Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to go or not to go-to DCU next year

Options
  • 27-05-2005 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

I'm in a pickle. I have to choose between Trinity and DCU for my CAO.
    I prefer the courses in Trinty ( European Studies and Sociology/Spanish are my 1st/2nd choices).
    But alot of my friends want to do courses in DCU, and I don't want to be on my own in Trinity :(
    I could live with European Bussiness German/Spanish, but the business bit doesn't look very exciting, and to be honest neither does the social life in DCU!
    So if you could honestly tell me your experiences of DCU, i would much appreciate it! Spanks! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Don't go to DCU just because your friends are going. You're clearly more interested in the Trinity course so do it! I can't tell you much about Trinity but I'm sure you will make friends if you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

Yep, I agree ^ I think you should do the course you really want to do in Trinity rather than settling for something in DCU because your friends are going there. Having your school friends in the same college as you won't help you much if you end up unhappy in your course.

Don't worry about being on your own in Trinity; most people there will be in the same situation as you. Everyone's nervous starting out so people are really friendly and you'll make lots of new friends. Trinity and DCU aren't exactly a million miles away so you'll still be able to meet up and go out with your old friends.

Also, if you start off in DCU with a group of school friends, chances are you'll all stick together for the first few weeks and won't meet as many new people as you would if you were on your own. If they're good friends, you'll stay in touch regardless of what college you're in.

Well that's just my 2c. Im not going to tell you that DCU > Trinity because it all depends on what you put into it. Once you're happy in the course you've chosen and you're willing to make an effort to enjoy college life, you should be just fine. But realising that you've chosen the wrong course is not fun, believe me. I've been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

DCU is alright - did 4 years there, the night life is a bit slow (according to my bro whos there now). Go for the course you want, not the ones your friends want. In the end yous are all in Dublin, get a bus if you have to!

DCU is really only better for Computers or it use to be anyway. Plus you have to play hacky-sack,fresbie and cricket in Trinity ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

thanks yous guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Impressed to see a lack of trin-bashing :)

<dated ali g impression>

respect..

</dagi>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Trinity blows :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

now now, we never said that DCU sucks or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Quite the opposite in fact..

Ah I know Creature's only jesting

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I intended to go to Trinity as all my mates went there, didn't pan out that way though.

Still a bit miffed ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

sounds corny but go with your heart, choose the course not the people. if they're decent mates you'll still see them, and you'll make new friends wherever you end up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Definitely go to the college that has the course you want.
    You'll still be able to go out with your mates, the buses to DCU go from westmoreland street, right next to trinity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

All the 11s go from DCU, past Trinity to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The 11B is the only one which stops in UCD, the 11 runs alongside the west border of it and the 11A runs along the west and south borders of it.

Wow that was pointless

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Not forgetting the 13s which run from DCU to Trinity and the 19A which runs from DCU and stops just down Dame St.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thefuturehead

don't mind all that nonsense about where you friends are going. i fell out with all my friends from "back home" (ie blanchardstown) at the end of first year. and if i'd been stuck in the same college as them, i might have cracked up.

go with the course and college you really want. you shouldn't regret it. unless you're hot, in which case you should definitely come to dcu.

apologies for the sexism of the above comment. you wouldn't hear anything like that in trinity...

Advertisement