Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SIGPO - Notify

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

RuggieBear wrote:
    You need to slice your image into pieces and then for each piece insert a url. Here's mine (dropping the "." in the code tags, obviously) ;)

ah i see. but does that not break the single image rule? :D

another rule which needs to be looked at. if someone has ten images in their sig provided that they dont total more than 20k then they should be left alone, provided they dont take up too much space.

Aye....it's been mentioned but clarificatrion was sought. :)

I agree re the 10 images in a sig. It is possible to recreate my sig using 14 images and still be within the size (data and viewing) rules...i just couldn't be arsed using it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

2 rows of 7 pieces would give you 14 separate images.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I can only think of two reasons as to why the sig rules are in place at present:

1 - Large sigs would take up too much screan real estate
    2 - Large sigs would take up too much bandwidth for both boards and the end user

He is complaing that the extra little bit of text in my sig fall outside the rules. Ironically he has a little bit of extra text in there too. The only difference is 1 or 2 characters and the size of the text.. Large fonts do not take up more bandwidth so technically I using a minute amount of extra bandwidth over himself.

This is pathetic. He should be banned I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Relax Lads....

Its handy to have someone looking out for the more obvious rule breakers who have sigs that make useing the forums a less than pleasent experience. I am also aware of individuals who have reduced the size of their sigs after being notified of the rules and who have claimed that their sigs were always within the rules.

If your sig is slightly bigger than the rules allow, dont fret about it. Right now I will be doing the removing and I will make the final decision. I will ask anyone notifying not to go after anyone with a small rule infringement. However the rules are there for a reason and if we allow people to break the rules, we must allow everyone to break the rules.

There may be times when the rules can be relaxed for special events, but what has happened recently is that the rules were relaxed and sigs got out of hand, I spent the guts of 8 hours cleaning up crap sigs because some users thought it was funny to have over sized sigs.

So its easier for me to have a Zero Tolerance approach and just change sigs, or people like the sig police can find these individuals, ask them to stop in a very polite way, most will change their sig and Im left with a small number of to clean up at the end of it... sounds good to me.

If there is a better way, Im open to suggestions, and can we keep this friendly, they are only sigs, and they can be removed en mass if its going to be a headache, so lets not go there.

I will ask my little orks to go easy on the sigs that are only slightly outside of the rules, however bear in mind that the script which is being repaired at the moment will simply remove a rule breaking sig even if its one pixel out. So may I suggest you learn to put your text within an image and learn how to use an imagemap.

Phew

Vex.

Gentlemen and Gentlewomen of the SIGPO, please do not report users who are only slightly over the sig allowance, there is more worthy prey out there.

Matthewthebig ... are you listening...

Thanks

V.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Common Sense... on boards.ie.... I MUST be dreaming

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Fair enough Vexorg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I think amp is breaking the rules, but I'm not going to be the one to say it to him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

So is Cloud technically

I have resigned too much effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

goin'_to_the_PS

13:53 06/05/05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Perhaps the rules need changing to allow small images and text.

Corruptedmorals

14:01 06/05/05

The Fitz

14:05 06/05/05

BaZmO*

Notified at 14:21 06/05/05

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Raphael wrote:
    BaZmO*

Notified at 14:21 06/05/05

Seriously Dude, Get a Life!!! :rolleyes:

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

BaZmO - any idea how irritating animated sigs are??

any, should this not so much be about exact pixel sizes and exact rules, and be more about the actual real estate its taking up - how obtrusive it is, and the loading time that it effects?

I mean, the only thing that i can see that really, REALLY needs a definite, 100 percent enforced line under it is animated sigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Vexorg wrote:
    Gentlemen and Gentlewomen of the SIGPO, please do not report users who are only slightly over the sig allowance, there is more worthy prey out there.

Matthewthebig ... are you listening...

Thanks

V.

I would look to apologise to Vexorg for posting the Superfriends logo in this thread. I didn't realise it was an official admin thread given that it was not posted by an Admin.

@amp ... thx...

@wizzard, technically it may be breaking the rules, but its discreet, there is worse out there.

@BaZmo .... stop it... absolutely no amimated sigs no matter how small. I will allow you remove it yourself.

crash_000 wrote:
    BaZmO - any idea how irritating animated sigs are??

Fair enough if the Admins have got a problem I'll get rid of them, even though the gifs are from the Boards website.

But the point I was making was the fact that somebody would go to the trouble of picking out random posters and basically snitch on them. Like c'mon FFS has he got nothing better to do? :rolleyes:

B.

Picking out random posters? I PMed you because I was browsing a thread you posted in and noticed your sig was breaking the rules.

And there's a difference between snitching on you and asking you politely to put your signature inside the rules you should know that you're breaking

• Advertisement

Jaysus, some people do get their cacks in a twist for the smallest of things, I think Raphael said it fairly well.

The purpose of this thread is to ensure inso far as possible, that offending sigs do not get several polite pms to advise of the rule breaking.

The alternative is an admin just removing your sig and leaving a warning.

Isnt it better that you have an opportunity to reduce the size of your sig, remove offending material or do what is needed so that more people can enjoy reading boards.

Sigs are there for a bit of fun, the rules are there due to abuses in the past, things are slipping again sig wise, these reports are a help to the admins. So please the next person to abuse anyone will get a smack.

Vex.

Raphael wrote:
    I PMed you because I was browsing a thread you posted in and noticed your sig was breaking the rules.

Is that not random?

Raphael wrote:
    And there's a difference between snitching on you and asking you politely to put your signature inside the rules you should know that you're breaking

Yeah but who died and put you in charge? Seriously though, why would you want to go around and start reporting people because they have a sig that's a little too big or has a couple of little gifs in it? I suppose at the end of the day if it makes you feel better about yourself well then more power to your elbow but personally I think it's a bit sad, but hey, that's just my opinion!

Vex. I understand where you are coming from and I agree with you, and after all you are an admin so therefore that's why I removed sig but I still think it's a bit sad on Raphael's behalf.

B.

Is that not random?
    Not really, random poster implies that I just grapped some random user with an ilegal sig. At least, that's how I read it
    Yeah but who died and put you in charge?
    Put me in charge of whatnow?
    Seriously though, why would you want to go around and start reporting people because they have a sig that's a little too big or has a couple of little gifs in it?
    They're a great source of personal annoyance to me. And since they're breaking the rules as well, It means I can take measures to get rid of the damned things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

mountain.out.molehill.a.making.of.a

Raphael wrote:
    They're a great source of personal annoyance to me. And since they're breaking the rules as well, It means I can take measures to get rid of the damned things.

You do know that there is an option to turn them off?

But as rkm has said "mountain.out.molehill.a.making.of.a" so we'll just leave there then shall we?!

B.

Tis only the giant/animated ones, but yeah. Molehill indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

But the point I was making was the fact that somebody would go to the trouble of picking out random posters and basically snitch on them. Like c'mon FFS has he got nothing better to do?

I'm with Bazmo on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is that not random?

Unless someone wants to crawl through the entire member listing 1 by 1, random is really the only way! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Another perfect example highlighting the amount of ****s using boards.ie

• Advertisement

fortuneg

Notified at 14:31 07/05/05

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement