Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

A couple of posts up

e136.gif

Sometimes I can be so stoopid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

e136.gif

Lurkers need a pep talk from you !

Neither is this, found it some time ago. Looks like a sing-along
    bbb8vh.jpg
    Aero wrote:
    8708860_6542339aaa_o.jpg

This is NOT a picture of the Ballybunion Pipe Band. However, in spite of playing in the band (as a drummer) for a good number of years, I don't have one photo of the various combinations of players. During my time in the band, Milie (spelling?) Costello was Pipe Major. Anyone have pictures of the band(s) from this era? (Say 1965 to 1972.)

Lurkers need a pep talk from you !

Allllll right, you crummy lurkers! Why don't you get off your lazy cowardly asses and post something?! Do you think your families, friends, and loved ones are proud of your behavior here? Skulking in the background like rats in the darkest corner of a hay shed?!

Do you think the people who are important to you would respect you if they knew you were too gutless to actually say something to some friendly people who have something in common with you? What the hell is the matter with you eejits? Were you always backwards? Or is this something new in your worthless good-for-nothing lives?

You lurkers make me sick to my stomach! I'd rather drink rancid camel vomit than be like you!! I'd rather kiss Camilla Parker Bowles than be like you!! (Hey, did you her Charles took Camilla to the dog show? She finished second! :D *rimshot*) I'd rather be French than be like you!!!

What if you were to die tomorrow? What would you tell St. Peter when he asks why you should be let into Heaven? You were too gutless to even talk about Ballybunion anonymously to people who genuinly want to hear what you have to say!

How do you look at yourselves in the mirror?! Aren't you ashamed to be you? You're not? Well, you ought to be!!

Now do something to redeem your pathetic souls and post something and pray you don't get hit by a bus before you start posting or St. Peter will be laughing at you so hard he'll wet his robe as he slams the Pearly Gate in your faces!!

Sandhill,
    how was that? :)

image225vw.gif.

Too tough too soon.

• Advertisement

a090.gif

Something from my Ballybunion experiences

irishlgbeano684bk.jpg

Did you get the DANDY as well ?

Do you remember 'Desperate Dan'?

I could not wait for the Annual Christmas Issues.

When Cherry Tree .in the Listowel Forum .puts up some more photos I have a story to tell about the comics.

Did you get the DANDY as well ?

Do you remember 'Desperate Dan'?

I could not wait for the Annual Christmas Issues.

When Cherry Tree .in the Listowel Forum .puts up some more photos I have a story to tell about the comics.

'Desperate Dan' :rolleyes:

I remember a strip once where he wanted to shave, but his beard was so tough no razor could cut it.

All right, Sandhill, get ready for a blast from the past!

irishsummerspecial19756tr.jpg

irishbeezer3es.jpg

Bully Beef & Chips from The Dandy

irishbullybeefchipsthedandy6jg.jpg

irishcor0fc.jpg

irishcracker1lg21hl.jpg

irishscorcher8zt.jpg

• Advertisement

A90, which one is the convent?

Is that the same convent where all the girls in the area were educated?

I remember my mother telling me about going to school "at the convent."

(I'm guessing #2 - looks like there a cross on top of the building. Did you ever see the episode of Married with Children where Kelly was talking to a priest on the phone and she says, "I'll be right over. Now, you live in the house with the big "T" on top, right? :D )

PIcture It! 9 makes crappy arrows. :(

copyofballybunionconvent6sn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

A90, which one is the convent?

Is that the same convent where all the girls in the area were educated?

I remember my mother telling me about going to school "at the convent."

(I'm guessing #2 - looks like there a cross on top of the building. Did you ever see the episode of Married with Children where Kelly was talking to a priest on the phone and she says, "I'll be right over. Now, you live in the house with the big "T" on top, right? :D )

PIcture It! 9 makes crappy arrows. :(

copyofballybunionconvent6sn.jpg
    #1 is a row of houses. If you could move up from this angle, the houses are in a reversed "L" shape with the long line heading east to the Doon Road. That's where I usually park when coming down to The Nuns' Strand.

#2 was the Convent. It has now been converted into flats (apartments) and I think it is owned by the council (corporation). It was where I also went to school as a small child, before reaching the ripe old age of seven when I went to the Boys' National between Ahafona and the East End.
    I remember Sr. Alavicious and Sr. Louis. They once tied me to a chair and faced it into the corner for chasing the girls into the girls' toilets - and following them in.
    Knuckle-rapping with the edge of a light-oak ruler was one of their favourite pastimes along with cheek-pulling, ear-pulling and pre-pubescent-sideburn pulling.
    Sr. Louis once screamed at me, while standing on her desk, to throw the mouse I had caught in the classroom, on to the open fire. I began to sing All things bright and beautiful as I walked out of the classroom and released the mouse on to the grass outside.
    As I sat snivelling, rubbing the hot welt across my palm from the single swipe of the cane she gave me, I still could not understand why she wanted me to kill one of God's creatures in such a way. I didn't bother trying to catch any more mice though! Ahh, the good old days!

'Desperate Dan' :rolleyes:

I remember a strip once where he wanted to shave, but his beard was so tough no razor could cut it.

All right, Sandhill, get ready for a blast from the past!

irishsummerspecial19756tr.jpg

irishbeezer3es.jpg
    bigfunnylaugh0bz.gif
    *******************************************************bigfunnylaugh0bz.gif

How could I forget the Beezer !jumpy2ao.gif

A90Six wrote:
    #1 is a row of houses. If you could move up from this angle, the houses are in a reversed "L" shape with the long line heading east to the Doon Road. That's where I usually park when coming down to The Nuns' Strand.

#2 was the Convent. It has now been converted into flats (apartments) and I think it is owned by the council (corporation). It was where I also went to school as a small child, before reaching the ripe old age of seven when I went to the Boys' National between Ahafona and the East End.
    I remember Sr. Alavicious and Sr. Louis. They once tied me to a chair and faced it into the corner for chasing the girls into the girls' toilets - and following them in.
    Knuckle-rapping with the edge of a light-oak ruler was one of their favourite pastimes along with cheek-pulling, ear-pulling and pre-pubescent-sideburn pulling.
    Sr. Louis once screamed at me, while standing on her desk, to throw the mouse I had caught in the classroom, on to the open fire. I began to sing All things bright and beautiful as I walked out of the classroom and released the mouse on to the grass outside.
    As I sat snivelling, rubbing the hot welt across my palm from the single swipe of the cane she gave me, I still could not understand why she wanted me to kill one of God's creatures in such a way. I didn't bother trying to catch any more mice though! Ahh, the good old days!

I don't remember ever hearing anyone say anything good about the nuns and brothers who used to teach school in Ireland way back when.

I went to Catholic school in the Bronx and most of the nuns who taught me were nice. Sister Marie Therese (3rd grade) and Sister Rose Anthony (7th grade) could be kind of scary on the days they were in a bad mood.

I think the Catholic Church has been making sure teaching nuns must have calmer, more patient personalities before assigning them as schoolteachers anymore.

smith2605x6620om.jpgHello All,
    this map is from a book on Kerry printed in 1756.
    I have the book, but it is too fragile to scan. Might take photos and post. Lots of info on people, flora and fauna etc.
    Published Dublin 1756

SNOWSCORPION , AERO,A90SIX:
    Even Doon is mentioned. !

smith38zj.gif
    see,Listowel, Lisselton etc?

17568tt.jpg
    Here they are together

1756? :eek:

Ballybunion, Listowel, Lisselton ... they've all been around since before America?

Wow. Very impressive.

And Knockanore has been around since before America?!

OK, I'm being a smartass now. I know the castle goes back to what ... the 1500s, but I didn't know the entire village went back so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

Very interesting map SR. Some of what it shows, I had known about, but had never seen a map. You will notice that there is no significant road from Listowel to Ballybunion. The road to Ballybunion from the east ran around the coast and did not cut off just west of Astee to Doon as it does now. The road south from Ballyb did not cut around the Cashen by Mweevoo and Mweevuck to the narrow part, but continued straight on at Rahoonagh to where the ferry took traffic across to Ayle and through Ardcullan to Ballyduff - which doesn't get a mention on the map. The bridge now over the Cashen is called Ferry Bridge.
    The dimensions are a bit out - only to be expected from a hand-drawn map - but I find it odd that Urlee (Urly) is included just above Lisselton (Lisseltin). It appears to show a castle or tower there. Urlee is a townland on the south-central lower slopes of Knockanore. I do not know of any such structure or ruin there and the only items I can find on the present day Ordnance Survey map is a Holy Well in Lahesheragh North and a Cillín (whatever that is) near Killomerhoe. I am hoping to acquire some Ordnance Survey maps of the area from the early 1900's soon. If I do I shall make some more comparisons.

webp10100237pm.jpg

Some information from the 1756 book on Kerry.I will add more snippets.

• Advertisement

webp10100248df.jpg
    more

webp10100268pk.jpg
    more

webp10100271st.jpg
    more

webp10100302lx.jpg
    more

webp10100322iy.jpg
    One more to come

webp10100338nq.jpg

Sent from Dublin in 1897 to a Mr. Coffey in Boston.

A90Six wrote:
    .... a Holy Well in Lahesheragh North

A90, what's a Holy Well?

Volcano ... bonfire ... six of one, half a dozen of the other. :D

I'll have to read more of that later, Sandhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Jeez, I've been away for a while and these Ballybunion/Listowel threads have gone mad!

Keep it up!

• Advertisement

reic wrote:
    Jeez, I've been away for a while and these Ballybunion/Listowel threads have gone mad!

Keep it up!

Someday, we'll be taking over the entire board! MUHAHAHAHA!!

Advertisement