Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bud Rising - WTF ?

Options
  • 02-06-2005 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Headed off to see Echo and the Bunnyment last night. It was on in the Village and promoted as part of the Bud Rising festival. The bar in the venue itself was only selling Bud and spirits, nothing else. No mention of this 'restriction' on the ticket, entrance to the venue or anywhere else I could see.

This is outrageous. Sponsering an event and getting the blanket coverage of your brand is one thing, but monopolising sales of all beer all night ? The bar staff were particularly unhappy as they took all the flak.

And the Bunnymen ? Tight as ever but Mac's voice is well dodgy.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

What?
    This has been happening for years.

Witnness - Guinness and Carlsberg
    Green Energy - Heineken
    Bud Rising - Bud

Without their sponsorship the gigs probably wouldn't be happening. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

They still sell vodka / whiskey??
    I'm going to Weezer and dont want to drink that piss.
    Rather hit the vodkas!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Evil Sausage

Was at Roots Manuva last night and noticed the same thing, but they were selling Guinness too, but that was muck.

But last years Bud Rising gigs in TBMC had a full bar, and no one was drinking Bud. Maybe they learned their lessons from last year! That or since MCD got involved, they have insisted on a few changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

dregin wrote:
    What?

Without their sponsorship the gigs probably wouldn't be happening. Get over it.

No problem with that - but it was'nt stated anywhere that only Bud would be sold at the gig.

And you're confusing sponsering an event with monopolising an event.

It backfired anyway, a lot of people came into the venue, saw only Bud and headed back out until the Bunnymen came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

they are spending an absolute fortune subsidising the gigs. e&tbm probably charged about 25K for a gig with an audience of about 500.

they also got the hives to play tonight and beck to play the olympia next monday :)

they can sell me pi.ss tbh.

• Advertisement

just thought - They probably will be selling Guinness, Carlsburg and Smithwicks as well, as these all come from the same brewery / distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

DON'T drink Guinness at a gig! That should be a once in a lifetime mistake!

Better off drinking a lagar/beer as its probably been watered down too much to harm you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I heard the charlatans were paid 60,000 on top of ticket sales last year.

should have requested them to play the pub with no beer, seeing as bud can't even be classed as a beer in some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

I assume this will be the same for the bud rising gigs in Lansdowne and Marlay though probably wont have spirits as an alternative there at all. Will just have to have a few proper drinks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I kind of expected this but I'm not happy. Budweiser is not beer. It is not beer. It is not beer. NOT BEER!

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    Budweiser is not beer. It is not beer. It is not beer. NOT BEER!

Here Here!!!
    I back this cheer..
    It just aint beer!!
    It's not just fear...
    It's really clear!!
    Listen with your ear...
    It's not beer!!
    Do you hear?
    NOT BEER!!!
    I shed a tear
    at does who call it beer,
    oh dear oh dear...

*bows*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Oh dear - only in Ireland that someone's enjoyment of a concert can be ruined by the unavailability of alocohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

penexpers wrote:
    Oh dear - only in Ireland that someone's enjoyment of a concert can be ruined by the unavailability of alocohol.

Oh dear - how presumptive and patronising.

I never said that it ruined my enjoyment. It did'nt.

I was making the point from a consumer rights point of view, not an alcoholics'.

penexpers wrote:

Actually I rarely drink at gigs but if I do have a pint or two (and that's all I ever buy, I'd much rather buy some CDs or more tickets) then I'd like to be able to pick what I want. Grow up, not everyone goes to a gig to drink but quite a lot of people enjoy a pint during a gig. I would imagine that Ireland is not the only country that people would moan if you could only buy Budweiser at a gig. Imagine trying to pull that stunt in France or Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Just wait until the so called "cafe society" is being pushed by the nanny state & all you can get at a gig is carte noir!!! :D

John2 wrote:
    Actually I rarely drink at gigs but if I do have a pint or two (and that's all I ever buy, I'd much rather buy some CDs or more tickets) then I'd like to be able to pick what I want. Grow up, not everyone goes to a gig to drink but quite a lot of people enjoy a pint during a gig. I would imagine that Ireland is not the only country that people would moan if you could only buy Budweiser at a gig. Imagine trying to pull that stunt in France or Germany.

Actually, it happens quite alot on the continent, especially at festivals, which Bud Rising effectively is. At three festivals I've been to now, they were selling only one brand of beer.

Oh dear - how presumptive and patronising.

I never said that it ruined my enjoyment. It did'nt.

I was making the point from a consumer rights point of view, not an alcoholics'.

It annoyed you enough that you posted about it (and only mentioned the music in passing)

And a venue has a right to sell whatever drinks it wants, nothing in consumer rights about that.

penexpers wrote:
    Actually, it happens quite alot on the continent, especially at festivals, which Bud Rising effectively is. At three festivals I've been to now, they were selling only one brand of beer.
    It's kinda related - Bud are the main beer sponsors of the World Cup In Germany next year.
    That means that have exclusive rights to sell in the stadiums.
    Imagine that... in Germany, the home of so many fine beers, they are restricted to selling American piss!

penexpers wrote:

I've been to a good few gigs across Europe and some of them have been sponsered in a similar way to Bud Rising and I could buy the normal range of drink at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

at the Carling weekend in england, and at any of the Carling Academy gigs all you can get is Carling Beer, Strongbow Cider, Smirnoff or Jack Daniels and that's it

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    I've been to a good few gigs across Europe and some of them have been sponsered in a similar way to Bud Rising and I could buy the normal range of drink at them.

So? Your point was "imagine if they tried to pull that stunt in France or Germany" and my point was they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Toast wrote:
    I assume this will be the same for the bud rising gigs in Lansdowne and Marlay though probably wont have spirits as an alternative there at all. Will just have to have a few proper drinks in advance.
    Stash a hip flash in. There is never much of a queue to the coke stands.

I actually thought they couldnt sell bud in germany as it is not a beer and so is false advertising. Seems they are not allowed to advertise it.
    http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,1564,1435498,00.html

I'd be annoyed if there was some sort of show on in a resturant which usually served good food but was forced to eat only chicken mcnuggets since mcdonalds sponsored it.

I am not too annoyed when the choice is carlsberg, heineken, guinness or murphys, but BUD! Id sooner drink that urine coloured tesco value cider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I don't see it as a big deal if a drink company want to weigh in with some cash and bring great bands here and especially to smaller venues then i wouldn't care if they served piss water, although saying that I wouldn't drink it. Monopolising the drink on the night is the norm at all these drink sponsored events Guinness Cork Jazz, Heineken Green Room Sessions etc. etc.

If the tickets for the gig were cheap I could understand the point of sponsership but the prices of sponsered gigs in Ireland are about the same if not more expensive than gigs in Europe in similar sized venues. So where is that sponsership money going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭L.W

no bulmers...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

What makes you think Budweiser isn't beer?
    It's got fermented grain and is alcoholic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Blisterman wrote:
    It's got fermented grain

So does bread...

Blisterman wrote:
    What makes you think Budweiser isn't beer?
    It's got fermented grain and is alcoholic.

Technically it's beer like technically McDonalds is food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

glastonbury dont have sponsors and they seem to get along fine

even so, who cares! i dont even watch advertisements anymore and if i dont like the drink i bring my own....

sorted :cool:

+for those who think budweiser isnt beer.............. your right its beer thats been pissed in by rabid typhoid carrying rats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

rubadub wrote:
    Id sooner drink that urine coloured tesco value cider
    That's a savage slur up on Tesco Value Cider. It's a fine breakfast cider.

Advertisement