Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I think what is more important than age is the shape of the car. 1992 Saab 900 has more classic lines (because it looks more less the same like the very first 900 introduced in 1978) than any Audi produced in last 24 years. All Audis are same, just the lights are different. Audi is most likely the most boring car producer on this planet. Just because there isn't many of them doesn't mean they are classics.

I hope we won't be posting 1994 Micras, Corsas and Skoda Felicias soon... That would really kill this thread.

corktina wrote: »
    a 1990 car would be 24 years old now...anything surviving that long is a classic in my eyes.

...car from 1990 a classic. So you are basically saying that in 4 years the round shaped K11 Micra will be a classic? Wow... just wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I think that's the beauty of it, you're idea of a classic isn't always mine and age doesn't come into it really. I have a 2003 Renault avantime that I consider to have classic status whilst others think this completely pointless, too much ßullśhit on here lately about definitions.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I think that's the beauty of it, you're idea of a classic isn't always mine and age doesn't come into it really. I have a 2003 Renault avantime that I consider to have classic status whilst others think this completely pointless, too much ßullśhit on here lately about definitions.

Go to a classic car show with your Avantime and see what is going to happen. Same with Audi 80 and other boring stuff from early 90s.

edit: you can also start arguing with organizers that you think it is a classic so why they are not letting you in :D ... You will get the same answers if you try it with an Audi 80 from 1992. Good luck.

... just now, Boreenmanna rd, Cork.

20140511_140208.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Whatever anyone thinks, I'll not refrain from posting my usual spots (which, most of the time are 80s/90s cars), they're classics in my eyes and I don't see any rules posted anywhere in this thread on what can and can't be posted.

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Whatever anyone thinks, I'll not refrain from posting my usual spots (which, most of the time are 80s/90s cars), they're classics in my eyes and I don't see any rules posted anywhere in this thread on what can and can't be posted.

Those rules aren't written anywhere. It is called common sense you know.

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Those rules aren't written anywhere. It is called common sense you know.

Common sense, yes. They are 20+ years old so they are classics. Whether you want to accept that or not is another thing, of course.

Not that I necessarily agree but I think I read somewhere that insurance company's give jaguar classic status after 5 years. I am of course open to correction on that.

So you are basically saying, that this car is a classic car:

NISSANMicra5Doors-978_6.jpg

... are you serious now, or you're just trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Common sense, yes. They are 20+ years old so they are classics. Whether you want to accept that or not is another thing, of course.

I'd side with kaiser on this but every body has different opinions.

Eg I didn't agree with the modern Porsches n late 90s minis mx5 etc at terenure but some would.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Also wasn't that shape Micra considered revolutionary at the time, like the jelly mould Sierra

I'm_outta_here!.gif

So you are basically saying, that this car is a classic car:

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/gallery/NISSANMicra5Doors-978_6.jpg

... are you serious now, or you're just trolling?

Great that you should mention that. A friend of mine has a 1992 K11 Insured as a classic. So I am serious. Very much so.

Go to a classic car show with your Avantime and see what is going to happen. Same with Audi 80 and other boring stuff from early 90s.

edit: you can also start arguing with organizers that you think it is a classic so why they are not letting you in :D ... You will get the same answers if you try it with an Audi 80 from 1992. Good luck.

Are you serious? Whilst I don't disagree with you modern cars shouldn't be allowed in and I wouldn't bring one, I've seen some ridiculous cars exhibited at classic car shows. I have little interest in 90's stuff and if I were to decide what goes in they would all be 60's 70's but horses for courses and it's ultimately better to have a diverse selection in both age and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Back to the photos lads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Back to the photos lads!

Yeah, but classics only mind:D

roadsmart wrote: »
    Yeah, but classics only mind:D

As you wish -

7895256982_d5abefa8f7_c.jpg
    7979365937_4e88421a11_c.jpg

323 looked quite clean. Subaru is untaxed.

^^^

imgur_9CUtI.gif

I think your photos would be more suited to the other thread, "what's the oldest car you saw today.....":rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I think your photos would be more suited to the other thread, "what's the oldest car you saw today.....":rolleyes:

Good to hear thats what you think. I've posted them there. I think they're suited to here also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Great that you should mention that. A friend of mine has a 1992 K11 Insured as a classic. So I am serious. Very much so.

It isn't a classic. The Audi S2 you posted is IMO. For those who think it isn't, surely they would accept a Quattro is? Are we drawing an arbitrary line at 1990 and if so why?

This car was 1990s, I'd defy anyone to tell me it isn't a classic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_SZ

porsche959 wrote: »
    It isn't a classic. The Audi S2 you posted is IMO. For those who think it isn't, surely they would accept a Quattro is? Are we drawing an arbitrary line at 1990 and if so why?

There you go, in your opinion.

Those are classics in my opinion, so I'm posting them here.

Can we please move on now?

Dont think anyone said the audi wasnt a classic:confused:. It just happened to be in among a load of photos of 90s jap crap.

Dont think anyone said the audi wasnt a classic:confused:. It just happened to be in among a load of photos of 90s jap crap.

Yeah, someone did.

Actually, a few posters did.

Yeah, someone did.
    Actually, a few posters did.

Don't think so. One poster mistook it for an 80, but I can't see anyone saying it wasnt a classic.

Don't think so. One poster mistook it for an 80, but I can't see anyone saying it wasnt a classic.

I intepreted that post as sarcastic but maybe it was genuine confusion. Also were posts saying nothing from 1990s could be considered classic.

I myself questioned whether many of the photographed 90s machines could be considered classic, but I don't think anyone said 'nothing from the 90s could be a classic' either.

• Advertisement

I had taught of that earlier because I saw one at a vintage show in Carnew and taught it was well within its rights to be there but decided not to post because it entered production in 89. Anyway to keep in the spirit of the thread...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement