Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ballybunion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 katefromkerry

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/kerry/killehenny.htm

is a link to those living in Ballybunion in 1850. Some BallyB people might
    recognise their ancestors.

Love the banter, here,
    and in Listowel link.

Pictures are wonderful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

5,000 views!

C
    O
    N
    G
    R
    A
    T
    S
    !

TO:- SNOWSCORPION

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Happy New Year to all followers of the Ballybunion and Listowel threads. I hope next year is good for you all.

BTW, a scobe is a knacker/scumbag/shambo etc.

You know them, hanging about at bus stops, or sitting on walls outside of Centra and the like. Sometimes you see them in family groups too. The male of the species is easily described: the 'tache, the stubble, the ear-ring, tattoo on the arm, gaudy Premiership top, thin features, cigarette hanging out of the mouth, conversing loudy with other male scobes in a language otherwise used only by ostriches.

The female of the species is also fairly distinctive. She generally speaks only to the male, and is always larger than him. Baggy tracksuit bottoms, belly-top with matching beer gut form the plumage. Her general demeanor is usually surly and fairly aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Happy 2006 everybody!

So what have I missed the last few days?

I was out hunting pictures of Ballybunion ... playing cyber-tag and emailing a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who supposedly was going to send me some pics of the village.

But it turns out I was on a wild goose chase. :mad: :(

• Advertisement

Happy New Year to all here.

This could go anywhere, but since I first me the Bash Street Kids when I was in Ballybunion, it goes to the Ballybunion thread. :v:

You might have to click on them to make them bigger.

th_3bb3f_bash_street_kids.JPG

Did you get the DANDY as well ?

Do you remember 'Desperate Dan'?

I could not wait for the Annual Christmas Issues.

When Cherry Tree .in the Listowel Forum .puts up some more photos I have a story to tell about the comics.

desparate.jpg

:D

Hi, A90.

I see you down there in the active user box. :D

It's Wintertime in Ballybunion, so things are slow there and here.One of these months I will walk the Strand once again !
    Tried to get KERRYSEYE to mention the Ballybunion and Listowel Forums in their on-line paper.No mention yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpsideDown

Used to go down to Ballybunion every single summer. I have a granny that lives there. It is where my father lived when he was a boy. Him and the family used to run the hotel down there before the war broke out. Myself and my sister used to love the dodgems and the one armed bandits down there. We used to spend hours on the merry-go-round by the beach making ourselves sick.

Will definately have to go back there soon to see how it is now and visit.
    Brings back good memories when i think of the place.

UpsideDown wrote:
    Used to go down to Ballybunion every single summer. I have a granny that lives there. It is where my father lived when he was a boy. Him and the family used to run the hotel down there before the war broke out. Myself and my sister used to love the dodgems and the one armed bandits down there. We used to spend hours on the merry-go-round by the beach making ourselves sick.

Will definately have to go back there soon to see how it is now and visit.
    Brings back good memories when i think of the place.

The Ambassador hotel,,, as it was called at the time. Think it may be called the golf hotel now or something

UpsideDown wrote:
    The Ambassador hotel,,, as it was called at the time. Think it may be called the golf hotel now or something
    I worked there before it was called the Ambassador ( The Central Hotel- Matt Sullivan was the owner then). My brother worked there when it was called the Ambassador. He probably knows your family.I lived in Ballybunion ,am now in USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

...ok some of the locals are a bit odd.
    c028.gif Why do people keep saying that?

Not wishing to cause offence to any Ballybunion people but I think that is a definite perception by many from outside even from as close as Tralee.

Perhaps its the geographical isolation of Ballybunion being surrounded on two sides by water - there is a definite suspicion of outsiders and it takes time for 'blow ins' to be accepted. Don't know why but as I see it that's the way it is?? :rolleyes:

I worked there before it was called the Ambassador ( The Central Hotel- Matt Sullivan was the owner then). My brother worked there when it was called the Ambassador. He probably knows your family.I lived in Ballybunion ,am now in USA.

He was my grandfather. My dad and him ran the hotel back before the Northern Ireland crisis broke out. My Gran is still living down there. Your brother would probably know my father too.

This image is the Golf Hotel ( Ambassador Hotel).It is the tallest red building in the left background

imag00586io.jpg

This image is of the Central Ballroom ( with Flag flying) & Central Hotel beyond .Maybe late1950 s-1960s
    ballybunion9um.jpg

Thanks to ALFASUDCRAZY for these photos.

UpsideDown wrote:
    He was my grandfather. My dad and him ran the hotel back before the Northern Ireland crisis broke out. My Gran is still living down there. Your brother would probably know my father too.

Hello UPSIDEDOWN<

Please check your private message box.I sent you an email( check top right of your screen after you log/sign in)

Thanks to AERO for these images, from a past thread
    Aero wrote:
    Two images of the Central / Ambassador / Golf Hotel

8708924_284069b3b5_o.jpg

8708914_6b7462daa9_o.jpg

Hope you have your sound on. If not, it is still OK.

viewcard.asp?code=JN27675759

The BALLYBUNION Forum is the place for :
    Golf, Sea Air and many Memories.
    Come back again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

It was sad about the motorcycling races in Ballybunion last Sep. I wonder will they be held anymore now? It was the first year of them an all - what a strange freak accident. :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/4257912.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kerrygirl

Hi I'm Kerrygirl,

I saw your beautiful pictures and I was wondering if youu had any other pictures from the 50's ar any time around then, I'd love to see them.

Cheers.

Hi there, how are you all to-day ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭A90Six

kerrygirl wrote:
    Hi there, how are you all to-day ?:)
    Tower Bridge. Up and down. I'm overworked and underpaid, over stressed and under the weather, overjoyed at your interest and under obligation to ask the same of you.

How are you today?

I saw the picture last posted, that road leads down to the beaches, funny enough my sister lives in Ballybunion and I believe that is her car in the photo. over that wall was the old castle hotel. :)

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your so down, but remember the glass may be half empty but it is also half full,

Beautiful pictures of Ballybunion, well done.

:)

kerrygirl wrote:
    Hi I'm Kerrygirl,

I saw your beautiful pictures and I was wondering if youu had any other pictures from the 50's ar any time around then, I'd love to see them.

Cheers.

Hi there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Not wishing to cause offence to any Ballybunion people but I think that is a definite perception by many from outside even from as close as Tralee.

Perhaps its the geographical isolation of Ballybunion being surrounded on two sides by water - there is a definite suspicion of outsiders and it takes time for 'blow ins' to be accepted. Don't know why but as I see it that's the way it is?? :rolleyes:

You think Ballybunion people are "odd", what about Beal??!!

• Advertisement

Hi Kerrygirl.

Have I mentioned that I like Kerry girls?

Advertisement