Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green, white and gold(???)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tonyinuae

On another irish site I contribute to, this whole question (Irish nationalism, the North, Independence etc.) is a really vexed one. Some of the contributors are from the North, and others are dyed-in-the-wool Brits Out type Republicans. Well, fair enough, everyone has the right to their opinion.

But I foolishly aired my less-than-extreme moderate views regarding the North and the UK, and was roundly, and personally, denounced for it. This site (boards.ie) appears to have a majority of younger contributors, and I have the feeling the younger generation are less extreme in their views - am I right in this? I sure hope so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

Don't know now... I think there will always be extremists. Those motivated to post on a political forum will probably be quite close to extremists of SOME position. And, in my experience in my home town at least, the youngsters are more likely to be vocal in their support for extremists - listen to everyone shout "up the 'ra" next time you're in a country pub...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Seems odd devoting 2/3rds of a flag to a group who don't want it, but hey they'd have the deciding vote in a 32 county country.

Religion has absolutely nothing to do with the trouble in the north. Politically, the unionists tend to come from CofE and Presbyterian backgrounds, and SinnFeiners from Catholic, but that's not what caused the troubles or the Irish War of Independence or any Fenian rebellion that took place in the south.

I was born into the Church of Ireland, lived in quiet Dublin suburbs for 13 years, then the folks moved to quiet Tyrone suburbs that's where home is now. I, and all of my Church of Ireland friends in Dublin, where Im in college, would call themselves Irish, vote, pay taxes to the government, go to Irish Universities. Your statement and such expressions like it are obsolete in today's Ireland. I am very proud that hurtful discrimination towards both Catholics and Protestants can be acknowledged and, even symbolically, repented for, on the national flag.

like most other people I always though it was republicians feeling unhappy with the orange and so dropping it. But i had a mad nationlist school teacher long long time ago who claimed that the gold reperested the Vatician colours

I think there is a big problem with how Irish History is taught in all primary schools both Catholic and mixed Protestants. Too biased... two different religious schools where I grew up in Booterstown - two classes learned different histories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

[font=&quot]Let me introduce myself: I'm a non-Irish lad with the habit to ask silly questions about Irish stuff.
    The question that intrigues me at the moment concerns the colours of the national flag of the Republic of Ireland. As far as I know these are clearly described as "Green, white and orange", but in many song lyrics the colours are described as "Green, white and gold". The question is obvious know: why is that? I just can't image that these song writers are colour-blind.
    Although I sleep well despite this pressing question (thank you), I definitely would like to know the answer.
    Happy Typing,
    Vincent
    [/font]

Poetic licence, I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dfitzer

The reason singers refer to the green white and gold is quite simple - how many words can you put in a song that rhyme with orange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭freefromgov

Ok guys... lets see how you do with this one... why do the different harps on the irish flags have different numbers of strings... 15 on the presidential seal 14 on the back of the euro coins in your pocket 13 on the courts 12 on the sovereign seal of the people etc... there are many more ... 9 on passports 12 driving licences some banks have 5/6 string harps ... oh! and there is a reason for it, also look at the constitution and look at article 7 .... is that the flag you see flying in dail éireann ?? really look again "Gold Fringe" surrounding the flag !!! that means it's an admiralty flag ( they got the flag surrounded ...get it?) this fringe (or rag on the flag as i have heard it called) does not belong there and only appeared in feb 2007 I Believe.... Oh also look on page 62 of hotpress magazine to see (apparently) the real President of the republic of Ireland.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

wtf? vamp thread begone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement