Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stalking Pete Doherty

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

No, I saw that already. I can use google too :D Its not a university, a college, or a 3rd level institution of any description. Just some dodgy meeja training agency.

MMM is his production company that made a documentary about UK sci fi.

Unfortunately none of this disporoves, or for that matter even suggests, that stalking pete doherty was not an enormous spoof.

As I said before, I'm even more suspicious of the guy if he taught media studies, just means hes more likely to be aware of Chris Morris and what you can get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

magpie wrote:
    No, I saw that already. I can use google too :D Its not a university, a college, or a 3rd level institution of any description. Just some dodgy meeja training agency.

MMM is his production company that made a documentary about UK sci fi.

Unfortunately none of this disporoves, or for that matter even suggests, that stalking pete doherty was not an enormous spoof.

As I said before, I'm even more suspicious of the guy if he taught media studies, just means hes more likely to be aware of Chris Morris and what you can get away with.

Is that what defines a student, if a person gets instruction from anything else what are they???

Now less about your stupidity and back to the subject, of course its a piss take, IMO, and very elaborate at that.
    in a few weeks time it will all unravel :D

less about your stupidity

:rolleyes:

In various blurbs he's described as a college lecturer, and even a 'professor' of media studies. Normally when someone calls themselves a student there is an implication of attending some kind of college, so don't be so literal. Anyhoo, that's a moot point because:

At least you have the brains to spot this for what it is, which makes 2 of us so far, so less bickering.
    in a few weeks time it will all unravel

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

magpie wrote:
    **** you!

But at least you have the brains to spot this for what it is, which makes 2 of us so far.

CVNT.JPG:D

cow-tongue-thumb.jpg

chair c unt cow? wtf? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

I had a look at the picture in the Guardian and this Max Carlish guy looks very like this lad who was on a documentary series about life in Soho, if it's the same guy it's definitely not a spoof, this lad was a photographer and was constantly dropping names and trying to look cool for the camera.

If anyone hears of a repeat being shown can they post it in here, I'm intrigued now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ThatBloke wrote:
    I had a look at the picture in the Guardian and this Max Carlish guy looks very like this lad who was on a documentary series about life in Soho, if it's the same guy it's definitely not a spoof, this lad was a photographer and was constantly dropping names and trying to look cool for the camera.

If anyone hears of a repeat being shown can they post it in here, I'm intrigued now.

I know the guy you're talking about and it's not him, although he is as equally annoying as him. The guy you're talking about had a shaved head?

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Why would it be a spoof? Is it so hard to believe that this guy has some personality disorder and questionable sexuality??
    I was reading on another forum that he does lecture in some english university and most of them were incredibly shocked to see him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

magpie wrote:
    No, not him, the guy who was supposedly one of Max's students that he brought along to the gig, who looked like Alex Zane from MTV and was obviously an actor.

ah, k...lol

wud hav to be a helluvan elaborate spoof.still think its just a sad saddo.we will find out i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

It's not a spoof.

Do some work magpie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

BaZmO* wrote:
    I know the guy you're talking about and it's not him, although he is as equally annoying as him. The guy you're talking about had a shaved head?

B.
    Yeah, he was on a documentary series that went out about a year back on late night ITV. Did everything for effect, that kind of guy, had a shaved head alright.

I didn't see the yoke, it's not the same guy then? Looks really like him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

magpie wrote:
    Seriously, if that's not taking the piss I don't know what is. You just think this is unintentionally funny? Please.

magpie the dude is bi polar. He keeps talking about being a BAFTA winning filmaker, when in fact he just worked on a documentary which won a BAFTA. The guardian the newspaper you quoted used comma's around his status as a a "filmaker", which makes it dubious that they're in on the joke, and seeing as the guardian's tv critic co wrote nathan barley, they'd get the joke. But there isn't one. And you read the article online, I read it in print, it features a photo of the guy looking very dubious. The fact that he's not a media creation should surely be evident in the fact that said interview took place months ago. Would you create a character featured in an incident back in february, then a film a few months later, and back date his fame to his claims he won a BAFTA years ago.

It was then that I realised just how smart he was - he rhymed green with spleen and even understood the medieval meaning of the word spleen.

If you don't think this is taking the p1ss then you are more gullible than I would have thought possible.

magpie wrote:
    If you don't think this is taking the p1ss then you are more gullible than I would have thought possible.

Jeez man, let it go. Yes there has been many elaborate wind ups down through the years. But I find it hard to believe that somebody doing a wind up would go to the extreme of selling pictures of a star quite openly doing heroin for a bit of extra cash.

B.

Chillax magpie.

cant wait to see who has to look sheepish and eat their words when this is resolved

;)

An interesting interview:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14934-1609127,00.html

Once again with some classic p1ss taking
    The next film I’m thinking about is an exploration of my ambiguous relationship with my Jewishness. It’s called Circumcise Me and it may feature my live circumcision. I don’t know whether I’m prepared to do that or not.

:D

Toby Young has another take on it: http://www.tobyyoung.co.uk/blog_13/max_carlish_performance_artist.html
    In other words, this wasn't a film about Pete Doherty, but a piece of post-modernist, media expressionism authored by Max Carlish.

eh whatnow?

You mean you don't know what post-modernist media expressionism is? No wonder you were taken in ;):p

magpie wrote:

Yet from the same article, first line actually!
    MC: I think it’s a really gripping piece. As you know, I didn’t have editorial control over it, so it’s not quite the film I would have made

Draw your own conclusions...

B.

:eek:

lol

Yeah that must be it.Hoodwinked again by those Lyotard-wearing, Habermas-knowing, Jameson-living media expressionists

;)

• Advertisement

Incidentally I'm making a documentary about the making of this thread. Max Carlish is going to be editing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

*Rolls eyes* this argument over whether or not it was a piss-take or not is almost as tedious as that bloke himself was...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

in all fairness, the documentary pointed out several times that max carlish is bipolar. if it was a spoof (which i'm not saying it isn't), would it not be extremely politically incorrect to keep reiterating this poitn throughout? then again, chris morris isn't exactly mister PC now is he.
    i don't think it was a pisstake. i think it was just some eejit who thinks he can use a camera and is trying to reclaim his status as a bafta-winning filmmaker (hah)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

magpie wrote:
    On the balcony overlooking the cemetery:

Doherty "lots of my relatives out there"
    Charlish "really?"
    Doherty "yeah... and my uncle stan, he burned himself to death"
    Charlish "that's called immolation, self-immolation"
    Doherty "no, he burned himself to death"
    Classic Spinal Tap!

It made me warm a lot to Doherty, who I always thought was a no-talent junkie. He had a very funny, comedic side to him. The above scene was a classic, on the face of it, it looked like Carlish was showing Doherty up to be foolish, but I think Doherty really knew what 'immolation' meant and with lightening-timing, turned it against Carlish.

Max Carlish, I'm afraid, is horribly real. No one would be genius enough to be able to act out that sad persona so completely.

I also thought it painfully sad how he said that "We've just finished recording the B-Side" and how he constantly referred to himself as a 'professor' when he's just some visiting lecturer at a media-studies class in some grim UK Polytechnic.

There's no doubt he suffers from some sort of mental illness, but it's also painfully obvious that there's a degree of 'tosser' thrown into the mix as well.

One of the best pieces of TV I've seen in a long while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cheeba

Ah magpie. I dig your optimism and if Max Carlish knew what was good for him he would lift his arms up and say "Yes, it was all a big joke" But unfortunately Mr Carlish does not know what is good for him, hence his apalling performance and the fact that his career in TV is probably over.
    I met Max Carlish 2 years ago and for three months we discussed collaborating on a project. I gave him some benefit of the doubt due to the bafta that he constantly waves in everyones face. But my doubts were not confirmed and yes, he is the ridiculous deluded and pretentious twat that we all witnessed in his... "Documentary". He is not the practical joking Genius that your imagining he is, he is an imbecile. So I'm afraid there will be no grand hoax unveiling, no "haha I got you all"'s just the realisation that people as absurd as Max Carlish really do exist.
    So Magpie. Take my advice; Don't hold your breath.

Welcome to Boards Max. Congratulations on your first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cheeba

Ok, your headstrong, I like that. But there'll be an egg shortage if you carry on like this.
    How could it have been a hoax?
    I mean, ok so it hasn't done Pete Doherty that much harm, perhaps even a little good (well lets face it, he wasn't at the top of his game anyway). But it could have gone terribly wrong. Practical jokes are one thing but selling photos of someone doing smack to the tabloids is just going to far. Pete could have ended up doing serious time or just losing the plot completely. Winding up a politician is one thing but doing what he did to one of the most fragile souls in Britain is hardly humour is it.
    Max Carlish is a very strange lad. He is sycophantic to the point of creepy and he was like this within minutes of meeting me. I didn't think for a moment that he was trying to "seduce me" I just thought that he had low self esteam. Anyway, the point I'm making is that If this was a joke, it would have to be the sickest, most elaborate, most unrewarding, career destroying, self destructive, dangerous and ,quite frankly, unfunny joke ever conceived. And if I was Max Carlish I would be in the Cargo hold of the next ship to Katmando travelling under the name of Suzy McGee, Coz that Fat F*** is finished!

Please, you're going to suffocate!

Stop the madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I've discussed this a thousand times and more...

the same conclusion keeps on coming up...

Max Carlish is a stupid bastard, he deserved a punch. What made it interesting was the intertextuality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dinkydoo

I can ASSURE you that Max Carlish is very real.

See this BBC interview for him talking about a documentary in 2001 - he was clearly no different then..........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1310000/video/_1310310_biggs08_carlish_vi.ram

Believe now?

Advertisement