Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you hate and like most about DCU?

Options
  • 29-05-2005 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

DCU seems to be getting a lot of stick for being boring by other colleges on Boards.ie and since I have just finished 1st year, I hardly describe it as boring, the social life on my course was slow to start off with but in semester 2 there were nights out and parties every week. I didnt join many clubs or socs this year and I still had a very active year.

The best thing about dcu for me is that whenever you want a game of pool, theres always a table available!! and of course the social life!

The worst thing is that the good looking girls are mainly found in the library and obviously not the best place to talk to them!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I think DCU is great. I've been on other colleges this year with mates going there and cant say they were up to much. DIT were probably the best outside DCU. Trinity second and sorry to say UCD were by far the most boring college ever but thats just my experience. DCU puts them all to shame though I think. Great atmosphere whenever there's an event on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

best thing about dcu is that if you get involved you'll know everyone and make so many new friends

the worst is the lack of enthusism (sp!) from most of the student body

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You think its exciting now .. wait till Im back.

For me it wasnt terribly exciting. Then when you live two busses away you dont spend as much time in the college going out there as you should. Id say if people find it boring in the college then stop going in just for what you need to go in for and start hanging around the place. There is a lot to do there once you know people around the area and also go drinking there and what not.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

rugbug86 wrote:
    the worst is the lack of enthusism (sp!) from most of the student body

That's apparently a this year thing though rather than anything to do with DCU in particular. We've heard it from many other clubs and societies in other colleges. We can only hope that it was simply a "blip". But as always...the year is what you make of it. Sitting around and complaining about it just helps grow the problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

DCU gets a bad wrap on these boards.

It has its faults but I'd say I've had some of the best years of my life here. I met my girlfriend here, met lots of new people, got involved in some cool events and I've enjoyed the course too. I guess it depends on the person.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I'd agree with you totally there. It does depend on the person. I guess people just find it easier to give out about - hey we all need something to give out about. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭28064212

One of the best things about DCU is the fact that it's so well organised. My sister goes to UCD and some of the things she tells me about it are ridiculous, with regard to scheduling classes and publishing results.

Also I'm quite a fan of the bars and the venue. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I've always enjoyed them. They need to be a bit more pro-active promotion wise though. Towards the end of the semester, when they were doing the €3 drinks on Thursdays in response to Barcode and the like, I only found out about them on the Friday morning.

Worst thing is what rugbug said, lack of enthusiasm. Halenger said it was only this year, but I wouldn't have said it was any worse this year. Although I don't know the situation in other colleges.

Definitely right about the whole bad "wrap" thing. I can't quite figure out why people are always giving out about it.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I heard res was absolutely crap this year with no parties at all. Last year we had a party almost every night. Of course it destroyed the whole learning aspect of college, but it was the best year ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yeah I'd agree with that, res can be a bit of a hit or miss. If you're in an apartment with just your friends it can be class. Last year I had two friends in with me, and then two others. Whisch isn't to say that things weren't class, they were sound and everything, but if you're on different schedules and you're having friends from outside college it can be a bit of a pain. If it's just you and you're mates, everybody's going to be partying at the same time.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RWL

I dont know about res but Shanowen were definitely having parties, I went to one after the Summer ball,absolutely great night!! The security lad came up and asked to lower the music but that was it, of course the music wasnt lowered but we didnt hear from the lad for the rest of the night/morning.

I still dont understand why we get a bad wrap, for instance we don't have the divisions like ucd between the northsiders and the southsiders, we dont have the so called pretentious trinner winner folks either,no offence trinity people but the name didnt evolve out of nothing and i dont have a problem with anyone from trinity either but they are associated in that context.

But for DCU we havent been given a stereotypical name yet, which has to be good, my friends from college come from all over Ireland and I being a northside probably have more southside friends ironically.

I think for these reasons DCU should deserve a lot more respect ,the people who say it is boring have only themselves to blame because theres no way its boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

\o/ Feel the love!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I was on res loads of times this year and sometimes the security were cool and other times they were really bad. And as was said if you think its boring its only because your not doing anything thats made available. Have to say summer ball was one of the best nights ive ever been part of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thefuturehead

best things about dcu:
    - can't fault the educational side. the vast,vast majority of lecturers i've had are approachable and know their stuff.
    - like dublin's finest, i have met some great people and been involved in good events and all that...

worst things about dcu:
    - the atmos can be a bit dead at times

Advertisement