Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Didn't you tell us before that Z1 was a 1927 Dublin number?

Yes you got the correct information in the past, Z.... was first introduced on 3/27 and lasted until 1/40 and then on the 2.71 ....Z was introduced and lasted just four months.

As regards Z I, its possible that the owner of the new Lotus was able to show information to Dublin Motor Tax that the vehicle was scrapped and for a fee of around £25.00, Z 1 would have been issued to the new Lotus. That was quite common back in the seventies, where older registration numbers could be transferred to newly registered vehicles and not imported used ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Sids Not wrote: »
    It was just the "400" body kit with a few tweeks, like the extended front wing corners to meet the bumper and then a rear bumper cut to make the corner bumpers....the nose was pulled up to accomodate the home made grill...a pair of fiat 124 headlights, bought new back then..:rolleyes:...At the back the corners were filled and capri mk1 tail-lights behind a black perspex cover and again a home-made grill, powder-coated black....rear window louvre (very 80's..:D..)...15" alleycats....Later on the engine was swopped for a Fiat twin cam and a lsd from one of Austin Mc Cale's cast off's.....
    Then much later on it was sold to the local pikey's for £150 still looking as good as in pix.............:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    If we knew then....blah blah...
    Its cool in an 80s night rider sort of way!to sell it for 150 is a sickner though....:eek:
    69552.jpg

PanhardPL wrote: »
    Yes you got the correct information in the past, Z.... was first introduced on 3/27 and lasted until 1/40 and then on the 2.71 ....Z was introduced and lasted just four months.

As regards Z I, its possible that the owner of the new Lotus was able to show information to Dublin Motor Tax that the vehicle was scrapped and for a fee of around £25.00, Z 1 would have been issued to the new Lotus.
    £25.00 eh,wish unusual numbers were as cheap now...
    I wonder what Z 1 was on originally?Its a great plate!
    1 Z is on an Alfa romeo according to cartell.
    that was quite common back in the 70s where older registration numbers could be transferred to newly registered vehicles and not imported used ones

I think there was some discussion on here before about guys getting imported vehicles on scrapped regs when they shouldnt have been able to.Suppose it was all down to who you knew;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Out for a bit of fresh air
    IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0792-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

nice jammerz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Onkle wrote: »
    ?? Are you going to tell us?

Ah god no, its far to interesting to tell here...

Well ok:pac:

It was bought by the current owner with a U.K reg in '74.
    He thought it was a case of driving it down to the customs and registering it.

But at the time there was a law that stopped people importing cars unless they were motor traders.

The car was confiscated by the customs and impounded in the north of Ireland.

So he had to strip the car completley in a lock up in the six counties and import 'used car parts' bit by bit, nut and bolt, cut the chassis in two etc. and put it all back together when all the bits were here!!!

Didn't you tell us before that Z1 was a 1927 Dublin number?

It was originally on a Renault.

£25.00 eh,wish unusual numbers were as cheap now...
    I wonder what Z 1 was on originally?Its a great plate!
    1 Z is on an Alfa romeo according to cartell.

I think there was some discussion on here before about guys getting imported vehicles on scrapped regs when they shouldnt have been able to.Suppose it was all down to who you knew;):p

1 Z was on a green GTV 1750.

Kevin..you the man!! thanks for all that info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Did that yellow Lotus spend time stored in a garage near Cabinteely about 15 or more years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

DaveCol wrote: »
    Did that yellow Lotus spend time stored in a garage near Cabinteely about 15 or more years ago?
    I took the pic in Cabinteely, for what it's worth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Possibly the worst pic ever - but my phone can't take a sharp shot to save it's life. Also I only slowed down as I was driving past!

dec_322_thumb.jpg
    Clicky for larger

Blackrock on the 3rd Jan. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Looks like an American-spec. Mercedes going by the indicators on the front of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

My first pic - hope it hasn't been posted before.
    Humber Super Snipe [I think] spotted in Fade Street at the weekend
    Picture_087_thumb.jpg

Edit: Can anyone tell me how I can reduce this pic to a reasonable size?
    For now I'll just put up the thumbnail.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

2CV down the IFSC this afternoon: Image0021.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hermy wrote: »
    Edit: Can anyone tell me how I can reduce this pic to a reasonable size?
    For now I'll just put up the thumbnail.
    I installed a little MS app to my PC that allows me to resize a JPG by just right-clicking on it; and choosing a new size. I usually do that before using the http://wthax.org/ site you used.

.exe file here, or MS site here (look for Image Resizer). :)

By the way, is it just me or is there a ghost cartoon dog in your picture!

Thanks a lot Dades,
    I'll investigate those links.
    And the dog you refer to is Broc.:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Dades wrote: »
    I installed a little MS app to my PC that allows me to resize a JPG by just right-clicking on it; and choosing a new size. I usually do that before using the http://wthax.org/ site you used.

.exe file here, or MS site here (look for Image Resizer). :)

By the way, is it just me or is there a ghost cartoon dog in your picture!
    Didnt know there was a powertoy for image resizing, i normally use a program called image resizer or irfanview but this looks handier.

1982 louth reg Porsche 911 for sale in aherns garage in castleisland today
    Had the nice reg SZY 911,yours for the tidy sum of Eu17.500...
    Apologies for the dark pic..must upgrade the phone..:rolleyes:

Image908.jpg

Any takers?:P

• Advertisement

You're right,the one in aherns didnt look anything like that...
    CB4_1170558_9_683247.jpg

You're right,the one in aherns didnt look anything like that...
    CB4_1170558_9_683247.jpg

I'm not a fan of the white ZV plates though.. Second time i've seen them on a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

To be honest, this one's pushing it a bit with the original year of manufacture being 1966!
    By that time the 911's had a shorter wheel base, which changed in 1968, after which effectively you could rebuild any Porsche 911 to take the body of a mid eighties example. But not this one, without changing the chassis quite dramatically.
    I would therefore be very carefull in making sure that they didn't just weld in an old chassis number here since all the other elements, like engine, interior, body panels seem almost untouched...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Very dodgy, wouldn't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    To be honest, this one's pushing it a bit with the original year of manufacture being 1966!
    By that time the 911's had a shorter wheel base, which changed in 1968, after which effectively you could rebuild any Porsche 911 to take the body of a mid eighties example. But not this one, without changing the chassis quite dramatically.
    I would therefore be very carefull in making sure that they didn't just weld in an old chassis number here since all the other elements, like engine, interior, body panels seem almost untouched...

........nor is it the first time I have seen these folk advertising 911's with the same description. Now I happen to know the owners of that establishment very well and I would trust what the say/sell as being 100% legitimate but as Paul says it would require significant evidence to back up its history/condition/status.

That SZY has been for sale for a few months, lovely car, as is ithe black one !

Another one in Fade Street - seems to be the place to be!
    A BMW of some kind with Broc getting in the way again.:)
    Picture_Small.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Pagoda113

The BMW is a 2500 Saloon. There are a few of them around but I haven't come across that one before.. There is an exceptionally clean one the same colour down in Dungarvan.

There were 2500, 2800, 3.0 and a 3.3L models available at the time. Irish Vintage Scene did a very good article on the 2500 a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

SZY 911 I remember this car when it was new! As I recall it was a dark metallic blue.
    Glad to hear its still around.

rugbyman wrote: »
    SZY 911 I remember this car when it was new! As I recall it was a dark metallic blue.
    Glad to hear its still around.
    Brilliant,was it above in louth that you saw it?Its silver now,and the paintwork didnt seem to be that great either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Yes. It belonged to a businessman in Dundalk. I know him but better not say here. While writing this I rang a friend to discuss the original colour,am still fairly sure it was dark bluish metallic. could be wrong, if thatpicture shows it as greyish metallic, perhaps. Interesting point,was it any more expensive when new than its present asking price?
    Regards,Rugbyman

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement