Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarianism

Options
  • 11-05-2005 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭

Are anyone here Vegetarians?
    I'd like to be one, but to be honest I dot like vegetables, and if I didnt eat meat, I wouldnt really get much food at all. And no,Tofu and vegetable protein don't taste like meat.

I hate the idea of animals getting killed for food, and I hate the look of raw meat. I've given up red meat, but I like chicken too much to give that up.

Anyway, just something I was thinking about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I'm too lazy to be vegetarian to be honest, if there were easily accessible alternative options to meat available then I might consider it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Veganism. Because honey is murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

dont particularly have a problem with killing an animal if you're goin to eat it, killing it for sport is wrong though. i had a theory once though: if we all become vegans then in a few generations our brains would start to become smaller because primates used to scavenge bones and crack them open to eat the meaty marrow inside(hence the beginning of us growing larger brains) only a theory with a few holes in it but think about it, if its right-being a vegan you are actually jeopardising the survival of the human race.

quite possibly a load of ars.e though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I don't like food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I'm a vegetarian and I'm not a big fan of vegetables.

It's not difficult to get all the nutrition you need though.

Cereal with milk for breakfast (vegans are crazygonuts:p)
    Sandwich/Roll with cheeze, egg, sweetcorn or noodles etc for lunch.
    Pizza or frozen meal for dinner 'cos I'm too lazzy to cook properly (sort of).

Yoghurt, fruit etc for snacks.

I also take 100grams of whey protein per day beacuse I go to the gym (I didn't for years and never lost muscle, but if you're weightlifting you might want to look at it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You kidding? Being a veggie is easy! Forget the way you THINK you dont like vegetables.. its all down to how they are prepared.. Make a vegetarian Chilli or Fajita or something and you will never go back to meat.
    Myself.. im a pescatarian which means im a vegetarian who eats seafood.

A Prawn Green curry is yum but just as good without meat. Just replace meat with mushrooms etc... Im telling you its easy and i make food just as good without meat as i did with. Im a good cook i suppose so that helps.

Tesco do vegetarian burgers and i swear i cant tell the difference between them and beef burgers... most beef burgers dont have much beef in them anyway.

Quorn is very good.. their mince and chicken like products are yum.
    Tofu is NOT supposed to taste like meat!! Its not even a vegetarian designed product... its simply a type of food used in Asian cooking that can be eaten by veggies. It absorbs the taste of what its cooked in so if done right is yum!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

We didn't spend a billion years fighting our way to the top of the food chain to eat SALAD, now did we?

We didn't spend a billion years fighting our way to the top of the food chain to eat SALAD, now did we?

No we did not... you are right.. we did not spend a billion years doing anything ya muppet :D We are not that old.

Salad??? please if thats what you think we eat then feck off somewhere else. Salads are the same as what meat eaters eat... an appetiser or side dish... very few people would eat as a main course unless they are not hungry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I had a large steak last night. I am not a veggie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Saruman wrote:
    YouMyself.. im a pescatarian which means im a vegetarian who eats seafood.
    i have never understood that line of thinking, whats the difference between killing a cow for food and killing a fish for food??

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote:
    No we did not... you are right.. we did not spend a billion years doing anything ya muppet :D We are not that old.
    I don't mean you and me personally, but our decendents from the primeval ooze... :eek:
    Saruman wrote:
    Salad??? please if thats what you think we eat then feck off somewhere else. Salads are the same as what meat eaters eat... an appetiser or side dish... very few people would eat as a main course unless they are not hungry!!
    I'm a meateater and I don't eat salad. In fact I make it a rule never to eat anything that didn't have eyelids.

I dont miss meat especially since i eat fish.. i can tell you.. When i cook a Tuna steak or even better, a sword fish steak it tastes better than ANY beef steak i have ever had.

there are times i would love a steak or some ribs but im content... the flavour is what i miss, not what im eating so if i make something that tastes the same then i dont even care i cant eat some ribs.

toiletduck wrote:
    i have never understood that line of thinking, whats the difference between killing a cow for food and killing a fish for food??
    Depends if the fish was grown for food, or just caught.

My veggie mate says it's cool to kill wild stuff if you're hungry.

Toiletduck...

People are vegetarian for many reasons.. you would be surprised to know that a large proportion of us, especially pescatarians are like that NOT because we have a problem with killing animals as such.. it can be for health reasons too..

In my case its health.. Meat is harder to digest, Red meat i cant eat at all as it makes me sick (eventually).. i have Colitis and Beef especially can mess me up. I can eat a small bit but a full steak can be bad.

So since im restricted to chicken, turkey, pork.. then its not a big leap to cut them out and just go veg/fish.

Another reason might be disgust... Do you have any idea how meat is handled? Ever been to a slaugher house? Ever see what happens to meat in a supermarket when its not in display???

Another reason like health is simply this.. you are not likely to get any of the numerous and ever increasing poisons and dieseases if you skip meat.. Mad Cow anyone?

Do you now understand? not everyone is Veggie for ethical reasons..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

yea, i think i get what you're saying. Im still gona eat meat though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Saruman wrote:
    Another reason might be disgust... Do you have any idea how meat is handled? Ever been to a slaugher house? Ever see what happens to meat in a supermarket when its not in display???

Another reason like health is simply this.. you are not likely to get any of the numerous and ever increasing poisons and dieseases if you skip meat.. Mad Cow anyone?

The same arguement could be made for pesticides and such used on vegetables. It is a bit of a toss-up to be honest between poisonous chemicals and cow feces.

Now of course you can have organic vegetables - but you can also have organic beef and lamb and pork etc. There is an option now.

Whatever floats your tofu boats. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Me likes meat.

Me kills moo cow and eats it.

Me thinks veg tastes like dirt.

EDIT: Regarding the Mad cow disease thing doesn't that incubate for some 15 years before making itself known so being a veggie now won't help your chances.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Saruman wrote:
    Toiletduck...Another reason might be disgust... Do you have any idea how meat is handled? Ever been to a slaugher house? Ever see what happens to meat in a supermarket when its not in display???

Quorn is very good.. their mince and chicken like products are yum.

Fair points all but with wild fish stocks going down the pan at an alarming rate due to overfishing and farmed fish(salmon in particular) helping them on their way with local estuarine pollution, pescatarians are in just as big a moral grey area as other meat eaters. I mean cattle are hardly on the way to extinction. The same however can not be said of cod and other cold water fish. The destruction to habitats that the fishing industry is to blame for can not be underestimated. From a purely ecological standpoint it can be well argued that pescatarians are on shaky ground. For me, I reserve equal amounts of disgust for such practices(as one example the salmon and sea trout numbers running our rivers have been decimated in the last 20 years mainly due to commercial overfishing and fish farming).

When it comes to the health benefits of fish, while I agree fish as a food group are arguably healthier, most of the farmed fish we eat(salmon in particular again) can be very contaminated from high levels of mercury, pcb's and other contaminants in their food(mostly ground up "junk" fish not suitable for market). To a lesser extent these contaminants also show up in the wild stocks too, especially in apex predator fish such as tuna and swordfish for much of the same reasons. Toxins tend to travel up the foodchain so the top predators tend to have the highest concentrations in their flesh.

Quorn is all fine and dandy but the amount of transfats in the stuff kinda puts me off. Yum they may be, healthy I'm not so sure.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im a vegetarian.
    tesco_vegetarian_burgers_NE.jpg

try these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Saruman wrote:
    Myself.. im a pescatarian which means im a vegetarian who eats seafood.

You're a meat eater, let's be honest here, Fish is a meat....

I am vegetarian and one of the things I hate is when people tell me that they're vegetarian but they eat fish (I don't mean you Saruman, you've already described yourself as a pescatarian), If you eat fish you are eating meat and you are not a veggie at all.

thank you,
    /Kone

Kone wrote:
    You're a meat eater, let's be honest here, Fish is a meat....

I am vegetarian and one of the things I hate is when people tell me that they're vegetarian but they eat fish (I don't mean you Saruman, you've already described yourself as a pescatarian), If you eat fish you are eating meat and you are not a veggie at all.

thank you,
    /Kone
    It's OK to eat fish, 'cause they don't have any feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

Yeah Its Okay To Be A Cannibal So Long As Your Dinner Is Under Anaesthetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

Honestly i think i can change your mind. Steak is just so beautiful. Spicy Peppercream sauce, lushious chips, gorgeous green beans and of course the succulent steak! omg it's almost sexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

any proof for this mad cow to human link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Honestly i think i can change your mind. Steak is just so beautiful. Spicy Peppercream sauce, lushious chips, gorgeous green beans and of course the succulent steak! omg it's almost sexual.

I agree with you completely (except the steak bit), I love pepper sauce and chipc and green beans! I use either Tesco Veggie Quarter Pounder burgers or make my own 'virtual-steak' instead of eating cow-meat.

Tusky wrote:
    Im a vegetarian.
    tesco_vegetarian_burgers_NE.jpg

try these.

Yup those are the ones i mentioned.. lovely... both the burger size and 1/4 pounders!!

Anyway like i said earlier.. i dont have a huge moral objection to eating meat... i would still if i could im sure.. but since i cant im not going to cry about it.. I mean by not eating meat i came off prescription drugs that cost me the full whack every month (€85 now is it?) Also the side effects of every single prescription drug are mind boggling!! so im healthier without im sure. I take Vitamins every day too to keep healthy.. i eat well. I could be a full blown vegetarian if i liked, sometimes i go more than a weak without any seafood.. only Veg.

But what do vegetarians put in a steak sandwich? :confused:

Saruman wrote:
    ...sometimes i go more than a weak without any seafood.. only Veg.

how Freudian!
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

To be honest, I don't like beef anyway, so i still wouldnt like vegetarian burgers that taste like beef.

Tofurky is to turkey like artificial sweetner is to sugar IMO.

Too bad they dont sell meat, from animals that die naturally. Couldn't see any problem with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement