Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rules for Photo Challenges

Options
  • 26-05-2005 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Rules:
    Basic edits in a art package of your choice to include:
    Sharpness/ soften
    Brightness/ contrast
    Cropping
    minor cloning to remove dust and unwanted elements (must be very minor)
    No filters or any external graphic elements on picture
    Any borders are permitted, also Frames

Your entry must come from a single photograph. You may not post-process your entry from or to include elements of multiple images, multiple exposures, clip art, computer-rendered images, or elements from other photographs, and other similar items.

Nudity is an acceptable form of art. Photographs may not, however, show a penis or a vagina or any acts of sex. Nudity should be presented in a tasteful manner.

Cloning, dodging, and/or burning to remove imperfections and minor distracting elements is permitted, however using tools to duplicate, create, or move major elements of your photograph is not. You are encouraged to list all of the post-shot editing tools that you used when submitting a photograph.

Any modification done inside a digital camera itself is considered acceptable for challenge submission.

All entries must included the following:-
    A) Location picture is taken.
    B) Camera settings if able.
    D) Camera Make and model.

Anyone found entering other peoples pictures (i.e. pictures found on the Internet) will be disqualified and perhaps banned from future challenges. Depending on the severity of the offence and/or my mood at the time.

Entries are accepted from anything or anyone with the ability to take a photograph.

Remember no prizes are available as this is for fun and learning but there will be buckets of kudos and patting on the back for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place entrants.

Details on how to enter your picture will be provided when the challenge begins. One entry per person please, any subsequent entries from the same person will be deleted. Please keep the longest side of your images at 800px, it makes life alot easier for people to view and judge photos when there isn't a scrollbar in the equation.

The URL to view all entered photos will be made available when judging commences. Voting will be facilitated by a poll in the Photo Challenge board. One vote per person. Don't vote for your own photo, lets try to keep this as honest as possible.

Details have yet to be finalised for the challenges. The time frame for entries is likely to be the 1st to the 15th/20th of the month and judging will take place from the 16th/21st to the end of the month. This is subject to change however.

Any ideas or comments/questions please PM me and i will review

Go forth and take pictures....good luck

As always, watch this space for any future updates & changes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

It occured to me that I was going soft a bit on my own rules so here's a quick refresh.

It's getting about as simple as if you don't stick to the above (and below) your entry will be deleted.

1. There is no restriction on the height and width of images, although you should try to keep entries to between 800 and 1000 pixels on the longest side. Anything above that is likely to be either resized by a viewers browser or have scrollbars placed along it's side.
    2. Absolutely no images above 1MB.
    3. No links to images, send images as attachments.
    4. No zip files.
    5. Entries are accepted in web viewable formats only; preferably jpg.
    6. All entered files should carry your boards username or real name. For example, rymus.jpg.

Further to #3 above, I realise that one or two people rely on internet cafe's to submit images while travelling but if you can upload an image to your web server/photo album you can attach it in an email. I'll happily supply anyone that wants one with a gmail account if they haven't already got one.

21st Dec 05 - Rule 6 Change: In the interest of having a quick entry to judging turnaround time, all entered files should have a filename of either your boards username or real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I dont know if theres a better place to post this. But i think that maybe the time for the competitions are a bit long. It sould be 1 week as a post to 2. Just a suggestion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Quick question regarding the competition, does the photo have to be taken during the period of the challenge, or can you use a picture from your collection that covers the topic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I the think the 800 pixel limit is a bit small.
    How about 1024?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

800 is fine to be honest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Can my daughter who is 13 enter using my user name?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Just sign her up with her own account with be easyest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

sinecurea wrote:
    I the think the 800 pixel limit is a bit small.
    How about 1024?

S.
    Yup agree on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

its fine the way it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sonx

To see photography getting some credit as an art, it truely is.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Read all the rules but can't see how you submit an entry..ie email or ftp or post?

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

m8 wrote: »
    Read all the rules but can't see how you submit an entry..ie email or ftp or post?

Thanks ;)

Keep an eye on the specific thread for the challenge - DarrenG who appears to be our photo challenge hosting benefactor will post a link to the place on each challenge. You need to create an account there, login, do an upload to the folder which he creates and then wait for the voting to go live (you won't see your entry until it goes live).

Thats about all really.

EDIT: The same account does you then for subsequent challenges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

cannot seem to get my registration email

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

You sure you entered a correct email address? I just tried a test registration and it's working fine for me.

PM with the email you entered and I'll check it against the one you registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

Can you tell me how to post pictures for the photo chalenges. I've been following the last few challenges and i'd like to take part. I haven't been able to find out how to post pics for this. thanks, YeGods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There is a pretty good guide in the Newbies & FAQ forum
    Overheal wrote: »
    Embedded Images

When you wish to embed an image such as this:

supercat.jpg

[noparse]supercat.jpg[/noparse]

You must use the direct link to the image file (ie. the URL you enter must end in a .jpg or .bmp or .png, etc etc.)

In Internet Explorer: Right Click on the image you want, and select Properties to find the direct image URL.

In Firefox: Right Click the image you want, and select Copy Image Location then simply paste the link in-between the IMG tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

Thanks,

I'll check it out straigt away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Remember the photo challenges are somewhat different to the assignments which are ongoing. Rules for the assignments threads are located at the start of each individual thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Anzac_11

Can anyone tell me how to use the 'thanks' system please? Thanks :rolleyes:

Anzac_11 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to use the 'thanks' system please? Thanks :rolleyes:

You have to click the little 'Thanks' Icon post_thanks.gif at the bottom right of each post.

I don't think you can do it until you have 25 posts :(

Maybe post some pictures and we'll thank you until you get 25 posts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I believe, you have to have 25 posts before you get a thanks button.

Tallon wrote: »
    You have to click the little 'Thanks' Icon post_thanks.gif at the bottom right of each post.

Thanks Tallon, At first I thought I was going blind (no 'thanks button), but now understand as I'm still a newby here. :) Will have to get 'shooting' then. All my photos (tons) do not fall into the new competition dates. Thanks.
    You don't seem to have that problem with your 3,747 posts...lol.

Well, at least I learnt something else today, thanks to you again.
    4478_123332404096_775394096_2787518_1828712_n.jpg
    I believe, you have to have 25 posts before you get a thanks button.

Thank you Slidinginfinity (luv your name :) ) Will be back soon.

Anzac_11 wrote: »
    Will have to get 'shooting' then. All my photos (tons) do not fall into the new competition dates. Thanks.

Not to worry, post your favourite ones here

Just have a quick read of the rules in the first post, but theres no time frame limitation :)

Not to worry, post your favourite ones here

Just have a quick read of the rules in the first post, but theres no time frame limitation :)

Thanks Tallon, don't tempt me :D. This thread could be swamped with my photos...lol.

I'm not sure if I'm on the wrong track but this is what I read in the Photo challenge:

Theme: Summer lovin'

No examples - let your imaginations run wild

The rules:
    *Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date midnight Monday 5th of July.
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 21st of June onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post).

Am I tackling the cat by the tail or what? :eek:

While I'm at it (you did say I could...lol) :P

draft_lens11281461module103554041photo_1275255202nosedive.jpg

PS: Feeling so silly now. Only realized now that 'here' (is a link) and was not actually 'here'... lol. (hiding face in shame.) Soz, no more images 'here' :))))

Thanks for all your help... I have the 'power now' !! :D Qualified for my 'thanks' button today, so watch out, here I come.

Ok, just wanted to say thanks to everyone that gave me such good advise and helped me. Thank You !!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭redto

Not sure if I am posting in correct place but with a week or two weeks as the time limit it does prevent or certainly curtail anyone who still shoots in film from entering. We got 24 or 36 shots, less for medium format, on a roll. Personally I might take a shot or 10 or a roll or 2 depending on situation, then I got to get developed an printed which can take a week plus to turn around. (I'm from the west so its post and wait for negs to come back) If I had took one or two shots on a fresh roll I would have to 'waste' the rest of the film to get into competition.

Maybe there are not enough people to enter but maybe an occasional competition for film only or one with an extended deadline to allow film shooters to enter might be on cards?

If I posted this in wrong place sorry , someone with a higher authority might move it to the correct place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 terrence109

I hope this will provide great help for everyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ciarafoto_ops

hi everyone!

it mentions no filers in the rules - would sepia count as a filter? sorry if this is a stupid question I'm only new :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

If you are unsure you can send the challenge owner a PM - or Private Message, or even ask in the thread. Usually the rules are pretty clear but sometimes there can be room for uncertainty and I'm sure that posting in the thread won't be a problem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Ciarafoto_ops

Thanks for your help Tiriel!!

The photography community is so so helpful :)

Advertisement