink, not that i should complain cause i managed to nick some, (okay lots)

but seriously, there is something a little off about running a school kids competition to make money and then claiming you do it because the other one is to exclusive...?

this is going to be a completely pointless point, but anyway hello quiggles...i only heard that you posted on these boards recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭J Campion

Nice ot see that this is turning into the
    "Let's bask in the warm glow of self-satisfaction" thread! :D
    To continue on that vane...
    I'm not sure if I've mentioned it but yeah my team got through aswell. Also won the league phase of our unit in that other competition cough*Concern*cough. Also won the first round of the Gael Linn.

Don't diss the warm glow John

Outcast wrote:
    How did you do?

We got to the provincial final, which is fair enough...... got beaten by some cork crowd.:(

• Advertisement

Don't worry, they got beaten in the next round

Outcast wrote:
    Don't worry, they got beaten in the next round

ah..... that's nice to know:D

hey, by any chance did you think their first speaker looked like Julia Roberts?:rolleyes:

I didn't actually come in against them but they weren't in the National Final so they must have been beaten

For anyone who's interested in such things, there's a list of the teams and individuals who progressed to Round Two of this year's competition on the website (www.leinsterschoolsdebating.com) now. Enjoy!

Hi all,

Round Two is now underway; the first 8 debates have been drawn and are available on www.leinsterschoolsdebating.com. The remaining 8 will be posted on Monday January 16th, so keep an eye on the website. Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

Irwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Lady penelopy

irwin! i'm pretty sure that only kings hos. a (ie me) got through-the list says both a and b did. and our names arent up! (thats sara joyce and ellen quinn, in case you were wondering...)

There were some wildcard positions available, so anyone who the judges said was close to going through but didn't quite make it will have been wildcarded into round 2 with a new lease on life. Good luck!

Hey Irwin,
    Will there be debates on in UCD on Thursday 26th? My teammate can't come that day

It'll probably be the Tuesday of that week instead of the Thursday.

Great, any chance of a heads up on motions?;)

• Advertisement

Nope! How are you finding them so far?

Our first round was banning fatty food which I thought was a great topic but it was a pretty poor debate. The second round ones that are up now are pretty good. Creationism will make an interesting debate but the judiciary one could be tough.

Creationism's a personal favourite, as is the UNSC one. Have a few gems in store but they're a bit tough to use in the early rounds.

Looking forward to seeing them

Well you're second prop team of the motion
    "That This House Would Criminalise Adultery",
    in case you don't already know.
    Should certainly prove rather interesting!
    Oh and I'm on the same night, so see ya there!!!

What's your motion?

You don't want to know, you really don't.
    Well I'm proposing
    "That This House Would Support the Use of Internment for Terrorist Suspects"
    Certainly a thought provoking motion!

Best of Luck to anyone participating. Hope we all get through to the quarters!!!

How did you do John?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

The draw for the Quarter Finals is now available on the website. Best of luck to you all, see you soon.

Irwin

Advertisement