Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global Trade Partners

Options
  • 09-05-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Has anyone here used Global Trade Partners to import a boat from the U.S.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 excalibur__17

macnas wrote:
    Has anyone here used Global Trade Partners to import a boat from the U.S.?

never heard of it,,, what kind of boat are you planning on getting

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

A sports cruiser of some description. They advertise quite a few on apolloduck.ie. I was just wondering if anyone here might have used them or have imported a boat from the states and what's involved, shipping, duty, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kandle

Just came across your message and am interested to know what was the outcome. I am also looking in to Global Trade Partners and want to make sure that this is all genuine to get a boat over here. I spoken to Mr M. O'Carroll and understand the electrics are 110V etc so some added hassle but still good deal on paper?

Did you take things further? You can email me direct on luis@kandle.co.uk

Luis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Burke

any reply kandle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Burke

bump!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Powerboat.ie

Be careful on the possible legal and insurance implications of importing a non CE marked pre owned boat !!!

I am not an expert on it and have no agenda here !

But I understand there has been hassle on the Shannon for the owners of some such craft when they try to insure or trade in.

Kind regards,

Stuart

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Be careful on the possible legal and insurance implications of importing a non CE marked pre owned boat !!!

I am not an expert on it and have no agenda here !

But I understand there has been hassle on the Shannon for the owners of some such craft when they try to insure or trade in.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Stuart - Are most of the boats on the Shannon insured? What are they insured for? Theft/Fire etc?

I'm thinking of insuring my RIB.. just incase. We have an exact same clone as your blue Lenny ;) except with a 2 stroke Yamaha 100 ... I prefer to work with 2 strokes tbh, eventhough theyre less economical. I lifted the head last year out of pure bordem and woah the Carbon build-up!

Still though, passed a days bordem!
    Have you sold your Lencraft yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭dosfromclare

Hi found this thread and I am in a thinking of buying a 26' sport cruiser. Has anyone any experience of this company or others importing from the US to Ireland ?

Thanks in advance,

DOS

There have been some happy customers.
    There have been some un-happy customers.

Basicly get a survey done on the boat and it was advised to fly out and view the boat in person. Personally, I wouldn't import from the US. I have my own reasons, each to their own etc.

My main reason would be the petrol engines. I can honestly say that I will never own a petrol sports cruiser, diesel all the way

Thanks for that John.

The diesel vs petrol question is one I am struggling with. I am looking for a trailerable boat, living in Kildare, use would be on Shannon and sea (cork/east coast mixed). 24-26 ft with reasonable comfort. This really points to petrol from what I have been looking at up to now I think.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that John.

The diesel vs petrol question is one I am struggling with. I am looking for a trailerable boat, living in Kildare, use would be on Shannon and sea (cork/east coast mixed). 24-26 ft with reasonable comfort. This really points to petrol from what I have been looking at up to now I think.

What's the difference in tow-ability between a 24ft petrol and a 24ft diesel?

Sorry, the engine type is only affecting the availability and choice of boat available not the tow-ability at all. The 2nd hand boats in the segment I am looking at seem to be 95% petrol.

Sorry, the engine type is only affecting the availability and choice of boat available not the tow-ability at all. The 2nd hand boats in the segment I am looking at seem to be 95% petrol.

Plenty of diesels available esp. if youre importing, there's even a few on Apolloduck in Ireland.

The only thing you need to change is your budget if going for a diesel. They may (and are) more expensive to buy, but if you plan on holding onto the boat for a few year's you'll make your money back on fuel savings and the boat will hold its value better.

I saved over €1800 last season by having a diesel instead of petrol. So say you pay an extra €9k for a diesel, you'll have your money made back after 5 seasons, and the boat will have held it's value better

Thanks for the advice John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

A guy near me used them last year to import a bayliner. No problems so far. From looking at apolloduck.ie they have a large selection and I'd imagine the boats(smaller ones anyway) would be in good condition as many american owners of such boats around 21 feet do not moor them but put them in and out of the water when they are using them. They might spend the rest of the week on the trailer in the driveway. Maybe give them a call and see how professional they sound. If they were willing to take care of the importation details I would consider it. The only issue is not getting to inspect the boat yourself before you bring it into Ireland, but perhaps you could get an independent inspection stateside?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mikesmerc

Hello all, been emailing Global myself all seems fine, but what worries me is the hidden costs involved.
    Does anyone know what is the approximate import duty on sports/leisure craft. All I can see is that any thing up to 7.5m is 1.7% and anything over is 1.7%. All of this is then subject to 21%. Why split the lengths when they are both 1.7%?
    All very confusing to a thick novice like myself.
    Anyone any ideas.
    Mike

I thought Global took care of all importing details, or do they just ship it to you and you sort it out yourself?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Would be interested in hearing of anyone dealing with these people first hand too...

aloleary wrote:
    Would be interested in hearing of anyone dealing with these people first hand too...

Do a Google, loads of happy/unhappy stories, from my reading it's pretty much a 50/50 gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Sound...

Defo not worth taking the risk to go with them for me... would prefer to do an import myself... even with cost of flights etc... save a fortune... boats cost waayy too much here... I know a self import is hassle but if you plan it right it works well and can really get a good deal... know some people who have done it and have more near a 100% satisfaction rate !

-A

• Advertisement

Importing is a LOT of hassle esp. where a big boat is concerned. Next time i'll be paying someone to throw my boat on a truck and drop it at my doorstep it's just too much stress

JohnCleary wrote:
    Importing is a LOT of hassle esp. where a big boat is concerned. Next time i'll be paying someone to throw my boat on a truck and drop it at my doorstep it's just too much stress
    Do global not do this no? I thought they bought it as far as the port anyway, probably on a container, then you could probably ship it using an Irish company familiar with boat transport to your door. On the other hand, I know of a few places that will import the boat for you, there is one place in Schull in West cork. It may cost you slightly more, but you get the piece of mind of not having to organize everything and you can just wait for your boat to arrive! A bit like importing a car from Japan I suppose, if you know what you are doing you can save money by doing it yourself.

astraboy wrote:
    Do global not do this no? I thought they bought it as far as the port anyway, probably on a container, then you could probably ship it using an Irish company familiar with boat transport to your door. On the other hand, I know of a few places that will import the boat for you, there is one place in Schull in West cork. It may cost you slightly more, but you get the piece of mind of not having to organize everything and you can just wait for your boat to arrive! A bit like importing a car from Japan I suppose, if you know what you are doing you can save money by doing it yourself.

I was talking about importing personally.

GTP bring the boat to their depot in the UK and you collect it from there, although im sure for a fee you could have it delivered to your door. I just don't see how anyone in their right mind would pay for a boat without even seeing it in the flesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jackandjade

I am in the process of importing a 28ft Bayliner from Florida. Pretty straight forward. I have been looking for some time now from as far afield as Japan and the Netherlands. There is nowhere as cheap as the states for a boat. This thing of petrol v diesel is an absolute load of rubbish. I have had both and both are pretty equal when it comes to consumption. There is no real difference when it comes to the price especially now that revenue are stopping boaters use green diesel.

I have 2 inboard 260hp chevrolet engines with Volvo Penta outdrives on the boat coming in giving a total of 520hp when running on dual power. There are no boats with this kinda power available outside the states for the money I am paying. Even when you add in the transport, duty and Vat on top it still lands in Dublin for a reasonable amount. Global Trade Partners are very highly respected and I know a few people that have used them and had no problems. I myself have gone it alone as it is pretty straightforward to be honest.

Anyway, dont ever be put off with petrol engines as the country is full of them at the moment mainly because of how quiet they are compared to the diesel versions

This thing of petrol v diesel is an absolute load of rubbish. I have had both and both are pretty equal when it comes to consumption. There is no real difference when it comes to the price especially now that revenue are stopping boaters use green diesel.

I'm sorry, but to use your own words against you, TOTAL RUBBISH.

Show me evidence that a petrol VS. diesel of same HP consumes the same - It's a lie. Also show me evidence that the revenue are stopping boaters use green diesel. REMEMBER, THE UK AND IRELAND ARE DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, SO NO UK LINKS PLEASE

Also - No price difference? Sorry, but how is there no difference between 69c/l diesel VS. 119c/l petrol? (Possibly as cheap as 55c/l if you buy in bulk which I will start doing soon)

To give a practical example. I have a Volvo KAD32 170HP diesel engine which pushes my 2000KG boat at 34knots. A mate of mine has a small bowrider Regal with a Volvo 4.3 V6 (225HP I think?)

Granted, he has a higher top end speed, probably cause his boat weighs less than half mine, but when we're both travelling at 30knots, he consumes about double the fuel

To back-up my claim, PM me and you are more than welcome to come out for a spin, and at the end of the day when we top up the tanks, my claim will become clear. I can honestly say that i'll never buy a petrol boat again, i'm not saying it for the fun of it.

jackandjade - Fair enough, if you want a 500HP boat for cheap, defo go to the states, i'm not disagreeing with you there. Some people just want straight out power and don't care about consumption, other's want enough power with a bit of speed and economy. I'm the latter

Advertisement