Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course are you doing or have done?

Options
  • 09-05-2005 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

I was going to add a poll but couldn't be bothered!

Am going back next year to finish my physics degree, was wondering what other people are upto?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

I'm currently studying BIS, in third year doing my internship in the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm currently doing a Ph.D in Computer Science, did Comp Sci a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

BComm (Euro) 2nd year

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

final year of social science 3 exams done 5 to go....hmmm.... :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

BIS 2, ugh face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

comp sci 4, end draws near but not near enough...

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

3 here too. I'm over the worst though.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

i know a guy who was repeating last august, he had a three hour exam each day for four days!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

3rd elec eng work experience in dooblan at the moment.

Are the timetables for exams not the same every year or were they changed due to the addition of the medical subject or are they completely different? I know we got the same timetable as last years third years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hey deranged what are you doing your Ph.D in, i mean what field of research are you looking at?
    How do they treat ya there, is there much work involved, do you get a grant from enterprise ireland?

Im thinking of maybe doing one a year or two. Currently finishing out my Masters here in dublin and interest is growing on me to go the whole hog and do a Ph.D in UCC (graduated from CIT but satan himself couldnt tempt me back there).

Would like to hear feed back from you about it, if possible

jank wrote:
    Hey deranged what are you doing your Ph.D in, i mean what field of research are you looking at?

I'm working on grid and distributed computing.
    have a look at http://cuc.ucc.ie.
    How do they treat ya there, is there much work involved, do you get a grant from enterprise ireland?

I'm well treated, there's a shedload of work involved. I'm funded, but not by Enterprise Ireland. There's a few other bodies that fund people, Science Foundation Ireland being one, the HEA being another.
    Would like to hear feed back from you about it, if possible

No problem - I'll answer anything I can.

I came back to college after a few years working in Dublin and it was the best decision I ever made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cool. It sounds like something id consider in the future, a few years down the road. After 5 years of college im a bit sick of it at this stage, so I need to get out in the real world and work.

Not sure what area id be interested in either but should have a better idea latter on.

Did you find it hard adjusting back to college life after working, expecially the money part of it. You cant be on much now though you may be doing extra lectures or tutorials etc. Are you? How many hours a week do u put into it?

jank wrote:
    Did you find it hard adjusting back to college life after working, expecially the money part of it.
    yeah, but it was more the attitude adjustment - being in charge of my own hours and so on. that took a fair while to get used to - I went from a clock in/clock out system to a turn up if you feel like it system.

You cant be on much now though you may be doing extra lectures or tutorials etc. Are you? How many hours a week do u put into it?
    I was doing about 6 hours demonstrating but that's finished now, and I don't think I'll be doing anymore. I'm well funded so the money thing isn't an issue. I've gone through periods of being fairly broke which sucked, specially just when I started and was used to having major disposable income. It was my choice though so it made it a bit easier.

It was definitly the right choice to return to college. Now I've about a year to go and I'm wondering what to do next - whether to stay on as a postdoc or get a job.

oh - and I reckon about 60 hours is the average week - and it's a 7 day week.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Akula

im in third commerce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whacker26

I think ye all should be doing a course in manure management....
    ya bunch of wellie lovin' farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I did Elec Eng for a while, I did Comp Sci for a while and as of October I'll be doing the Evening Law Degree. There goes my social life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

I'm in third year law.. well.. almost..

have a repeat tomorrow and if that goes pear shaped I might have to spend the rest of my life picking pears or something..

a pear was the first thing that came into my head.. mmm.. pears

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

First year comp sci waiting on results to see if they'll take me back for round two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

i'm oving down from dublin to do arts i a couple of weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

I just finish me arts degree - english and psych. Last exam today as I couldn't do dem in the summer! Oh I'll miss UCC.

Anyone know when the repeat results are out?

I dunno when they're supposed to come in the post but keep an eye on Student Web Services, they're usually put up quickfast

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

DawnMc wrote:
    Anyone know when the repeat results are out?
    It's either friday the 9th or monday the 12th of september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 killermonkey

going into first year medicine...bit apprehensive, always have wanted to do med, but reallllllly want to enjoy college life as well. anyone know just how bad it is in terms of workload? im an arts/law student at heart....goddamn ye with those 10hours of lectures a week

when I was in first/second year I hung out with a bunch of med and dent students and they were all pissheads so I think you'll manage to have a social life. Congrats on getting medicine!

im an arts/law student at heart....goddamn ye with those 10hours of lectures a week

well, law did seem sweet at first with so few lectures but you have to do an awful of study in your own time.. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Arts - Irish and French.

Fear my powers!!!!!!!

Advertisement