Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common grammar mistakes that get on your nerves?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I hate 'alot'.

In that pole I hate the mix up of you're and your the most.
    It's almost as bad as people who mix up 'pole' and 'poll' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I dislike the increasingly common use of 'amount of' where 'number of' should be used instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Alun wrote:
    It's almost as bad as people who mix up 'pole' and 'poll' :D
    :D
    For the second time today I will say; I need to lay off the coffee. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

Now that I think about it, I have another one. Apologies if it's been posted before.

=> Using 'less' when the correct word is 'fewer'. The former is used to refer to amounts, and the latter to numbers.

This egregious error crops up mainly in supermarkets - the black hole of grammar - viz. 'Ten items or less'.

Marks and Spencer use the right word though. Unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

PunyHuman wrote:
    Now that I think about it, I have another one. Apologies if it's been posted before.

=> Using 'less' when the correct word is 'fewer'. The former is used to refer to amounts, and the latter to numbers.

This egregious error crops up mainly in supermarkets - the black hole of grammar - viz. 'Ten items or less'.

Marks and Spencer use the right word though. Unsurprisingly.

Eh, I bet you *didn't* discover that when you googled "I amn't grammatically incorrect"* and clicked on the 2nd link from the BBC website§ and found the reference to I amn't- which coincidentally was contained in the comment from a man who referenced Marks & Spencers being the only retailer using the grammatically correct "10 items or fewer".

You, my friend, are PWNED. :v:

Screen shot of pure pwnage.

*ahem

§ cough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Should of...

Would of...

If I read that one more time I'm going to punch my computer screen...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Shabadu wrote:
    Eh, I bet you *didn't* discover that when you googled "I amn't grammatically incorrect"* and clicked on the 2nd link from the BBC website§ and found the reference to I amn't- which coincidentally was contained in the comment from a man who referenced Marks & Spencers being the only retailer using the grammatically correct "10 items or fewer".

You, my friend, are PWNED. :v:

She's right you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

GaRtH_V wrote:
    She's right you know

No, she isn't. I am right; always have been :)

Shabadu wrote:
    Eh, I bet you *didn't* discover that when you...

I actually didn't, which is a pretty strange coincidence.

I noticed the less/fewer thing, with satisfaction, in M&S when I was doing my Christmas shopping.

Whyever would I google "I amn't gramatically correct"? The term I googled to get more info was "less/fewer" which brought me here.

Funny that.

I will only accept craven apologies on scented notepaper, damp with tears of sorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

simu wrote:
    "I done it" - really annoys me.
    I think it's more of a Cork thing than anything else, but it drives me nuts too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Denial only compounds your pwnage, PunyHuman; you must repent and make restitution!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

My God .... read thru the whole lot and no mention of my favourite...beloved of John Creedon and all inhabitants of Munster....

LEFT.... "The doorman left me in"

He LET you in, you barneuk... he should have left you outside

Aaaaaaaaaaargh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Praetorian wrote:
    You are breaking one of the rules of the forum. Do it again and you will feel my wrath.

A tad harsh Mr Mod.... If some geezer starts a "grammar" thread ..he/she should get it right....

I'm with the smartass dude:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Somebody waiting 'on' a bus instead of 'for' a bus, e.g. 'I'm waiting on a bus'.
    What exactly are they doing, are they sitting on the roof of a bus?

Seen in a fishing tackle shop in Celbridge: 'live bate sold here'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ed D.

"I feel badly about..." All over the place in the States the last several years. Your fingertips look fine and you feel bad. May not sound as smart, but happens to be correct.

Advertisement