Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis - Yay or Nay?

Options
  • 12-05-2005 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Inspired by the "The Wisdom of Noel Gallagher" thread over in the Music/Radio forum, which was turning into a fantastic debate, I hereby declare:

I like Oasis.

What say you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ballsmahoney

Nay,nay,nay
    "Its just a matter of opinion"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I loved the old Oasis - changed my life completely. The new stuff, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

They had their moments but the new album is really weak, IMO. Nothing on it which is above average at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

These debates only end in disaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

At least it'll be on topic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

A sly dig eh?

Should have done a poll instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bellx

Doctor J wrote:
    They had their moments but the new album is really weak, IMO. Nothing on it which is above average at best.

Do you not like 'The importance of being idle' or 'let there be love'?? I think 'part of the queue' is great too.
    Its strange the critics seem to love this one, what was it about it you don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Keyzer wrote:
    A sly dig eh?

Should have done a poll instead...

Definately Maybe }
    Whats Da Story Morning Glory }
    Be Here Now }

All pure class, it all went a bit dodgy after that although I have new hope for the latest album.

oh yeah yay. :cool: and gimme back my avatar. :mad:

bellx wrote:
    Do you not like 'The importance of being idle' or 'let there be love'?? I think 'part of the queue' is great too.
    Its strange the critics seem to love this one, what was it about it you don't like?

Dunno, it just left me cold. I gave it a few listens and was just... meh. It was pleasant and all, but just... no fire in it, no oooomph. I thought it was all just very flat.

I can add in a poll if you'd like, but I want to see discussion rather than "Yay" or "Nay" in every post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Doctor J wrote:
    Dunno, it just left me cold. I gave it a few listens and was just... meh. It was pleasant and all, but just... no fire in it, no oooomph. I thought it was all just very flat.

Was 'the meaning of soul' not enough ooomph for ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Doctor J wrote:
    Doctor J sums them up for me, i liked their first two records when they were out, now though i just dispise them for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Oasis are still one of my favourite bands and they always will be. Sometimes I think to myself that Oasis are sh*te but the other day when I listened to the first 2 albums I realised how great they were. I don't believe Oasis have ever put out a bad album, its a simple case that Be Here Now and S.O.T.S.O.G were not in the same league as the first two so their popularity has dropped amongst the casual fans. Heathen Chemistry was a fine album and proved that Oasis are still a cut above most of the bands today. Oasis are an anthems band. Their music is about the songs and not trying to create as many new sounds as possible in order to please the indie kids. I will admit their music is not as creative at this stage of their career as I would wish but I still love this band more than anything. Also they are still as popular as ever with sold out gigs across Britain and Ireland and they have only sold out Madison Square Garden.

Nuff said..... I'm still Mad For it! :D

Cremo wrote:
    Doctor J sums them up for me, i liked their first two records when they were out, now though i just dispise them for what they are.

I really don't understand this attitude. How can you love a band for 2-3 years and then absolutely despise them?? It makes no sense. If you were just jumping on the bandwagon then, then chances are you are just doing the same now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Don't like them, never really did anything for me.

By that, I mean: (So noone can accuse me of blind hatred)

The songs bore me
    Alot of the songs sound the same
    Repitition
    I don't like listening to a whining scumbag
    Repitition

;)

In all, nay.

It makes sense if you thought that while their first two albums were good, they were just recycling the same crap over and over again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Oasis are still one of my favourite bands and they always will be. Sometimes I think to myself that Oasis are sh*te but the other day when I listened to the first 2 albums I realised how great they were. I don't believe Oasis have ever put out a bad album, its a simple case that Be Here Now and S.O.T.S.O.G were not in the same league as the first two so their popularity has dropped amongst the casual fans. Heathen Chemistry was a fine album and proved that Oasis are still a cut above most of the bands today. Oasis are an anthems band. Their music is about the songs and not trying to create as many new sounds as possible in order to please the indie kids. I will admit their music is not as creative at this stage of their career as I would wish but I still love this band more than anything. Also they are still as popular as ever with sold out gigs across Britain and Ireland and they have only sold out Madison Square Garden.

Nuff said..... I'm still Mad For it! :D

Ah now I have disagree and say that Be here now was and still is a great album maybe not as good as Definately Maybe or Whats da story but few are, however i do agree that Standing on the shoulders of giants was a piece of crap.

Oh and I still have much love for oasis

Anyone got a ticket for Marley park 16th July? I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Giblet wrote:
    It makes sense if you thought that while their first two albums were good, they were just recycling the same crap over and over again now.

Not really actually, how does that make any sense?

The songs are different songs, the melodies aren't repeated. Are you viewing this from a purely production point of view?

-oRnein9- wrote:
    Ah now I have disagree and say that Be here now was and still is a great album maybe not as good as Definately Maybe or Whats da story but few are, however i do agree that Standing on the shoulders of giants was a piece of crap.

Oh and I still have much love for oasis

Anyone got a ticket for Marley park 16th July? I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Can't wait for marlay park, but what I can't wait for more is Manchester on june 30th!!What a feckin gig that will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

NAY. Cant stand them. I liked the first two albums for a bit but then went off them bigtime. My taste in music was changing a lot at the time too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I really don't understand this attitude. How can you love a band for 2-3 years and then absolutely despise them?? It makes no sense. If you were just jumping on the bandwagon then, then chances are you are just doing the same now.
    it's their attitude that i can't stand now it's like we are ****ing the best band in the world and if you don't like that **** off type of thing, any picture you see of liam he's giving the salute.

Cremo wrote:
    it's their attitude that i can't stand now it's like we are ****ing the best band in the world and if you don't like that **** off type of thing, any picture you see of liam he's giving the salute.

What has that got to do with the music!!!

Jesus, would you rather Elliot smiths attitude of wanting to kill himself>?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I liked the first two albums. Bought the 3rd and tried to like it, but failed. They went **** after that. Only like bits of the first album now.

But their current single is kinda catchy. Not great... catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Oasis - Yay or Nay?

You're missing an option.

Yay
    Meh <--
    Nay

They're just not interesting anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭JimboPope

I have to admit I was a huge fan of the band in the mid nineties when they were at the height of their powers, I even had the liam galagher hair cut.
    These days i cant stand their music, the first two albums had some cracking tunes but i feel they were a case of being in the right place at the right time.
    The added media hype that was around them at the time built them up to be something they were not.
    They were one of the first 'serious' bands I got into (i was only discovering music at the time) but in their case as in all cases, they were good until I heard something better. As I started looking deeper into their influences and buying records by the stones and the sex pistols and I realised that they were just a poor imitation of what was already around, with nothing new to offer music, just rehasing the same old tunes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

nay
    Jesus, would you rather ElliotT smiths attitude of wanting to kill himself>?

attitude?? i'm sure it was his attitude that made him do it, and there's is alot more to his attitude and music than death and morbidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

I've never understood why Oasis take so much flak over not "progressing" as a band. They're a mainstream rock 'n' roll band. What do you expect, a death metal album followed by some hardcore disco? I happen to love their sound, and I'd hate if they suddenly changed. Oasis are a great band, with great songs. Yay, I tells ya, YAY!!!

I think they're currently less than the sum of their parts. I mean, apart from the Gallagher boys, they've got Ringo's lad on drums, who is a very fine drummer indeed, infinitley better than the last two losers. Gem is no slouch and Andy Bell, well I'd expect the man behind Going Blank Again to be operating at a much higher level tbh.

Doctor J wrote:
    I think they're currently less than the sum of their parts. I mean, apart from the Gallagher boys, they've got Ringo's lad on drums, who is a very fine drummer indeed, infinitley better than the last two losers. Gem is no slouch and Andy Bell, well I'd expect the man behind Going Blank Again to be operating at a much higher level tbh.

The album hasn't grown on you at all then??
    Oh well, have you heard 'step into my world' by Hurricane#1??? I think its a quality song but apparantly Andy suffers from writers block quite a lot.

• Advertisement

Like 'world on fire' a lot btw. Its not that dissimilar in style from 'part of the queue' though!
    I like the little break where the rhythm cuts out and leads into that funkier bit. Are you playing on it? Where'd ya record it?

Advertisement