Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City West €250+25 Freezeout May27/28

Options
  • 13-05-2005 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

This is a €45k guaranteed satellite event that feeds the 16 player only €100,000 Irish Poker tour final.
    It is fully I.P.F (international poker federation) compliant
    1. Who is running the event (organisation, society etc.)
    Irish Poker Events(see pokerevents.ie)
    2. The purpose of the event (charity, commercial etc.)
    This is not a charity event, it's purpose is to give local players the opportunity to qualify for major international events.
    3. Date and Location of event
    May 27/28 City West Dublin
    4. Registration and Start time of event.
    17.30. Cards are dealt at 19.00
    5. Any prerequisites (member of club, society etc)
    Need to be member of pokerevents(can sign up on the night as long as you are over 18)
    6. How can tickets be purchased & is there a maximum number (in advance, at the door etc.)
    Tickets can be won at the Red cow satellite event next Thursday 19th May
    7. Type of Tournament (Hold'em/Omaha etc Freezeout/Rebuy etc.)
    8. Cost of entry and any subsequent rebuys/top-ups etc.
    €250 freezeout. No re-buys.
    9. Cost of registration
    €25
    10. % of entry fee/rebuys/top-up going into Prize fund
    100% of buy in into prize fund
    11. Any guarenteed prize pool.
    €45,000 guaranteed
    12. If applicable, Number of re-buys allowed and over what time frame/blind levels.
    13. Starting Chips
    14. Rebuy and Top-up chip amounts.
    15. Blind levels
    25-50/50-100/75-150/100-200/150-300/200-400/300-600/400-800/500-1000/800-1500/1000-2000/2000-4000/3000-6000/4000-8000etc
    16. Blind timeframes
    40 mins levels
    17. Places being paid and if any prizes are other than cash (free entry to other tournie, merchandice etc)
    Top 18 in the money. Top three recieve tickets to Irish Poker Tour final(€6250each) Ticket value comes out of the prizepool
    18. Are there going to be dealers - and their level of skill
    Professional croupiers at every table and two running croupiers
    19. Will there be a documented list of rules
    Rules are documented and available on the night. Any rules not mentioned rulings will be made to IPF standard.
    20. Is there a tournament director
    Donal MacAonghusa-Director, Richard Neilson-Assistant director, Fintan Gavin-Tournament manager
    21. How are disputes handled - who has final say.
    In the event of any dispute the Directors decions is final in all cases.

More info see www.pokerevents.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pokerevents

For those of you travelling City West Hotel number is 01 4010500.
    Agreed special rate is €80 per single & €110 per double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I'm all over it. Dealer's better be throwing me something better than 10-rag every hand this time. :p

GL to ye Nicky, I'd be happy if another west of Ireland man reaches the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SODSS

Qualified on VC for this tourney so see ye there!(handy considering it only cost $3!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Benglian

Does anyone know if the winners of the VC Pub Poker €10 games have won an entry into this? I won one of them and I seem to remember the guy telling me something about an entry to another tourney as part of the win, but of course I was so pissed by that time, I don't really remember!
    Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Pokerevents can you provide a little more information on the upcoming event. 1) The description states that it's on over Friday the 27th and Saturday the 28th of May. Is it a case of the final table being played on the Saturday or will it be the final few tables on the Saturday. Do you have to finish the Friday session at a particular time due to the hotel management and if so what time is that going to be. Also what time is the Saturday leg likely to kick off.
    2) The description also states that registration begins at 17:30 on the Friday with the cards being dealt at 19:00. Is there any way to pre-register because otherwise it would mean having to take an hour or two of work to get there on time.
    Many thanks

Hi,
    Tournament will be played untill 03.00a.m first day Friday night Saturday morning, with 30 players approx resuming play on Saturday at about 13.00.
    I estimate we will have a winner by 19.00.
    Unfortunatley there is no way to register before the event without turning up in person on the day. Registration is between 17.30 and 18.45.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Hi

Having won one of the $3 sats. I have not received any confirmation of a ticket, I was just wondering what happens next?.

Regards,

BBoyle

Hi BB

We have full list of all on-line winners, so you just need to register on the day between 17.30 and 18.45.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Fintan, will there be food provided for players at any stage? What are the options for those of us heading direct from work (most people I expect) and famished? :)

• Advertisement

ionapaul wrote:
    Fintan, will there be food provided for players at any stage? What are the options for those of us heading direct from work (most people I expect) and famished? :)

Food was served at the Cork and Galway events at the break and it was decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

ionapaul wrote:

City West were Juan Kerrs during the Irish Open about food if I recall with players having to buy crappy sambos and ****ty tea etc from trolleys and a stand.

Fair play to PPP for coming up trumps with pizzas tho.

Fintan, anything in the pipeline re: this from VC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What is it with Paddy Power and pizzas....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Dub13 wrote:
    What is it with Paddy Power and pizzas....!!!
    I don't know but they don't seem to deliver to Austria.

Hi guys,
    full hot meal will be served at the interval which lasts for a hour and is 9 to 10 or at the very latest 9.40 to 10.40.
    see u there

Imposter wrote:
    I don't know but they don't seem to deliver to Austria.

Thats scandalous...in fact its bordering racism,get on to PPP PitBoss about it.She is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Seems as though there will be huge crowd at this - is there a limit to the number of players? I imagine there will be a bigger field than tomorrows game in the Fitz, maybe even over 200? This could be a potentially expensive few days for us poker fiends, and equally potentially lucrative.

Galway 250 had 150runners, Cork 250 had 180runners
    We have more qualifiers and seats sold in advance for city west
    I think we will hit our maximum of 220

Also there will be €100 s.t.t freezeouts starting every 15mins from 8.30 on Friday night and a limited amount running alongside final on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭willis

what will happen if you reach the maximum of 220 players and some players who have won their ticket havent already registered on the night. I won a ticket to this and with rush hour traffic etc, am just wondering if i happen to be late would my place still be held if event sold out. Not planning on being late but with dublin traffic you never know
    Thanks

players with tickets need to register in advance.
    If you register before 18.30 ticketholders are guaranteed a seat, after that we are into the unknown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Will there be any €50 stt's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 QuentinHapsburg

It's only fair to compliment pokerevents on this event so far. 241 runners, into the last 70 and I managed to blow the last of my chips at 1.30am, but have to comment that everything was very well organised, good standard of play and plenty of hot food for all players at the break. Joe O'Neill was chip leader when I left, won his big stack when he went all in with a flush draw, called by players with top pair on the flop and pocket bullets, he drew his flush tripled up and took command of his table.
    Galway tournament on 17/18 is tempting now despite the €400 buy in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Played in this and busted out 45th when the blinds just ate away at my chips after a total card dead session. Went all-in on the SB with 22 when it was folded around and BB calls with 63 and took the pot. He pretty much had to call given the pot and the amount of my raise. Didn't have enough folding equity as I had let myself get down to 4 BBs with blinds at 2000, 4000 after a terrible run of cards.
    They split the game at 3:30 with 33 left. Players of note remaining at that stage were Roy the Boy (chip leader I think), Joe O'Neill, Pat Crowe, Dave O'Callaghan, Ken Dogherty and Adrian. There were one of two other Fitz participants that I don't know by name but I didn't recognise most of the other players.
    Have to say the tournament was well run but a bit disappointed with the blind structure missing a few levels. The 150/300, 400/800 and then the 1,500/3000 levels were skipped. Whatever about the smaller levels being skipped but skipping the 1,500/3000 just killed you if you were short stacked. A jump from 1,000/2000 to 2,000/4,000 is just ridiculous especially when there's a relatively large ante involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

My thoughts on the event: very well run as expected. It started close to time, which is good for such a big field (approx 240 players); the dealers know what they're doing; good meal at break-time, etc.

The structure surprised me though. I was expecting there to be loads of play with 40min blinds and 8000 starting chips, but that only held true for the first three levels. After the break, a running ante started and there was no 150/300 level, which put pressure on anyone floating around the 10-15K mark. This was a stack size that was comfortable before the break, but now all of a sudden had to double up to keep in contention.

The standard of play was very mixed, I thought. I had Paul Lecky and another tough northern player at my first table... these northern guys can really play. But the other players were generally all over the place. Some calling stations, others who liked min-raising, players who liked crap such as QT etc. Generally a poor standard for a 275euro buy-in event.

My 16k after the break dropped to 11k when one such calling station hit a K on the river to make a straight, beating my two-pair AT, even though I played it strongly enough to dissuade a 'normal' player from continuing. Got moved to Dave Callaghans table, where he was doing well and was really owning the table when I left. I soon got knocked out with a hasty move when in the BB with about 10K (blinds at 200/400, antes 50). Five limpers, who all seem weak, so I push with ATo, expecting to pick up the blind/ante/limper money (about 3K). Get one caller, who has AK... and that's it. Ironically he was previously raising with AT, so I was surprised to see that he'd limped with AK. Still, not a good move by me, in fairness, but I'd decided that I wanted to double up before the levels went to 300/600/75.

Hard luck on going out close to the shake-up, Alan. It's great to see some of the Fitz regulars still in, but I hope the structure isn't too tight to allow them to play. And how the hell is Ken Doherty still in! He was down to 400 before the break, ffs!

BTW, anyone know if there will be SnGs running today? Planning to head out to City West today on my way down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Full review is on my blog . Parts of this event were good, but there was an opportunity here to run a 'Poker' tournament. Whatever the facilitys and cosmetics the poker should be the most important.

Very good review, Mike. Spot on about the structure, it really killed the game. I played this for the same reason as you and most of the Dublin scene: 8000 starting chips and 40min levels; surely you can be gaurenteed some decent play. But that just lasted for three levels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 QuentinHapsburg

Good points made on the ante / blind structure. These were set to reach the stated objective I assume of having circa 30 players for day two. Maybe to improve the tournament the organisers should think about having a longer day two - plenty of room for 60-70 players for the second days play.

so would you lot play it again...?

Very nice review Mike. It was actually my SnG I got raped in by some arrogant drunk card catching asswipe but ****e happens.

As for the main event, I really can't remember being so card dead in all my poker playing life. It really was incredible but these things happen, its just normal variance and I'm not unhappy with how I played.

I drew a very good table, apart from KPnuts on my left all of the table was weak except for one northern player across from me, but I'd played him in a cash game in the Fitz the night before and I wanted to get in pots with him. He's a good player and usually only came into a pot by raising but he had a BIG tell when he missed flops.

I didn't see a single flop for the first two levels, the most playable hand being 5-7 suited. Level 3 I saw some more playable hands but took pots down early. With my tight table image no one seemed to want to get involved.

The strong northern player raised 5BBs from MP on my BB and I want to see a flop with him with Q-2 suited. He does this with Ax a lot and I didn't put him ona big hand here but the player on my right came into the pot with him and I let it go. I wanted HU with the northern guy and didn't want to get seduced by the size of the pot 3 handed if I got a piece of it. Unfortunately the boards was J-2-Q-Q-x and northern chap jammed the flop and turn before giving up the pot on the river. I could have taken down a huge pot there.

On the last hand before the break I picked up my best hand. A-Q suited on the button. UTG and UTG+1 limped in for 150 and the pleyer to my right made in 2000 to go. WTF? "TWO THOUSAND?" I asked him. He only had 2400 left. I just knew he wanted to blow everyone out of the pot, figuring everyone would be happy to survive to the break and let him have it. No way was I folding this. He didn't look too comfortable with my grilling him, but I couldn't raise with so many players still to act behind me and one of the EP limpers had a habit of being cute with big pairs. I called and everyone else folded. The flop was low crap, he checked to me and I put him all in with my Ace high. He folded. What an ass!

I had axactly the same as Shortstack at the break, 10,700 and was actually feeling very comfortable after winning the last pot. I knew no one would get involved in pots with me without the goods now. After the break I stole the blinds 3 times with JQ, A-8o, and A-6 suited all from MP. but I never got my stack above 12,000.

I got nothing but total crap for the rest of the tourney and blinded right down. The ante structure is too steep. Considering this tourney is a 2 day event featuring the who's who of Irish poker it should not decend into 2 card poker. There's planty of time for a lot more play.

I pushed with 99 and took the blinds with just 5BBs left. Then pushed again a few hands later with K-Jo and walk into Aces. Flopped a King but didn't hit any of my 5 outs. Out with about 95 players left.

You have got to make plays for pots early in this tourney and do everything you can to get a stack to go deep. You need 40-50K to be any way comfortable.

I really don't know how I could have been any way more creative with the hands I'd gotten. I still can't believe I haven't seen Aces or Kings in any of the 3 supersats. I got past half way in all 3 but have never had the chips to go deep. Without a card rush its very dificult.

Only boards chap I know that was still in when I left was FatboyDim. He seems to have a real knack for the supersats. He's gone deep in all 3. Anyone know how if he is still in for today?

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    so would you lot play it again...?

Only if the structure is improved. I dont like paying 275euro for a game that turns into a bit of a lottery after 2 hrs. You can play any 20euro game in Dublin for the same experience (except that that's a crapshoot all the way through!).

In fairness, my only gripe was with the structure. There's hardly any point in complaining about the standard of some of the players, now, is there! That can only be a good thing; the problem is that the game gets too tight to allow the better players to progress. In saying that, a lot of the players left are some of the best in Dublin, but I'd imagine they had to win their fair share of marginal pots as well.

Advertisement